Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 167168169170171 312>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Frosted Celt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frosted Celt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2015 at 02:09
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2015 at 23:08
^ I have Saga S/T - it's excellent most of the way through. Almost sports a Neo-Prog sound before 'Neo' existed !!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2015 at 09:09
^ Saga is a band that has always been in my wheel house, but never close to the top of my fav bands. I have several of their albums including that one. Wife and I saw Saga in concert in 1984 (I think) in Baton Rouge, La at LSU. I think the headliner was Quiet Riot, might have been The Police, I don't remember. 

You need to listen to World's Apart, much proggier if that is what you are looking for, regardless it has some amazing songs. Check out The Chapters Live album....series of songs that make up a story, they released them over a 20yr period as a mixed up puzzle.

They have a huge catalog, their most recent 20/20 is pretty good.....Problem is not much of the later material is on vinyl.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2015 at 16:00

I bought this Portuguese 70's Prog album at a reasonable price (the average price is around 50€), since the cover is not in great condition, but the disc is better than the cover. A nice mixture of Symphonic, Fusion, Space and Indo-Prog, I just wish it would be fully instrumental... awful vocals and lyrics Ouch Much better than their previous album IMO, though.

Never heard anything from them before, but I found this copy really cheap. This album is quite Pop though Ermm

Another of my recent Psych purchases, the only one I have from this label that isn't coloured LOL

Since I had to clean the first two LPs and others I didn't listen yet, I also cleaned my albums from Camel, Supertramp and Alan Parsons Project, so I'm revisiting some favourites I know quite well. These albums are great to test the recent upgrades, it was fantastic to listen to Crime Of The Century this time Thumbs Up
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2015 at 13:07
^ I can agree with that - there's so many LP's in my collection I haven't spun in years, and do I miss not hearing them - not really. One day I will have to do a 'stock-take' count and down-size, but it's just comforting knowing that they are there, waiting to be spun........
I don't mind taking a trip away from the 'usual' Prog, it breaks things up a little, and so far, Extreme is, whilst I can hear the technicality and intelligence involved, is the furthest I've gone from my 'general world' of listening.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2015 at 12:47
I have spent many years listening to different music, none of it prog. R&B, Jazz, Soul, Funk, Classic Rock and even some Disco. Many of those genres are now out of my comfort zone as I have spent the last 20yrs deep into prog and all it's sub-genres. 
On occasion I will spin some of these other genres and I find myself smiling, since I grew up listening to a lot of it.
Right now I don't feel the need to dig into other music....It's weird but I feel I have plenty to listen to.

Edited by Catcher10 - December 15 2015 at 14:17
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2015 at 06:26
^ Right on
Attention spans go only so far with most folks..........
The Gorguts album I've acquired recently is a dbl at around 63 mins. I have spun it, about 8 times now (got it on Friday) - and by the 3rd side, it is a blur. I do like it a lot, the growl, yes, the growl.........I can't, for the life of me, truly, honestly say I dig this style of 'singing', but it does fit, and it does take effort and training, especially when playing an instrument too. But, as you know with Prog, vocalists are hit and miss anyway, I love Grobschnitt, but here even Wildschwein (Stefan Danielak) is just as difficult to take as these Growling vocalists. Anyway, the music comes first and foremost, so, generally, looks like I go for select Extreme bands of this nature.
Change is good !!

Edited by Tom Ozric - December 15 2015 at 06:44
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2015 at 05:49
^ Good call Thumbs Up It's the same thing for Punk Hardcore albums, less than 30 minutes is a good lenght.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2015 at 05:33
^ In an interview, even Colin, himself, said that he had 2 more tracks for the album which were under-rehearsed and missed the final cut, and that in retrospect, it worked out for the better, because the under-30 minute playing time for this type of music, is more than enough for the listener to absorb without being overwhelmed. So there you go......
Amusing that many of these extreme metal musicians are actually rather 'geeky' and straight. Not all, but some
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2015 at 05:20
^ Thankfully it's less than 30 minutes long Tongue
I'll need to listen to something calmer now LOL Univers Zero is a band I should explore more.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2015 at 05:15
^ That's great . It is very 'dense' music to absorb. Mind-boggling - and the drummer, Weasel, is just amazing.
If you wish to try something *really* relentless - try Meshuggah - I Am Collosus. This one is Earth-Shatteringly heavy and unrelenting. This makes Magma, Universe Zero and Shub Niggurath seem like a walk in the park.
Add to that the Texan band Yeti. 'Heavy' is a refreshing change from time to time. And I never forget about the extreme other end of the spectrum, with Nick Beggs and Limahl. Again, I'm not a fan of 80's New-Wave, but if I like what I hear...........

Edited by Tom Ozric - December 15 2015 at 05:21
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2015 at 05:03
^ I agree, it's important to get out of the comfort zone sometimes, to keep an open mind musically.
I'm already halfway through the album, it's really crazy stuff and I like it Big smile
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2015 at 04:57
^ I know within my soul that I don't really relate to this sort of music, but I feel the need to 'travel' to somewhere else (since I don't partake in any illicit recreational activities these days......) so music is the antedote, and I wish to hear the extreme and heavy end of Prog - I've always dug Maiden, and to a lesser extent, Metallica. So I'm checking out some of these revered Extreme Metal things. Meshuggah caught my attention a while back, but it takes time to accept and adjust to - after all, my heart lies in Canterbury, Neo, Kraut, Space/Psych etc. I'm out of my comfort zone here, but it really is an exciting change.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2015 at 04:47
^ It's not a genre I particularly like, but that sounds interesting. I'll give them a listen Thumbs Up
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2015 at 04:42
^ Behold - The Arctopus! are a trio from NYC centred around Warr guitarist Colin Marston. They play *extremely* unconventionally 'Math-Metal' or Extreme. Totally instrumental (yay ! no Death Growls) and very complex and dense. I love this manic and uncompromising style of playing. And the cover-art is pretty cool to match.
Colin is a very busy bassist/guitarist, spreading himself with multiple band projects (Gorguts, Dysrhythmia, Krallice etc.) as well as having his own studio and producing/engineering many bands. And he's only 31 !!!   Seems I only go for 'Death Metal' (Gawd, I despise that tag) if it's thoughtful, complex and well executed.
I've looked into Dellinger Escape Plan and they shake me to the bone. I am baffled. They are superb musicians, but waaaay over the top and beyond extreme. Talk about pushing boundaries. These guys push 'Joe Public's' patience beyond human tolerance........
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2015 at 04:28
^^^ It's better not to post the Virgin Killers LP here, for legal reasons LOL The new Scorpions reissues seemed interesting, until I discovered they didn't reissue the first two albums Disapprove

^ Never heard of Behold. What's that?
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2015 at 04:17
Just ordered the vinyl release of BEHOLD - THE ARCTOPUS' 'Horrorscension' album through Discogs. Should be a blast when it gets here. Next order will be MESHUGGAH's debut album proper - Contradictions Collapse. I'm so excited    This stuff is soooo much better on vinyl !!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2015 at 19:21

This is really a great album.......Took me maybe 3-4 spins. Last night it was hitting on all cylinders, some great music here. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2015 at 20:22
^ Great band yes....seen them probably 10x. Last time 2 months ago on the 50yr tour, they can still bring it and Klaus sounds excellent.
Taken By Force is a good one, right before they got into harder metal and Lovedrive. I like all their music and eras, they always manage to keep a bit of that old Scorpions psych in their new music.

Vinyl wise, I have all their albums on vinyl and most are Japanese issues due to the covers that were not released in the US. I do have Virgin Killers, the original cover Shocked.
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pastmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2015 at 20:08
^Great band, "Taken by Force" is probably my favorite from them. Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 167168169170171 312>