Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2013 at 12:55
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

^^^Now THAT is the Masterlist! Wow...The Zombies are the first album listed? Anyone familiar with the album? I only know "She's Not There" because Santana covered it.

Somewhat...saying The Zombies are progressive rock is beyond a stretch, though.  Really cool band, but c'mon.
But they were using an organ... in 1964!  JS Bach wasn't even using an organ in 1964.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2013 at 12:56

^^^Now THAT is the Masterlist! Wow...The Zombies are the first album listed? Anyone familiar with the album? I only know "She's Not There" because Santana covered it.

Somewhat...saying The Zombies are progressive rock is beyond a stretch, though.  Really cool band, but c'mon.

Have you ever actually heard "Odessey and Oracle?" It's a very, very good album and I'd say it fits into the proto prog category. No really long songs but very good arrangements and a bit of tron. Wink
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2013 at 13:00
Odyssey and Oracle is another story. "She's Not There" is waaay before that.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2013 at 13:19
Sorry getting off topic, but the electric keyboard in Sun Ra's1956 album Supersonic Jazz gives it a very early JRF feel to me:

Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2013 at 13:25
Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

Have you ever actually heard "Odessey and Oracle?" It's a very, very good album and I'd say it fits into the proto prog category. No really long songs but very good arrangements and a bit of tron. Wink

I've not heard it, but the previous post was talking about their mid 60s "She's Not There" period (which was listed as the name of their album, which isn't true).  By 1968 we already had a number of "proto-prog" candidates.

Also according to wiki they used a tron because they couldn't afford session musicians.  LOL

Edited by Padraic - November 15 2013 at 13:26
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2013 at 13:35

I've not heard it, but the previous post was talking about their mid 60s "She's Not There" period (which was listed as the name of their album, which isn't true).  By 1968 we already had a number of "proto-prog" candidates.

Also according to wiki they used a tron because they couldn't afford session musicians.  LOL

Speaking of our beloved mellotron, after seeing the wiki prog list I began wondering when the 1st recorded use of the mellotron occurred.  I always thought it was the flute intro to Strawberry Fields but according to wiki:

British multi-instrumentalist Graham Bond is considered the first rock musician to record with a Mellotron, beginning in 1965. The first hit song to feature a Mellotron MKII was "Baby Can It Be True", and Bond performed live with the machine in televised performances, using solenoids to trigger the tapes from his Hammond organ.[31]
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2013 at 14:37
I am surprised that no on has mentioned the first Vanilla Fudge album (1967), which definitely applied some progressive elements (consciously or otherwise).
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2013 at 15:10
Sigh......here we go again with the first prog album debate, something which, in truth, has been worn to death, surely?Ouch

According to this grand site, it was, of course, a Miles Davis album from 1940-odd. Nonsense, but it is here.

However, seriously, when will people come to the realisation that there was no definitive first prog album? Progressive rock evolved from a whole host of influences and artists messing about.

If you have a difficulty with that, compare it to evolution in the animal kingdom. Can anyone state when the first cognitive human lived, where, and what he first said? No. He/she was the result of evolution, which developed over a number of years and different human geno types.

I know it is not the best analogy, but it is the only one I can think of this evening.

The point I am making is that you can point to a number of 1960's albums and say......that sounds like prog! The artists themselves never described it as such, because the phrase was not invented as a specific rock genre until the early 1970's. What the artists did was experiment and evolve. The end product of that was progressive rock.

It will never be possible to define the first prog rock album. Why do we keep on (and on...and on....and on...) trying to do so?

Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2013 at 15:21
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Sigh......here we go again with the first prog album debate, something which, in truth, has been worn to death, surely?Ouch

According to this grand site, it was, of course, a Miles Davis album from 1940-odd. Nonsense, but it is here.

Speaking of worn to death, we've been over the reason for this about a million times.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2013 at 15:43

Speaking of worn to death, we've been over the reason for this about a million times.

But not as many times as the first prog album.......I have a long way to go with this one yet, especially when I am in the middle of a bloody good wine drinking sessionEvil Smile
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2013 at 15:53

a bloody good wine drinking sessionEvil Smile

Clap

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2013 at 16:24

a bloody good wine drinking sessionEvil Smile

Clap

There is actually a sad story behind this tonight.

On a Friday evening, I normally travel into Carmarthen (the local town) by bus to meet two friends, where we sit down, have a few pints and a couple of shorts, and generally make the world a better place by sorting it out. Friday is my treat, if you will, after a hard week's work.

However, this morning, there was an awful crash on the local main road. Two people were killed, and my wife and mother in law missed it by a matter of two minutes. Thank God! The road was closed for hours, so no bus into town.

So, this evening, I am sitting down in the sitting room. The family is watching Children In Need (the UK telethon). And I am listening to Rush Live, drinking far too much wine for my own good.

My intentions above, BTW, were not to resurrect the additions debate, but rather to point out the pointlessness of the first prog album debate.

Of course, neither will ever be settled Wink

EDIT. My comment "thank God" probably reads very poorly and disrespectfully. It was not meant to be. A loss of life like that is awful. I am, though, relieved that Glynis and her mother were not caught up in it.

Edited by lazland - November 15 2013 at 16:30
ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2013 at 18:02
Originally posted by maani maani wrote:

I am surprised that no on has mentioned the first Vanilla Fudge album (1967), which definitely applied some progressive elements (consciously or otherwise).

Yep.  If Vanilla Fudge had done original material instead of cover after cover, this would be a contender. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2013 at 20:44
[Sigh......here we go again with the first prog album debate, something which, in truth, has been worn to death, surely?]

Nope. That wasn't my intent when I started this thread. What others discuss on here is up to them though but I didn't say to myself "ooh let me start another thread where we can all argue about what the first prog album is." Hey, why don't we instead argue about what the newest prog album is? What prog album was released yesterday? Or today for that matter? Big smile

No, I just wanted to find out what others thought were other contenders for the first prog album besides ITCOTCK or other obvious choices. A lot of people still seem to think "court" was the first but I think a lot of that is because it was pretty well known and did admittedly kick the genre into high gear but that doesn't mean it was the very first. For me at least it's not about arguing but just throwing album titles out there(which was done mostly on the first page).

Edited by Prog_Traveller - November 15 2013 at 21:23
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2013 at 21:45
The debut album from 'Skin Alley'......
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2013 at 02:08
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

It only qualifies for this thread if it was recorded in the sixties. According to this site and one other it came out in 1970. I don't know when it was actually recorded though.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2013 at 02:17

Presumably only mentioned because Rod Argent was involved I guess
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2013 at 02:23
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Presumably only mentioned because Rod Argent was involved I guess

To be fair "Odessey and Oracle" is an album that definitely has elements of prog that was to occur just a little later. Listen to that album before you guys say they weren't prog. If people on here can mention things like Vanilla Fudge and the Electric Prunes then trust me the Zombies can be tossed in that mix too if only for the O&O album. However, even some of their early singles(not so much the ones that were hits)had some minor keys on them and were a bit different from what other bands were doing.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2013 at 03:10
Just to add a little soupcon... while once admiring the Asia Live in Tokyo DVD John Wetton mentioned "something from 1967" before Asia then covered ITCOTCK. I think JW (Family) might've known RF (GG and F) before said RF formed KC. Perhaps (it may be widely known, I only recently leaned) that ITCOTCK might've been in the works since 1967. It doesn't make it the first just the first absolute genre classic. But the notion of the music being writen c. 1967 just underlies the school of thought of structuring experimental rock / classical ideas. A similar one is PF sketching out ASOS apparently "alienating" producer Norman Smith with this radical idea.

Any other radical ideas out there now?

Oh, the Asia thing is not that new, Wetton covered it with Hackett (still no direct involvement with the original) so it's a mere tribute. Unless... he was perhaps peripherally involved way back when.

P.S. As no one can agree as to the first...  what was the second prog rock album? Wink

NP: Miles at the Blackhawk Vol. 1 (great...)

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2013 at 03:49

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

It only qualifies for this thread if it was recorded in the sixties. According to this site and one other it came out in 1970. I don't know when it was actually recorded though.
Well, several years back I bought the re-issue Akarma vinyl and it states on the back cover P1969 & C2003, so I assumed it was from 1969. It could be like Atomic Rooster's debut and VDGG's 'Least We Can Do...' in that it may have been recorded late '69.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>