Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

10 hours

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smartpatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10 hours
    Posted: November 15 2013 at 11:32
When you check for new posts, the first several lengths of time you can choose from are every two hours, from 2 to 16. Except you can't pick ten? Why not? I can view posts from the last 2 hours, posts from the last 6 hours, and posts from the last 16. But no ten? And what about 14? This is very troubling to me. Is this really the direction PA is going; inconsistencies everywhere? TOTAL ANARCHY?
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2013 at 11:48
The number 10 presents bizarre coding issues because of its binary format.  And fourteen isn't a real number anyway.

edit:   since this is in the serious forum, I should add that I'm only kidding.

Edited by HolyMoly - November 15 2013 at 11:50
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2013 at 12:34
The hour interval numbers  (1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 12, 16, 24) is a sequence of numbers that can be written as the product of factorials::

1 = 1! 
  2 = 2!
  4 = 2! x 2!
  6 = 3!
  8 = 2! x 2! x 2!
12 = 2! x 3!
16 = 2! x 2! x 2! x 2!
24 = 2! x 2! x 3!

10 and 14 are not part of that sequence.

This has no significance, it's just one of those interesting mathematical curios.

The time-intervals approximate to a crude log-scale because this is how we perceive the passage of time - it also keeps the number of options in the drop-down to a minimum while still maintaining a degree of usability.... assuming that it ever actually works.

New album for 2015: Centaur

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2013 at 13:07
Just go for 12, that will include the last 10.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2013 at 13:33
Don't worry man.  I've been here since 2006 and the forum still accuses me of spamming.
PROG ROCK SUCKS IT DIED A LONG TIME AGO AND WILL NEVER COME BACK. ALL OF YOU OLD ASS MOTHERf**kERS GET A LIFE
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic