Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTaurus for Symphonic prog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taurus for Symphonic prog
    Posted: November 27 2013 at 19:49
Ok, this is an obscure prog band for sure but that's no reason for them not to be on here!Smile There are after all lots of obscure prog bands on here and aren't 99 percent of prog bands obscure to most people anyway?

This is a band from the Netherlands who put out one or two albums and one archival release called Works. Works was in the mid seventies Genesis vein and really not bad. I used to have it on cd. THeir other one was a bit more mainstream sounding apparently but I never heard it.

http://www.gepr.net/tafram.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_F2J_uEgPo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B1kKXmkcIc

Edited by Prog_Traveller - November 27 2013 at 19:51
apps79 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2013 at 00:29
Excellent group, great proposal.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will know peace...

listen to www.justincaseradio.com , the first ever Greek Progressive Rock radio
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2013 at 09:15
They were mentioned on here (Prog Recommendations/Featured albums) by Herman H. in April 2006: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=21280.

Formed in 1976, it took Taurus until 1981 to release their first album, Illusions of a Night, although it was apparently fatally compromised by their record company, who demanded that they record several potential singles. However, the end result is far better than that sounds, with only a couple of more 'commercial' tracks (notably Nickname) amongst their late '70s Genesis/Yes/Kayak-influenced prog. Martin Scheffer's 'Hackettesque' guitar work and Theo de Jong (ex-Kayak)'s Taurus pedals add to the album's Wind & Wuthering feel, as do full-on symphonic tracks like The Gurus or Kaboom. Rob Spierenburg's Mellotron work, despite being heard on most tracks, is pretty restrained here, often with only a single choir swell towards the end of the song, although the odd bit of strings crops up here and there, too. Sadly, at no point does the instrument take centre-stage, and the album's overall poor production doesn't help, either; possibly the band wanted it higher in the mix?

Taurus released a live album, Tapes Live, in 1983, and a studio effort called Works 1976-1981 in '90 (new recordings, I believe), before a live CD in '93, 'See You Again'. While there's no Mellotron visible in any of the booklet pics, it can be heard here and there, and is credited. Various factors lead me to believe it was recorded at a variety of locations, possibly over several years, not least the crudely overdubbed applause that actually intrudes into some of the quiet sections. There's a small overlap with Illusions of a Night, although most of the material was presumably written subsequently, and I'm afraid to say that most of it is rather dull, like Genesis after they'd had their brains sucked out (er, isn't that '80s Genesis?). Some nice moments here and there, but it's generally rather overlong and turgid, ending up doing the band few favours. Spierenburg uses the 'Tron for choir only (again), with rather murky and inessential parts on several tracks, although the particularly Banksian use on Mountaineer is worth hearing.

'Illusions of a Night' is actually very good; a bit of a hidden gem at a bad time for progressive rock. The Mellotron work isn't anything to write home about, but the album's worth picking up should you run into a copy. 'See You Again' is just about worth hearing if you like their debut, but expect to be disappointed by much of it.      

Rob Spierenburg (keyboards), Martin Scheffer (vocals, guitar, 1976-82), Piet Traanberg (bass, 1976-79), Dennis Plantenga (drums, 1977-80, 1985-94), Theo de Jong (bass, 1979-80), Jos Schild (bass, double bass, 1980 onward), Rex Stulp (drums, 1980-81), Kees Wassenaar (drums, 1981-84), John Philippo (vocals, 1982-2000), Willem van Eijk (guitar, 1985-86), Spike Wolters (guitar, 1991-94), Roy Darman (drums, 1994 onward)

Albums
1981-Illusions of a Night
1983-Tapes Live
1990-Works
1993-See You Again
1994-On a Journey

Singles
1980-Meadow (See You Again) / Undiscovered
1985-So Long Christi-ann

Compilations
1999-Evolution
2009-Meadow

A compilation CD is available to purchase from Musea: http://www.musearecords.com/ext_re_new_releaseselect.php?np=37374.

Embarrassed

Edit: Proggnosis already have this artist in their database...and a very thorough biography of them too: http://www.proggnosis.com/ARTIST_DETAIL.aspx?AID=4392

Edited by yam yam - November 28 2013 at 09:59
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2013 at 19:41
This band was suggested before the teams were formed back in 2005 or early 2006.

I remember many Collaborators checked them and there was a debate between Symphonic and Neo, sadly the site was hacked on those days and this theme was lost with some info after the chaos....If I'm not wrong Erik Neutwboom sugested them.

As a fact I didn't remembered them until now.

We will check them, and I'm sending a PM to the team members

Iván

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2013 at 19:58
The band has been checked by Symphonic in 12 hours since we were notified.

We haven't accepted them because we believe it's a Neo band, so we sent them the info.

IF NOT ACCEPTED BY NEO, WE WILL ACCEPT THEM IN SYMPHONIC

Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2013 at 00:27
Thanks. They deserve to be on here. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2014 at 23:37
The band is accepted in Symphonic