Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2013 at 10:44
Tony Banks, although Keith Emerson is a close second if only for 

Edited by iamathousandapples - November 22 2013 at 10:45
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2013 at 13:59
Tony Banks, with nods to the "Ricks" -  Wakeman and Wright.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2013 at 17:25
Originally posted by iamathousandapples iamathousandapples wrote:

Tony Banks, although Keith Emerson is a close second if only for 

Emo is the showman, absolutely. But I prefer the more subtle touch and soundscaping of one Richard Wright.

Ok, I'm a Floyd anorak LOL
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2013 at 21:08

Keith Emerson

When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2013 at 23:33
Just listened to the piece 'Dreams Wide Awake' (National Health) and it proves to me (again) that Dave Stewart out-of-this-world
genbanks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2013 at 07:36
TONY BANKS without any doubts. He is

Virtuoso
Great songwritter
Great performer live
Great lyricist
Pioneer in many things about keyboards
Truely musician
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2013 at 08:55
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

This is easy---overall Banks--he's a real genius and can do it all----even if he is smug, pompous, conceited a hole.LOL

I guess I have to vote for Tony Banks too. Keith Emerson deserves all his votes too. However, I very nearly voted for George Duke. I'm sad that he's currently sitting with zero votes. Would someone else please do the honors.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2013 at 15:19
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

This is easy---overall Banks--he's a real genius and can do it all----even if he is smug, pompous, conceited a hole.LOL

Well said...especially the last bit LOL
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 21:57
Tony Banks, for me, is the greatest keyboardist/pianist in rock history. I know there are so many others who deserve mentioning, but Banks is my favorite of them all. Such a tasteful player and someone who didn't need to dazzle the listener with his technical facility, although he had this in abundance. Besides his obvious gift for counterpoint, his approach to harmony is unrivaled in progressive rock. I can think of no other player whose chord changes make the same kind of impact as Banks'. All of the members of Genesis were important, but I feel that this band wouldn't have had the kind of influence had it not been for Banks' own keyboard playing and song-writing.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2014 at 00:13
Lately I'm really getting into Neal Morse's keyboarding - he really is extraordinary.....
Rudess too.
Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2014 at 00:26
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Lately I'm really getting into Neal Morse's keyboarding - he really is extraordinary.....

Rudess too.

I agree. Neal Morse is a fantastic musician and a first-rate composer. Such a blessed and wonderful talent he has!

Rudess is insane too.

King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2014 at 01:43
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

Such a tasteful player and someone who didn't need to dazzle the listener with his technical facility, although he had this in abundance. Besides his obvious gift for counterpoint, his approach to harmony is unrivaled in progressive rock. I can think of no other player whose chord changes make the same kind of impact as Banks'. All of the members of Genesis were important, but I feel that this band wouldn't have had the kind of influence had it not been for Banks' own keyboard playing and song-writing.

Most of this is about songwriting/composition. I agree that Banks is one of the greatest composers of the last century, but in terms of pure musicianship, there are many who are more virtuosic and diverse. I feel similarly about Neal Morse.

My vote is easily for Keith Emerson. He could play literally anything he wanted to, with two different keyboards at once if necessary. His playing takes from just about every era of classical music and substantially from jazz and even ragtime/honky tonk and a couple others. He could improvise great ideas, as opposed to studiously composing. That was part of his approach too, but it's evident that the ideas poured out of his fingertips and he'd scrawl some of the main ones down later. He was not a genius composer (although a very good one), but definitely a genius musician.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2014 at 04:59
Zawinul for jazz and fusion (especially In A Silent Way era) but for symphonic prog rock. Tony Banks. Emerson for the first ELP LP and Wakeman for Yes high lights but Tony has the longevity, creativity, consistency, adaptability and only 1 or two annoying synth sounds that have turned up.

Like to mention Ian Underwood for his Zappa / Mothers work. I've a late '60s recording of him playing Wolfie's Piano Concerto in B and it is superb.
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2014 at 08:42
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

Tony Banks, for me, is the greatest keyboardist/pianist in rock history. I know there are so many others who deserve mentioning, but Banks is my favorite of them all. Such a tasteful player and someone who didn't need to dazzle the listener with his technical facility, although he had this in abundance. Besides his obvious gift for counterpoint, his approach to harmony is unrivaled in progressive rock. I can think of no other player whose chord changes make the same kind of impact as Banks'. All of the members of Genesis were important, but I feel that this band wouldn't have had the kind of influence had it not been for Banks' own keyboard playing and song-writing.

Does Banks solo works have the same brilliance? If so, which would you highlight as your fave ones? I'm thinking about checking it out because i know nothing about it.

I'm just curious about the reason for omitting from the list f.e. Jürgen Fritz, Detlev Schmidtchen and Manfred Wieczorke, i think it's pretty wrong not considering their work as brilliant as the others more renowned ones.

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
genbanks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2014 at 14:06
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

Does Banks solo works have the same brilliance? If so, which would you highlight as your fave ones? I'm thinking about checking it out because i know nothing about it.

Well, I must say that not. The only masterpiece, as a whole album, on Banks solo career is Curious Feeling, IMO. A conceptual and symphonic piece with stunning instrumental tracks and great instrumental passages inside the songs. Out of this he has some great tracks here and there. Some of his best pieces (aside from Curious Feeling) could be Thursday the twelfth (stunning instrumental from Bankstatement), Still it takes me by surprise (an acoustic ballad with an interlude on classical piano), Another murder of a day (an epic with Fish on vocals), both two from Still, and his best IMO, An island in the darkness, a prog masterpiece of 17 minutes long from Strictly Inc. He has some pop or prog pop pieces good too on those albums. His movie soundtracks have good things too.

I think that Banks needs some muscial partner to give power to his creations, as Hackett and Collins were doing all those years. They are great arrangers. But from his brain and from his soul, became some of the best ideas I ever heard in music. Without doubts he is a mastermind.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2014 at 16:29
Agree with Mirror Image Banks is the best ever---and unlike some--I like CUrious Feeling and The Fugitive--believe it or not I think the later has some great playing on it and I like Banks voice. The Genesis sounding songs would have been perfect if Hackett had guested on it.
Kentucky_Hawkwindage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2014 at 16:55
I voted Keith Emerson,but since i did not see Ken Hensley or Victor Peraino as a choice i'd like to give them a honorable mention.

Edited by Kentucky_Hawkwindage - April 25 2014 at 21:50
"Nobody's Gonna Change My World That's Something To Unreal"   Lyrics that i live my life by-from Black Sabbath's Technical Ecstasy's track You Won't Change Me
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2014 at 17:19
Banks for me. Big fan of chords in general, and a song like "Anyway" or "Firth Of Fifth" is so sophisticated and beautiful. Keith Emerson didn't write as attractive music, although "Take A Pebble" is way up there. Rick Wakeman is a bit too much for me at times, and you have to be in the write mood. Still a great writer though. Also love Hugh Banton, Dave Stewart, Mike Ratledge, and Rick Wright - so many great names here! 
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2014 at 17:53
Originally posted by Kentucky_Hawkwindage Kentucky_Hawkwindage wrote:

I voted Carl Palmer,but since i did not see Ken Hensley or Victor Peraino as a choice i'd like to give them a honorable mention.
Are you on something ??
Gryphon View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2014 at 20:11
a bit difficult. I voted for Kerry Minnear. Tony Banks, Rick Wakeman and Dave Stewart came really close, though .

Joe Zawinul is probably the best keyboard player in the whole list, though. big fan, but, I never thought of Weather Report as prog.

and for 'other', I would put Ian Underwood.

Edited by Gryphon - April 25 2014 at 20:16
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>