3 [4.29%]
9 [12.86%]
1 [1.43%]
7 [10.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favourite Doom Metal Bands
    Posted: November 26 2013 at 01:43
I love doom metal, next to prog, it's my fave genre and has been ever since I saw Black Sabbath's performance at the 1974 California Jam (on TV of course!)  I put this list together of bands I like that are either doom, or have released one or more primarily doom metal albums to find out what other PA members are into.  Vote for as many as you'd like and I'm always on the lookout for doom bands I've not heard of so if your favourites aren't on the list, let us know who we should be checking out.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2013 at 01:54
Well, putting Black Sabbath here makes things easy for me 

I also like Candlemass. Bands that are not in your list and deserve a mention - Count Raven, Solitude Aeternus, Yearning, End of Green, Memento Mori, Warning. Rapture. 
Opeth is not doom. Big smile
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2013 at 05:37
Other - Adrift for Days

Also Boris.  I admit to not quite knowing the difference between doom, stoner, and drone at times.  There seems to be some overlap.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2013 at 07:34
My Dying Bride, my favourite metal band, I love all their releases. A wonderfully darkly crooning vocalist, beautiful dark synths, grand violin, lovely gothic poetry for the lyrics as well.

I do love the early Anathema albums too, they have a touching dark romance to them, frequently heart-breaking and sad words behind the sludgy growls. Hmmm, think I'll listen to them now!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2013 at 07:39
My first vote went to Type O. Saw them in concert a few times back in the mid 90s, and they were absolutely amazing. 

Sabbath will probably run with this, big time! 

Btw Dennis - I finally managed to add the Fing Chinsome boxsetBig smile

Edited by Guldbamsen - November 26 2013 at 07:42
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2013 at 08:03
Gave a vote for Electric Wizard too.  I've only heard "Dopethrone", but it's one of the heaviest albums I've ever heard.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2013 at 11:27
I gave Candlemass a nod, mainly for their first album, E.D.M., which is incredible.
Also a big vote for 'other' as Evoken is my jam when it comes to serious doom. Great for wiping smiles off faces.Unhappy
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aapatsos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2013 at 11:49
No Solitude Aeturnus on the poll so went for "other". Downfall and Adagio have a place in my heart.

Of course the likes of Candlemass and MDB are up there as well
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2013 at 11:54
Great responses so far everyone...remember...

This is a multiple choice poll so don't feel you only have to pick a single favourite!

Some thoughts based on everyone's comments so far...

1) I was on the fence about including Opeth but I did because I consider "Masters Apprentices" an ultimate expression of doom (though the speedy kicking double bass drum says extreme or death metal instead) Mikael's vocal and guitar scream doom to me LOL

2) I also only have Electric Wizards "Dopethrone" album but "Funeralopolis" is incredible.  I've seen some great recent live clips of them on youtube with Jos Osborne's wife on 2nd guitar...incredibly slow and heavy!

3) Candlemass "Epicus Doomicus Metalicus" is classic doom.  I bought the next few albums but nothing I ever heard from them after measured up.

4) My Dying Bride is funny...the 1st album and the 2 ep's before it are my faves (grunted vocals rather than clean).  Everything they did after is still really great though to me it feels more goth metal than doom...still dark but more goth-moody...of course the violin is a great touch.

5) I love Type O!  They had such a great sense-of-humour too (an odd combo for a doom band) and Peter Steele had one of the most incredible non-grunted doom voices around...RIP big guy.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2013 at 12:02
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

My first vote went to Type O. Saw them in concert a few times back in the mid 90s, and they were absolutely amazing. 

Sabbath will probably run with this, big time! 

Btw Dennis - I finally managed to add the Fing Chinsome boxsetBig smile

OMG!  Way to go Dave!  Where did you get it?  I believe the US distributor (Inner Knot) is out but didn't know there were other options.  Can't wait to hear what you think about it...maybe we can write the first two reviews LOL

On a related note, I sent Discipline Global Mobile an email yesterday about something and I got a response directly from Sid Smith - the guy who wrote the excellent Crimso bio "In the Court of King Crimson" - he asked me how I was liking The Road to Red.  I tried to be cool and not let on I was a total '74 Crimso fanboy but I think it showed through anyway Wink
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2013 at 12:53
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I envy you so much, they're on my top list of favourite bands I'll never get to see live. Not sure I'm gonna cast my vote for them, Sabbath, Pentagram or a fourth band though.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2013 at 13:32
Went with Cathedral because.. well, just because really. 
What?
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2013 at 17:09
Ahab
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2013 at 17:35
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Ahab

I just discovered Ahab a couple weeks ago (was it you who pointed me in their direction?) and they're the best doom band I've stumbled onto in many years...The Call of the Wretched Sea is fantastic Wink
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Pessimist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2013 at 17:38
Cephalic Carnage and Opeth doom metal? Confused

I picked Opeth anyway because they are possibly my favourite metal band of all time.
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2013 at 20:18
Just realized St Vitus was on the list, so I gave them a vote as well. Props go to them for going against the grain, considering they were on SST records during the 80s (they were like Black Sabbath with some Black Flag thrown in...not too much of a stretch if you've heard side two of Black Flag's My War). Born Too Late is quite a heavy affair.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2013 at 22:27
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Ahab

I just discovered Ahab a couple weeks ago (was it you who pointed me in their direction?) and they're the best doom band I've stumbled onto in many years...The Call of the Wretched Sea is fantastic Wink

Maybe? I don't remember. There was a poll about Ahab a couple weeks ago that I did respond in though.

And indeed! They are one of the few bands that really brings the heavy, at least to my expectations.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2013 at 23:14
Originally posted by The Pessimist The Pessimist wrote:

Cephalic Carnage and Opeth doom metal? Confused

I picked Opeth anyway because they are possibly my favourite metal band of all time.

I included Cephalic Carnage because of the "Halls of Amenti" album...though nothing else I've heard from them even resembles doom.  As far as Opeth, I mentioned earlier why I included them Wink
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Person Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2013 at 23:22
Sunn O))) / Boris. Preferably together.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2013 at 06:06
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Ahab

Cool

did
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>