3 [4.29%]
9 [12.86%]
1 [1.43%]
7 [10.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2015 at 21:10
I've heard a criminally low amount of these, but Type O Negative has always been a favorite band of mine 

(no vote)
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 04:02
Including Sabbath is a bit like putting The Beatles in a "best band from Liverpool" poll. Results might be more interesting if omitted!

If I hadn't voted Sabs it would have been Cathedral. But I find I get more out of "stoner doom" outfits these days. Om and Wo Fat rule.

I also like Eagle Twin if that counts as doom at all. "Ted Hughes metal" probably isn't a genre.

Edited by Mascodagama - February 15 2015 at 04:05
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 05:57
A shout out must also be given to the British cult band Solstice, who hover somewhere in the grey zone between Candlemass-style epic doom metal and Manowar-esque heavy metal with quite a few modern touches. They've also got a fantastic way of working in British folk music, but in an exceptionally subtle way that's nonetheless integral to creating the entire "pre-Christian Dark Ages Britain" aesthetic of their music.

I actually get a similar vibe from Solstice as from Bathory's Hammerheart, only rooted in British instead of Scandinavian cultural history as well as way more musically accomplished - there's some pretty damn impressive arrangements they pull off in their music.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ole-the-first Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 06:32
Voted for Opeth, Anathema, My Dying bride and Black Sabbath o'course.

I dislike most bands of so-called traditional doom (and the whole stoner doom subgenre). In comparison with Black Sabbath their music lacks drive a lot, and it mostly too second-grade and unoriginal. Candlemass is an exception since they borrowed a lot not just from Sabbath but also from Iron Maiden, that definitely made their sound more fresh.
This night wounds time.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 06:49
Not to mention Trouble. This review of their debut LP touches on some of the same gripes with the contemporary doom metal subculture as you have, but goes into more detail with it.

Originally posted by Acrobat Acrobat wrote:

Too often I hear doom bands who really take the metal out of doom. There’s psychedelic rock bands masquerading as metal simply because they sing about witches and satan, there’s probably a whole spat of Rise Above bands who think Iron Maiden is “too cheesy” and don’t even know who Running Wild are and that’s not even to mention how many funeral or death-doom bands records have more in common with, say, ambient or goth rock than their supposed parent genre (not that that's a particular problem as Skepticism rule). Keith Richards once said that a big problem with rock music is that people forgot the “roll” part and when he listens to rock he needs that roll, too! Well, when I listen to doom, I need that metal part! I can’t tell you how many times I’ve played a doom release and thought to myself “Yeah, it’s okay, but they could have really used a solo here or a tempo change here”. Doom nowadays often seems to have been a byword for “play slow, minimise your metallic leanings”. I’m not saying that there aren’t bands who are delivering what I want but it’s a sad state of affairs to listen to an otherwise ‘traditional’ doom metal album and hear nothing resembling a lead guitar part or an up-tempo break. Of course, Psalm 9 is the answer to my prayers as it has lead guitar and fast parts in abundance. Contrast is key to its success and every stomping, down-trodden riff is offset by a fast break. Trouble love playing slow, but damn, they’ll rip your f**king face off, too!
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 08:47
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

A shout out must also be given to the British cult band Solstice, who hover somewhere in the grey zone between Candlemass-style epic doom metal and Manowar-esque heavy metal with quite a few modern touches. They've also got a fantastic way of working in British folk music, but in an exceptionally subtle way that's nonetheless integral to creating the entire "pre-Christian Dark Ages Britain" aesthetic of their music.

nice to see Solstice mentioned here, they're a great band; I disagree to that manowar-esque influences, i don't see any.

Also, nice to see Trouble mentioned as well, great band, their 80s albums especially are amazing.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 08:56
Solstice have covered Manowar, so they're obviously fans even if their aesthetic isn't anywhere as cartoony.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 09:03

Solstice have covered Manowar, so they're obviously fans even if their aesthetic isn't anywhere as cartoony.

the fact that they covered them does not mean they are influenced by them, it's like saying Iron Maiden has FM influnces because IM covered an FM song.
I just don't see any Manowar in Solstice music.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 03:47
I think the influence is more apparent in Solstice's faster songs.

Maybe the inspiration is more "ideological", though, with the entire mythological epic angle to traditional metal songwriting, than regarding around specifically going for a Manowar "sound".
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 04:06
^ the influence I hear in the faster songs is Maiden rather than Manowar. But whatever...
Anyway, good to see them mentioned here, they are a great band, let's leave it at that.

Another band that deserves to be mentioned here is Warning, a British band that released only one album - Watching from a Distance in 2007. As they disbanded, their songwriter made another project called 40 Watt Sun, great band as well, similar sound, but definitely great songwriting.

other bands worth checking out:

The 3rd and the Mortal
Memento Mori
Pagan Altar (so underrated)
Yearning (Finnish band, interesting gothic-doom)
End of Green

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 04:19
The singer in Warning is either the brother or cousin of Solstice's guitarist by the way, surprised you did not bring that up.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 04:21

The singer in Warning is either the brother or cousin of Solstice's guitarist by the way, surprised you did not bring that up.

LOL
I didn't know that

TexasKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 08:22
I like doom metal quite a lot. 
From the list some bands are not plain doom, because they're overlapping doom with either death or gothic metal as: My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost, Anathema and Type O' Negative (they are much more gothic than doom). I much prefer typical doom bands than those bands. 
On that list I voted: early Black Sabbath (Master of Reality is my fave metal album of all time), then Candlemass (their debut is phenomenal), Electric Wizard (Come My Fanatics and Dopethrone kick ass), Reverend Bizzare and St. Vitus. 
These bands(that I dig) could have been on the list: Trouble, Sleep and Solitude Aeturnus. Pentagram, Witchfinder General and Pagan Altar too, although I don't care for them. 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 08:30
^ Solitude Aeturnus are great. 
also Count Raven
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 02:16
good poll!
bump Big smile
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 07:02
Voted Sabbath first of course and TON second.

Lots of other good choices there as well and lots more greatness has come up in discussion.

My two cents: if you can stomach black and/or death metal type vocals, I recommend Skepticism, Thergothon, Wormphlegm, Unholy and Worship. Slow and painful. Some call them "funeral doom".

edit: I only just realized this poll and discussion is years old!    Kudos for the bump, Cristi!

Edited by Hiram - February 05 2021 at 09:15
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 07:36
Not really a doom metal fan. Anathema - The Silent Enigma was the only doom metal album that had a huge impact on me. 

There's an obsure doom metal album: Sobre Nocturne - Serpentine Dreamweaver. Cool symphonic doom metal album.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2023 at 07:52
slow bump like a doom song Big smile
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2023 at 08:12
70's Black Sabbath. Smile
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2023 at 08:15
Originally posted by Octopus II Octopus II wrote:

70's Black Sabbath. Smile

Another vote for Black Sabbath although I'm doomed if I can name any other Doom Metal bands. Embarrassed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>