Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 312>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2024 at 14:00
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2024 at 17:48
^I spent most of my career in the injection moulding business, but big ones, 1500 - 4000 metric ton clamp range. I always thought, if I won the loto, I might open up a small custom pressing business. I project managed a bunch of these types of "automation cell" for part assembly in the automotive sector. I'm guessing one might cost between $2 & $4 million installed depending on possible available features.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2024 at 17:06
This is for sure good news, for us vinyl lovers. Finally a new pressing machine is available for plants to purchase, most plants are working with presses that are from the 60s-70s probably and need retooling, which is probably too cost prohibitive.
The fact that 30 of these have been ordered since the announcement is positive news that the vinyl resurgence is alive and well.....Not that it actually ever went away as some think, so resurgence is a loose term.

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2024 at 03:16
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

That's step one......Now try pulling them away from the back wall at least 1m and the soundstage will get better as well. When ur done listening then you can push them back.

Well, that would be a proper audiophile setup, but I guess, JD has made his choices. 
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2024 at 21:03
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

I think I got it right. Listening to Trilogy now and WOW. Lovin' it !

That's step one......Now try pulling them away from the back wall at least 1m and the soundstage will get better as well. When ur done listening then you can push them back.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2024 at 09:00

great!
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2024 at 08:58
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

Welcome Back My Friends to the Debate That Never Ends...Ladies and Gentlemen LP or CD ?
Btw, now can this debate be done in a more objective way compared to in the 1980s when the new CD technology was promoted by whatever means.
Go ahead and start that debate, you first....Big smile
I've already said what I have to say....more or less. Big smile

But I can add that if to try make some more objective conclusions, it has to be on basis of listening tests and inter-subjectivity.

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2024 at 06:24

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2024 at 05:49

^ Speaker placement is the most important setup to get as right as possible. Glad you recognized that R speaker is not optimal. Ideally if you can pull them out from the back wall and away from the side walls that will improve the soundstage....a lot. Plus that is a free tweak that pays back.

Just try it, some people will pull the speakers out if they cannot stay there normally, then put them back against the wall. Put some tape down so you know where to put them the next time after you find the right spot. The starting spot is an equilateral triangle from your listening spot. 

Speaker placement for stereo music listening
And actually, that's what the set up is, except that it's for my desk. In front of my desk is a couch for chillin' and that will be the new sweet spot. Plus I don't subscribe to heavy toed in speaker thing. I find a more subtle angle to provide a better dispersion of sound while still maintaining the sound stage works better.
Poor JD, always chasing the elusive perfect sound. LOL

The picture shows exaggerated toe in, mine are very slight maybe 12mm toe in. Again it’s a free tweak to play with speaker position.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2024 at 05:23
The best thing for perfect sound is acoustic treatment. Bass traps (6" min.) in the corners and spot treatment (2" min.) elsewhere.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2024 at 04:57

^ Speaker placement is the most important setup to get as right as possible. Glad you recognized that R speaker is not optimal. Ideally if you can pull them out from the back wall and away from the side walls that will improve the soundstage....a lot. Plus that is a free tweak that pays back.

Just try it, some people will pull the speakers out if they cannot stay there normally, then put them back against the wall. Put some tape down so you know where to put them the next time after you find the right spot. The starting spot is an equilateral triangle from your listening spot. 

And actually, that's what the set up is, except that it's for my desk. In front of my desk is a couch for chillin' and that will be the new sweet spot. Plus I don't subscribe to heavy toed in speaker thing. I find a more subtle angle to provide a better dispersion of sound while still maintaining the sound stage works better.
Poor JD, always chasing the elusive perfect sound. LOL

Edited by JD - March 06 2024 at 05:04
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2024 at 03:01

Welcome Back My Friends to the Debate That Never Ends...Ladies and Gentlemen LP or CD ?
Btw, now can this debate be done in a more objective way compared to in the 1980s when the new CD technology was promoted by whatever means.

I've already said what I have to say....more or less. Big smile

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2024 at 02:36
Those corners are a real nuiscance. In my old house I had 2 to contend with as well as fireplace that stuck out. Now in my new house it's much better although there is still a corner with a door. Generally the sound is decent although I do definitely get better sound from the left speaker. It's a floor standing speaker but I've had to treat it like a cabinet speaker for the sake of getting a cabinet into the allotted space. I've then raised the right speaker off the floor by putting it on a small table which is out of view. Altogether much happier. ( i do have a turntable but it's to the side of the camera in another corner)

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2024 at 20:41

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2024 at 15:52

Like I said...NEVER ENDS !

One another note, I now have all the components for my office/listening room system.
NAD C315BEE Amp
Dual 606 TT with Ortofon Cart and Tonar replacement stylus
NAD PP-1 Phone Pre-Amp
Sony CDP-491 CD Player
B&W DM110i Speakers

Samsung 45" Smart TV
LG BP350 BluRay Player

[PHOTO REMOVED FOR SPACE]

Looks good!
Well now that I've been using it for a day, I already want to rearrange it a bit. I wanted all my LP's in a continuous row, but now I think I may take the first column on the left and slide it over near the stool. Then centre the other three on the TV and put the speakers at the end of that group for more balance and to get the right speaker out of the corner more.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2024 at 15:46

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2024 at 15:44

Like I said...NEVER ENDS !

One another note, I now have all the components for my office/listening room system.
NAD C315BEE Amp
Dual 606 TT with Ortofon Cart and Tonar replacement stylus
NAD PP-1 Phone Pre-Amp
Sony CDP-491 CD Player
B&W DM110i Speakers

Samsung 45" Smart TV
LG BP350 BluRay Player

Looks good!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2024 at 07:40
I’m not going to list my gear, but for me to better my analog rig in digital would be about 3x the value of what I have. Plus I’d have to spend even more money on buying CDs. Also hi res digital files are the way to go but again more money and the variety of what we listen to does not exist on say SACDs or downloads.
I don’t even listen to CDs at home. I rip all to my media player and just have it in random play all day long.

The CD is for convenience and even that has become useless…..It’s not considered for hi fi listening enjoyment or music engagement, it does not pull you in like vinyl does.

I love my system and it’s built for analog no CD I have can best it.

Enjoy your music!
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2024 at 02:49

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2024 at 16:52

I surely prefer the sound quality of pure analog productions, but thanks to my programmable CD player, I can live with CDs when it's very important to me to listen to other album versions than the original (fewer tracks/in another order). That's my story put in short.

And I hope, you'll enjoy your system, JD.

Edited by David_D - March 05 2024 at 15:00
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 312>