Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
56 [76.71%]
17 [23.29%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2013 at 15:55
some of the bands from the `80`s where. great others crap.
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
progvincent View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2013 at 10:50
I'm absolutely in love with 80's music, mainly because of the many talented guitar players, singers, as well as keyboard players. I can't help but love the synth sounds the hair metal bands used. You've got some rotten eggs in there, but seriously, there was a massive amount of talent in there too!
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2013 at 11:00
Generally 80s music is bad, but some of it is great.  Yesterday I listened to some old Street Sounds Electro compilation LPs, I used to collect those back in the day.
rotten hound of the burnie crew
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2014 at 23:34
Many ’70s prog bands and artists broke up or otherwise changed drastically in the ’80s, but there were plenty of exceptions, which I continued to follow: Camel, Yes, Mike Oldfield, Anthony Phillips, Steve Hackett, Todd Rundgren, Jethro Tull, Barclay James Harvest, Moody Blues, a returning King Crimson. Some I continued to follow with less enthusiasm, like Genesis (Man on the Corner was the first of theirs I actively disliked). And there were some that began in the ’70s that took a while for me to discover: the Enid, Saga, Sky, Dixie Dregs. And of course there were the “neo-progs” like Marillion and IQ.

There were a lot of older albums by these and others that I was just discovering; but further into the decade, I discovered quite a few artists considered “alternative” that appealed to me and helped to fill a new-music void: U2, Ultravox, Tears for Fears, Midnight Oil, Waterboys, Cocteau Twins, Durutti Column, Thomas Dolby, Pretenders, Squeeze, Wall of Voodoo, XTC, 10,000 Maniacs, Big Country, Love and Rockets, The Smiths, Joe Jackson, Talking Heads, The Police, Split Enz, R.E.M., Dream Academy, and on and on.

I also got into so-called New Age and Electronic: Vangelis, Ashra, Klaus Schulze, Michael Stearns, Kitaro, Harold Budd, Gurumander; Windham Hill artists like Mark Isham, George Winston, Michael Hedges, William Ackerman, Liz Story.

So to sum up: you’d better believe there was a lot of great music in that decade, and IMO trying to compartmentalize great music as being exclusive to one particular era or decade, or to say that all or most music from one era or decade is crap, shows helplessness and an inability for deeper understanding.

And BTW, hair metal bands were a total non-issue for me.

Edited by AreYouHuman - October 04 2014 at 23:51
Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 04:48
Originally posted by AreYouHuman AreYouHuman wrote:

There were a lot of older albums by these and others that I was just discovering; but further into the decade, I discovered quite a few artists considered “alternative” that appealed to me and helped to fill a new-music void: U2, Ultravox, Tears for Fears, Midnight Oil, Waterboys, Cocteau Twins, Durutti Column, Thomas Dolby, Pretenders, Squeeze, Wall of Voodoo, XTC, 10,000 Maniacs, Big Country, Love and Rockets, The Smiths, Joe Jackson, Talking Heads, The Police, Split Enz, R.E.M., Dream Academy, and on and on.

I change this whole stuff by Simple Minds.

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 05:00
RUN-DMC and what followed after that is probably the greatest revolution in music expression ( and of art, danxing and audio development, im a big fan of street art, thanks to hip-hops huge part of creating it.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 06:26
I voted no I am sorry
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 07:21
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

im a big fan of street art, thanks to hip-hops huge part of creating it.
hey !! I used to have a train-line 'tag' in fancy writing............
........even did some 'pieces' back in the day............
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 08:05
Every decade has its awful music and every decade produces something of value if you are prepared to look. 

[But then music is not delineated on neat 10-year intervals - it did not all change at 00:00:01 on the 1st January 1980 as the new decade dawned and it did not come to a graceful end at 23:59:59 on the 31st December 1989.]

Sure the 80s produce some dross, but so did the 60s and the 70s, and every other decade since. If oyu were never going to like The Bay City Rollers then you weren't going to like Culture Club or Banarama, just as you ain't going to like The Pussy Cat Dolls or Boyzone, or whatever is flavour of the month this week.

Some good stuff came out in the 80s, some good stuff survived through it, some good stuff came out of it and some good stuff was produced that was never heard of again.

Talk Talk began as synth pop but no one could have predicted they would come up with Colour of Spring or Spirit of Eden after hearing Today or It's My Life on Top Of The Pops.

Here's a few more: A Certain Ratio, All About Eve, Alien Sex Fiend, Altered Images, The Associates, Toni Basil, Bauhaus, The Books, The Birthday Party, Cowboys International, Chrome, Anne Clark, Classix Nouveaux, Comsat Angels, Cocteau Twins, Dali's Car, Dead Can Dance, The Dream Academy, The Europeans, The Explorers, Fad Gadget, The Fixx, Fields of the Nephilim, John Foxx, Gentlemen without Weapons, Girls At Our Best!, Nina Hagen, Head Of David, The Icicleworks, The Immaculate Fools, The JAMM's/Timelords/KLF/K-Foundation, Killing Joke, Kissing the Pink, Annabel Lamb, Magazine, The March Violets, The Monochrome Set, The Lover Speaks, Love and Rockets, Modern Man, Modern English, The Mission, New Model Army, The Passage, Peter and The Testtube Babies, Penetration, The Pop Group, Pop Will Eat Itself, Public Image Limited, The Punishment of Luxury, Random Hold, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Sisters of Mercy, The Slits, Slow Children, The Sound, Spliff, The Teardrop Explodes, Tuxedomoon, Virgin Dance, Virgin Prunes, Victorian Parents, Wire, The Wonder Stuff, Xmal Deutschland, The Clan of Zymox, etc, etc, etc.
What?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 08:17
A loaded qestion for this WS. I liked eighties music for everything except progressive music as only Rush and Soltice caught my fancy. But many New Wave or New Romantics, or whatever they were called, I did actually enjoy. Strangely, 80's metal did not float my boat either but to many it was a time of metal bliss.

Edited by SteveG - October 04 2014 at 08:18
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 10:52
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

thatas info you uaualy tell 40 years after as secrecy is important in piece making, its very uncool to tell anyone, whos real name is behind the signature.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 10:56
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

A loaded qestion for this WS. I liked eighties music for everything except progressive music as only Rush and Soltice caught my fancy. But many New Wave or New Romantics, or whatever they were called, I did actually enjoy. Strangely, 80's metal did not float my boat either but to many it was a time of metal bliss.
T'was a time of metal bliss.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 18:15

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

thatas info you uaualy tell 40 years after as secrecy is important in piece making, its very uncool to tell anyone, whos real name is behind the signature.
I think around 25 years after is fine, it's all long gone now. Nothing exists.
Did love RUN DMC and BEASTIE BOYS back then......
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2014 at 01:32
I have a special affinity for 80s hair metal, arena rock, and pop music. It's possibly the only decade I can say I usually enjoy the strictly labeled "pop" music of the time. Must be the self-conscious plastic-y quality of it all. My 300+ song spotify playlist for the 80s is evidence enough of this weird fascination.

Also I just like synths.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2014 at 05:59
Not all 80s metal was hair metal. In my list I only gave one metal band (Head of David) but the 80s was the birth of all extreme metal. Napalm Death, Voivod, Cathedral, Metallica, Megadeth, Venom, Savatage, Dream Theater, Mayhem and Celtic Frost were all active in the 80s.

What?
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2014 at 06:32
It's actually a bit tough to like metal music and not like any 80s metal whatsoever because that decade defined much of metal as we know it now.  
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2014 at 08:25
you forgett Panthera ^ :D i actualy had a season where i heard all 4 Panthera glam-metal era.
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2014 at 18:23
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Not all 80s metal was hair metal. In my list I only gave one metal band (Head of David) but the 80s was the birth of all extreme metal. Napalm Death, Voivod, Cathedral, Metallica, Megadeth, Venom, Savatage, Dream Theater, Mayhem and Celtic Frost were all active in the 80s.

Oh I like a lot of the more respectable metal too. And since metal implies a harder edge, I've never really thought of most hair metal as "metal" but common terminology and all.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2014 at 13:39
In the '80s, you could still pick up excellent seats at a concert for $10-$15.....and you could still see Frank Zappa. live, so, yeah, I loved the 1980s
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2014 at 13:54
Golden age for the more traditional metal subgenres would extend to the mid/late 1970s and not just the 1980s. The more extreme styles arguably didn't really take off until the 1990s. I'm obviously just playing devil's advocate here, but people mostly into newer black/death metal tend to kind of "read the genre's history backwards" if you know what I mean.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>