FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe President Was Shot...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2013 at 20:32
Watching the cleaned-up version of the film on YT is certainly intriguing....I hadn't watched it for years.   It doesn't appear the car slowed during the head shot but lots of people swear it did, almost to the point of stopping.

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2013 at 07:29
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Watching the cleaned-up version of the film on YT is certainly intriguing....I hadn't watched it for years.   It doesn't appear the car slowed during the head shot but lots of people swear it did, almost to the point of stopping.
There is a video on YouTube which (apparently) shows the brake light on JFKs car going on. Of course this doesn't show how much the car actually slowed.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2013 at 11:43
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Writing a blog hardly carries any fiduciary responsibility to only write properly researched and scientifically provable truth.  

OK, then pick one of the many books devoted to the subject that makes the case for Oswald being the assassin.  I hear Bugliosi's book is fairly comprehensive.

And I can find just as many books that make the case for a conspiracy so it's a wash.

"People will agree with you only if they already agree with you" - Frank Zappa Wink

Edited by The.Crimson.King - November 25 2013 at 11:49
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2013 at 11:50

Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Writing a blog hardly carries any fiduciary responsibility to only write properly researched and scientifically provable truth.  

OK, then pick one of the many books devoted to the subject that makes the case for Oswald being the assassin.  I hear Bugliosi's book is fairly comprehensive.

And I can find just as many books that make the case for a conspiracy.

"The only people that agree with you are people that already agree with you" - Frank Zappa

Whatever.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2013 at 12:03
The only moment when a conspiracy seems possible for me is before the assassination, that is, I have no doubts that L.H. Oswald was the only shooter (there were only three shoots -the "4 shots" in the House Committee findings were found to be  a very defective sound tape-, there was no "magic bullet - Connolly was sitting to the left and below JFK, and the lack of damage in the bullet itself has been replicated -, and three shots were possible in that time and with that level of skill), but maybe somebody put him up to do it?

That is the only moment where conspiracies are not totally impossible for me but still, too many questions. Why would they choose such a loser to carry out THE conspiracy of recent times? On the other hand, one can say that Oswald was certainly good at acquiring skills he was deeply interested in (sharpshooting, Russian). Also, if he was so obviously a political crazy who went back and forth with Russia, Cuba, and communism, why wouldn't they keep a closer track on him? How could he get the job in the Depository Book? A pre-Dealey Plaza conspiracy is the only possible for me. 

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2013 at 13:04
I'm sure you can find a printed book that claims JFK was killed by Extraterrestrials - all it means is that someone wrote a book, dun't make it real.

To have a complicated alternative opinion you need to have some reason to doubt the more plausible simpler reason. 

When countless eye witness accounts state 3 gun shots then why does dictaphone recording that lacks any veracity, traceability and proven provenance throw all those accounts into doubt? They cannot prove that the 4th noise is a gunshot, they're not certain about the time or the location where it was recorded. They are not even sure it was a recording from the Policeman it is claimed to be, even he does not believe it was recorded with his microphone because the motorcycle engine note was wrong for his type of bike. When the "evidence" is that shaky it does not warrant being called "evidence". 

Similarly, there is no real reason to doubt that Oswald could have fired three shots with the Carcano rifle in the time required and his marksmanship was sufficient to have hit the target with two of those three shots. He'd owned the rifle for 7 months, he knew how to use it and knew its idiosyncrasies. Taking into account that Oswald was an above average but not exceptional shooter, the gun was deemed "a very accurate weapon" by the FBI and that with the speed of the car and the angle from the window meant that it was not a difficult shot, then it is very plausible that he was the lone shooter, it also does not discount the possibility that pure dumb luck was involved. The quality of the evidence for a second shooter and a forth shot is too tenuous, too unsound and too fanciful by comparison.

What?
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2013 at 19:19
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

There is a video on YouTube which (apparently) shows the brake light on JFKs car going on. Of course this doesn't show how much the car actually slowed.

True, it's the Z film.   In clean versions the brake lights clearly come on.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2013 at 19:30
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

When countless eye witness accounts state 3 gun shots then why does dictaphone recording that lacks any veracity, traceability and proven provenance throw all those accounts into doubt? They cannot prove that the 4th noise is a gunshot, they're not certain about the time or the location where it was recorded. They are not even sure it was a recording from the Policeman it is claimed to be, even he does not believe it was recorded with his microphone because the motorcycle engine note was wrong for his type of bike. When the "evidence" is that shaky it does not warrant being called "evidence". 

Similarly, there is no real reason to doubt that Oswald could have fired three shots with the Carcano rifle in the time required and his marksmanship was sufficient to have hit the target with two of those three shots. He'd owned the rifle for 7 months, he knew how to use it and knew its idiosyncrasies. Taking into account that Oswald was an above average but not exceptional shooter, the gun was deemed "a very accurate weapon" by the FBI and that with the speed of the car and the angle from the window meant that it was not a difficult shot, then it is very plausible that he was the lone shooter, it also does not discount the possibility that pure dumb luck was involved. The quality of the evidence for a second shooter and a forth shot is too tenuous, too unsound and too fanciful by comparison.

Well described.   We needed a visit from Ockahm.   Though I admit I often feel it is unusually difficult to apply his razor in this case.   The "hypothesis with the fewest assumptions" would probably be that Oswald acted alone.   But that could also be the theory with the most assumptions.   At least the 'Oswald Alone' notion is the simplest.

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2013 at 10:07
IMO there are enough unanswered questions and other aspects to make one wonder what really happened that day but what always puzzled me was why Ruby ,a small time gangster with Mob connections, cared that much about Kennedy to  shoot Oswald. It simply doesn't make much sense to me.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2013 at 10:10
Senseless acts of violence don't make sense... Wu'd a thunk it?
What?
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2013 at 10:36
On the contrary, senseless acts of violence make a lot of sense... for the perpetrators. That's why they get done.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2013 at 14:13
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

On the contrary, senseless acts of violence make a lot of sense... for the perpetrators. That's why they get done.

Yep......, what's your take on why Ruby went after Oswald? At that point it wasn't even clear if Oswald had indeed shot Kennedy. So why would a small time hood throw his life away and shoot him in front of the whole world? Was he some kind of Kennedy freak or was there more going on there? And then he goes to jail and eventually dies from cancer and never says much about it all.
A conspiracy minded person would think he was getting rid of Oswald (a loose end...)so the whole case would be blamed on the patsy and since he was dying from cancer anyway it didn't matter to him.  Did Ruby do this for some one else...like the Mob..?
But then that's just silly talk....isn't it?
Wink
Haquin
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2013 at 14:15
Yes but let's remember Ruby lived on for a while after this so a proper conspiracy shouldn't have left such an obvious living liability. Yet he lived on. 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2013 at 14:21

Yes but let's remember Ruby lived on for a while after this so a proper conspiracy shouldn't have left such an obvious living liability. Yet he lived on. 
But as I pointed out he developed cancer and perhaps he knew this from day one....so he did it as a last favor to some group and kept his mouth shut. Maybe 'they' threatened his family or set them up with money..?
But as I said it's just conspiracy nonsense....we all know it was just a Lone Gunman.
Ermm
Haquin
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2013 at 14:33
I really don't know if in your last statement you are being sarcastic or not.

Anyway, I've always thought that the JFK case is one of the few cases where you don't have to be a nutcase in order to believe a conspiracy theory; but evidence still overwhelmingly favors the lone man alternative.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2013 at 14:38

I really don't know if in your last statement you are being sarcastic or not.

Anyway, I've always thought that the JFK case is one of the few cases where you don't have to be a nutcase in order to believe a conspiracy theory; but evidence still overwhelmingly favors the lone man alternative.

Moi...? Sarcastic...?   Never.   Wink
As I said earler in the thread I'm on the fence on this one...it could go either way from what I've read over the years.
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2013 at 14:48
BTW.....does anyone know why Jim closed the Charles Manson thread...?
Confused
Haquin
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2013 at 20:47
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

what's your take on why Ruby went after Oswald? At that point it wasn't even clear if Oswald had indeed shot Kennedy. So why would a small time hood throw his life away and shoot him in front of the whole world? Was he some kind of Kennedy freak or was there more going on there? And then he goes to jail and eventually dies from cancer and never says much about it all.
A conspiracy minded person would think he was getting rid of Oswald (a loose end...)so the whole case would be blamed on the patsy and since he was dying from cancer anyway it didn't matter to him.  Did Ruby do this for some one else...like the Mob..?

It is a mystery and yet, at that time, it seemed to somehow make sense.   The whole country was angry, sad and outraged.   The climate in Texas was reactionary and often violent.   Here was a ganster from the east coast who'd been running numbers, guns, and ladies his whole life, finally wound up being the "man to see" in Dallas if you wanted to conduct some action, and ends up gunning down LHO in a police basement no one other than cops should've been in (had the DPD gotten Oswald into a car and away, he might've been much safer from that point on), and ruining his life by being the man who killed our only chance to hear from the accused and see justice done, instead of becoming the hero he thought he'd be.   That is assuming he wasn't put up to it.  

Personally I'm convinced ~ as convinced as one can be in this case ~ that Ruby and Oswald not only knew each other but were actively involved in local Dallas crime.   Whether Lee Oswald was some sort of Federal informer or provocateur does not negate the probability that these two were hanging out and up to all sorts of sticky business.

Edited by Atavachron - November 26 2013 at 20:53
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2013 at 21:56
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

BTW.....does anyone know why Jim closed the Charles Manson thread...?
Confused
I don't understand it either. I guess we are not adult enough to talk about someone so idiotic as Manson.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2013 at 22:05
Having just read it, it makes perfect sense it was closed--  the consensus seemed clear, what more is there to say   The likely outcome would be a dark discussion about why Charlie was such a mean guy.

'nuff said about it in this thread, me thinks.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>