Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSynaesthesia/Kyros (UK): Neo/Crossover Prog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Synaesthesia/Kyros (UK): Neo/Crossover Prog
    Posted: November 25 2013 at 15:54

This is for fans of IQ, since the band (artist really, since it is mainly just the work of one guy) is being looked after by Giant Electric Pea, and Michael Holmes of IQ is producing the self-titled debut (which is due in January) - with the recording taking place at Aubitt Studios, expertly engineered by Rob Aubrey.

"What happens when you combine the sounds of modern Progressive Rock with the Synth-driven styles of alternative rock?” Synaesthesia.

Taking the best parts of traditional Prog and bringing it most definitely into the 21st century, with a keen sense of melody and memorable, catchy riffs as well as plenty of experimentation.

Synaesthesia's music is primarily written by 19 year old multi-instrumentalist Adam Warne who incorporates influences from acts such as Frost*, Porcupine Tree and Muse – this up and coming band will be releasing their debut album later this year on GEP.

It wasn't until his time at The BRIT School of Performing Arts and Technology (where alumni include artists such as Amy Winehouse, Imogen Heap and Katie Melua) that Adam Warne began experimenting with the Progressive style of writing, having been a keen fan of the genre since childhood. After graduating in 2011, he went on to study an undergraduate Bmus course in Popular Music at Middlesex University. Adam is currently in his second year.

It was at Middlesex University that Adam met guitarist Nikolas Jon Aarland where they discovered a shared musical taste. Adam introduced Nikolas to his music and pretty soon Synaesthesia was born: the combined powerful sounds of guitars with the lush sounds of both analogue and software synths.

Nikolas is also involved in other projects such as Norwegian technical punk band ‘Vestindien’ and female artist Anja Elana Viken.

Synaesthesia is currently working on their debut album with producer Michael Holmes of IQ, with the recording taking place at Aubitt Studios, expertly engineered by Rob Aubrey. All instruments are played by Adam with the exception of guitars by Nikolas.

Adam is currently putting together a live version of Synaesthesia for a series of concerts later this year.

Listen to the sampler in better quality here: https://soundcloud.com/#synaesthesia/synaesthesia-album-taster

I guess this will fall on either Neo or Crossover's turf when the album finally lands in a month or two's time...but as I said in the (original) topic title - let's wait and see!  Tongue

Edit: Added the new name of the band, 'Kyros', into the topic title - and also the appropriate sub genre following the release of the material.

Edited by yam yam - December 31 2015 at 19:13
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2013 at 12:10
There is now a website for the band: http://synaesthesiamusic.co.uk/

Adam has also completed the band line up and will be taking Synaesthesia out for concerts in 2014. Their debut show was the support slot with IQ at their 2013 Christmas Bash in De Boerderij, Holland.

The line up includes Adam Warne on synths, keyboards and vocals. Ollie Hannifan and Sam Higgins on guitars and backing vocals, Robin Johnson on drums and percussion and Peter Episcopo on bass and backing vocals.

The new Progsphere Progstravaganza XV compilation starts with a track from the band called 'Life's What You Make Of It': http://prog-sphere.bandcamp.com/album/progstravaganza-xv-ascension. It's a name-your-price download, containing lots of other great music too. Smile

For a selection of videos documenting the creation of the Synaesthesia album, visit http://www.youtube.com/user/synaesthesiahq.

Thumbs Up

Edit: For a review (with some pictures) of the recent IQ/Synaesthesia gig at De Boerderij (in Dutch), go to http://www.progwereld.org/cms/recensies/concert/iq-xmas-bash-synaesthesia-20-december-2013-boerderij-zoetermeer/.

Edited by yam yam - December 26 2013 at 12:23
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2013 at 14:19
Neo/Crossover sounds accurate, but I'll show crossover first.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2014 at 13:10
One 'move' and one 'not sure' in Crossover at the moment: http://progfreak.com/Synaesthesia-158198.html?path=pa/recent. The album is actually released in just under 3 weeks, and Synaesthesia has been voted UK 'Prog' Magazine's number one Tip for 2014. You can pick up or download the new issue of the mag, which also contains an article/review about Synaesthesia, as from today - and it's only £5.99 in W.H. Smith for any residents of the UK reading this: http://www.progrockmag.com/news/prog-42-new-issue-on-sale-only-5-99-in-wh-smiths/Smile

Edited by yam yam - January 08 2014 at 13:11
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2014 at 14:46
My "not sure" vote is because I don't believe the short samples give me enough for a proper evaluation.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2014 at 16:51
Absolutely agree with you Scott. As soon as the album is made available, I'm sure more samples will be provided for you. Thumbs Up
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2014 at 11:00
Tracklist:
1. Time, Tension & Intervention (22.14)
   I. The Big Freeze
   II. An Excursion
   III. Past
   IV. Present
   V. Future
   VI. End
2. Sacrifice (5:30)
3. Noumenon (3.35)
4. Epiphany (7:00)
5. Good Riddance (3:35)
6. Technology Killed The Kids (3:02)
7. Life's What You Make Of It (7:29)

Total Time 52:25

Line-up:
- Adam Warne / synths & lead vocals
- Ollie Hannifan / guitars, vocals
- Samuel Higgins / guitars, vocals
- Peter Episcopo / bass, vocals
- Robin Johnson / drums and percussion, vocals

Not much longer now...  Cool
ScorchedFirth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2014 at 07:34
Having listened to the whole album, it sounds a lot like Neo-Prog to me.
breathing, eating, defecating, screwing, drinking, spewing, sleeping...

yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2014 at 08:08
Yes - I think that is where this band will probably find its home.

Samples will be provided for the evaluation teams later on today. Thumbs Up

Should be a fairly swift conclusion, I would think.  Smile
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2015 at 18:38
Well, they were duly added: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=8702, and have plenty of positive reviews and ratings for their self-titled debut album too...except that the band is no longer known as Synaesthesia.

The first thing is that they have departed from their recording label, 'Giant Electric Pea'. This is due to creative differences that surfaced during the recording sessions of their second album. They are now finishing the second album independently and currently also plan to self-release it upon completion. They will also be self-producing and engineering the album at their London studio. More details regarding the second album will be announced soon.

As a prelude to the album, they are now selling an EP entitled 'BETA' via their on line store. This is a limited edition EP that they have put together themselves, featuring three tracks from the upcoming album in their current formats/mixes along with three demos from the debut album, including one demo of a song from those sessions that never made it to the first record.

This release is strictly a limited edition and the band don't plan on selling this content via digital downloads, it could initially only be obtained from the merch desk at the band's recent gigs, and the remaining copies are now available from their on line store: http://kyros.bigcartel.com/product/limited-edition-ep-beta. Profits from sales of the EP will go towards the recording, pressing, distribution, and promotion of the second album 'Vox Humana'.

The track listing for the 'Beta' EP is as follows:

1. Cloudburst (6.00)
2. The Lamb, the Badger & the Bee (6.40)
3. Technology Killed The Kids II (6.09)
4. Life's What You Make Of It (demo) (7.26)
5. Good Riddance (demo) (3.35)
6. When The Clock Strikes Twelve (demo) (5.43)

And so to the name change. The EP also signals a transitional phase the band are going through, and this includes the change of name - from 'Synaesthesia' to 'KYROS'.

There were number of reasons behind the decision, including marking a new era, as the debut album started life as a studio project between Adam Warne, Nikolas Jon and Giant Electric Pea. That project has evolved so much since then, and now that they are a full band with a stable line up in place for the new album they felt that the name change would best represent that.

Along the way, they also encountered problems regarding other bands using the name 'Synaesthesia', as well as additional legal implications, and these factors also played a big part in the decision to change the name.

Ollie Hannifan is no longer with the band, and the current members are:

Adam Warne - Vocals, Keyboards, Synthesizer
Samuel Higgins - Guitars and backing vocals
Joey Frevola - Guitars
Peter Episcopo - Bass guitar and backing vocals
Robin Johnson - Drums and Percussion

Edit: If you want it all from the guys themselves, here's the video version:

And the first cut from the EP, played live in Warsaw (Prog Days IV, 19.09.2015):

Smile

Edited by yam yam - December 31 2015 at 18:57
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2016 at 10:47
Thanks a lot for your good information. I really like them and I don't heard about they changing their band's name. Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply