Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 213214215216217 312>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2015 at 17:37
^ I was never a huge DS fan....but he is sounding really nice.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2015 at 15:05
^^ That cover is really great, I never listened to the music though Ermm

^ It sounds good, although I never liked his music with Dire Straits Confused
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2015 at 12:41
I suspect this will be a great release....recorded on tape...."the smell of tape.."

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2015 at 22:31
Love this album......Can be difficult for some I suppose
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2015 at 21:35
^ I know what you mean.......Sometimes though I don't want those evolving lyrics, those that don't have mumbly, rambling, s-o-c vocal/lyric styles LOL.

You should get a TT at your desk Thumbs Up
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2015 at 21:26
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

^ That's the poppyness I spoke of.......but I agree not a bad album at all

You know, many of the more recent Hogarth-led Marillion albums frequently have this kind of (and I don't mean this as a criticism exactly) mumbly, rambling, stream-of-consciousness vocal/lyric style, so it actually makes me appreciate albums like `Somewhere Else' where things are a little more focused, direct, punchier, etc?

Actually, you've inspired me, I'm going to play it at work right now!

(This will be on my Ipod, I don't have a turntable at my desk....)

Oh, but if I did....
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2015 at 21:20
I really love this album.......the SQ is outstanding. "What surface noise?" Yea there is none, pristine sounding.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2015 at 21:16
^ That's the poppyness I spoke of.......but I agree not a bad album at all
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2015 at 18:15
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

^ That seems like a good number........Working from home today so been spinning for a bit. Listening to this one right now, not their most acclaimed album but I do like the poppiness of the songs, should say not the most accepted here on PA Big smile

Not a bad album really, but I cannot stand the way some of the songs have a one-line chorus they repeat four times in a row! Lazy and uninspired, I tells ya!
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2015 at 17:55
^ Cool music and cover! Cool
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2015 at 17:15
I don't look at the stars, I read the commentary...yes most is close to what I think.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2015 at 16:45
^^ Sometimes I'll jump over to the main site and see what the reviewers have said about the album I'm listening to. It's interesting to see what others think. For the most part their ratings are close to mine but not always.
There are times when I'll see two stars when I would have gone at least four but the opposite happens just as often.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2015 at 16:17
^ That seems like a good number........Working from home today so been spinning for a bit. Listening to this one right now, not their most acclaimed album but I do like the poppiness of the songs, should say not the most accepted here on PA Big smile

TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2015 at 15:35
^^ That will put you up around the 600 LP range which means nothing would sit for years without being played.
I did go overboard a bit in the seventies and my collection is not really as manageable as I would like it to be.
But I've been doing more listening in the last few months than I've done in years and I intend to continue
that practice. 
I spend a lot of time in my music room doing various things and I've gotten in the habit of always having an album playing while I'm in here. That's why I post so often on what are you listening to now.
The idea of selling my collection is all but gone now. My original concerns about my kids not selling them for what they're worth is no longer an issue.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2015 at 11:15
I buy vinyl to listen to it, not to eventually get rid of it. So I too would have problems letting albums go.......As I said before that will be the job of someone else when I am worm food.
I reckon I am in the 350-400 range and that is pretty comfortable from a storage perspective....I suspect within the next 5 years I will add another 200 roughly, that's about 3 per month which is a decent avg.

Point is I don't believe any of us are keen on dumping what we have.

TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2015 at 08:37
My US releases and import releases are separated. I also have a section for jazz rock fusion and a section with traditional jazz, traditional blues and classical combined. 
Reorganizing is one of those ongoing music projects that I referred to yesterday.
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2015 at 07:56
I have to resort my albums since the move - i'll put the crap in the back of the good stuff.
thinking that i'll catalogue everything as I go
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2015 at 07:47
I have roughly 2200 albums, About 200 were accumulated from family members or friends.
I keep those on the bottom row at the end of my collection.
Not long ago I made a master list of the fifteen hundred U.S. releases and five hundred import releases
so I basically know what I have.
If for some reason I decided to thin down my collection I might be able to come up with fifty to a hundred
albums to get rid of.
But even that would be difficult.
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2015 at 07:00
I don't know how many I have - 3 - 4 thousand ..
I know there's a lot of crap in there - I was given several small collections and I cant throw music away.
Anything I actively sought out and bought is solid. Certain albums i got cheap and took a chance on didn't turn out to be stellar but i don't want to get rid of those either because once - about 27 years ago i weeded 200 albums out of my collection because i wasn't listening to them at that time - stupidest thing I've ever done.
I have a lot of them back again but some were rare by virtue of age alone - and i'll never find them again.

I don't know what i'll appreciate or be in the mood for a year from now..

I had Misplaced Childhood for years without putting it on once. When i finally did it turned out to be one of my favourite albums of all time.

If i was forced to pare down the collection - I'd probably start sweating at around 2000
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2015 at 06:40
While my collection is more than three hundred I've had it for over forty years so I've had plenty of time to listen to everything I own.
If I had started collecting at the beginning of the current vinyl boom I would say that 500 would be a good solid collection. 
I would probably go a little higher simply because I'm retired and could dedicate more time to listening.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 213214215216217 312>