Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 312>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2023 at 09:40
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

https://youtu.be/GgFyMSew3Rs

He is missing the 2003 30th anniversary version, which is easily one of the best. It was done by Kevin Gray and Doug Sax using the A2/B3 plates. This is the version I think I currently prefer, against my 5th UK pressing. The bottom end of the 2003 version is lush and deep where needed. Don't get me wrong the UK one I have is very good, I've never heard a '73 original UK pressing, all these guys call it the best. But you need about $2K minimum to find one. Ain't happin'.......

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2023 at 09:38

^ The title of this video doesn't look promising concerning the quality of it. Big smile
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2023 at 08:48
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2023 at 05:22
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Especially if the reason you're buying vinyl is because you have superhuman hearing that can detect the 16 bit 44.1 kHz limitations of CD music. Tongue

Sorry but I suppose, if you knew what 44.1 kHz sampling frequency means in the very high tones and overtones, you wouldn't talk about "superhuman hearing". Wink

Edited by David_D - April 03 2023 at 06:56
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2023 at 20:19
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

This is NOT a defect you want

Especially if the reason you're buying vinyl is because you have superhuman hearing that can detect the 16 bit 44.1 kHz limitations of CD music. Tongue

A day or two ago, I was watching the video:

which mentioned (around the 3:50 mark) how crappy US vinyl is compared to other countries such as Canada and Japan.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2023 at 19:41
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

IMAGES REMOVED FOR SPACE

I have records with that pressing defect. But generally does not impede the sound much.

Sorry to jump into your thread guys- when i used to import a lot of US/ Canadian pressings i was under the impression that a lot of the visible 'textural' differences visible in US pressings were due to a difference in the manufacturing process; something to do with the temperature of the water used for cooling post-pressing and that it does not make much difference (if any) to the sound quality but put off lots of people in the European market. I had quite a lot of people either complaining or just concerned as they could see these surface 'defects' and i have always been at pains to point the fact that it doesnt generally affect the play-back. European and UK pressings had some pretty dodgy batches of vinyl during the 70's and used a fair amount of re-cycled material when needed.. but overall the consensus of opinion during the 70's and 80's (correct or not) was Best- Japan, next- Germany, next- Europe/ UK and Canada, then- USA and last- other Asian countries and Communist countries. Ive found over the years, lots of examples that de-bunk all that but it does seem that was how it was seen over here. About 25% of my collection is US pressings and overall they are easily comparable to what was available to elsewhere in the world.

Now, Sleeves... thats another matter..Wink
I've spent the better part of the last 40 years in plastics and injection moulding. This is NOT a defect you want, on any product. In this particular case the defect presents itself as loud crackling/static like distortion. Like walking on dried leaves. And believe me, this album is clean. It's been both US'icly and manually deep groove cleaned...to no effect. These are in the surface, stresses from most likely, as mentioned above, poor cooling cycle and/or out of spec materials. This is the worse one I've ever seen.

Thanks for chiming in John.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2023 at 16:10
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2023 at 14:43
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

Sorry to jump into your thread guys- when i used to import a lot of US/ Canadian pressings i was under the impression that a lot of the visible 'textural' differences visible in US pressings were due to a difference in the manufacturing process; something to do with the temperature of the water used for cooling post-pressing and that it does not make much difference (if any) to the sound quality but put off lots of people in the European market. I had quite a lot of people either complaining or just concerned as they could see these surface 'defects' and i have always been at pains to point the fact that it doesnt generally affect the play-back. European and UK pressings had some pretty dodgy batches of vinyl during the 70's and used a fair amount of re-cycled material when needed.. but overall the consensus of opinion during the 70's and 80's (correct or not) was Best- Japan, next- Germany, next- Europe/ UK and Canada, then- USA and last- other Asian countries and Communist countries. Ive found over the years, lots of examples that de-bunk all that but it does seem that was how it was seen over here. About 25% of my collection is US pressings and overall they are easily comparable to what was available to elsewhere in the world.

This thread, like all others, is everybodys, and it's very good to hear your experiences. 

Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2023 at 14:02

I have records with that pressing defect. But generally does not impede the sound much.

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2023 at 11:07
^Dead Link
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2023 at 09:47

Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

Anyone here chomping at the bit to get the Darkside of the Moon 50th Ann Vinyl?

Definitely not when you have the original press. Embarrassed

I have a ‘77 UK 5th pressing A9/B10, really nice!!

I think this man feels the same.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2023 at 09:42
Interesting.
Thanks.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2023 at 07:16

And are you as aggressive with the brush as shown in the video?
Even more when needed.....I actually use one of those flat paint brushes like this...The brush part is not harsh does not scratch record. The bristles are short and get into grooves good. Long bristles will only lay flat on the record surface and not get into the grooves.
I use the brush in the video for the water rinse.

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2023 at 06:50

I have a ‘77 UK 5th pressing A9/B10, really nice!!

Thumbs Up

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2023 at 06:46

Thumbs Up

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2023 at 21:28
And are you as aggressive with the brush as shown in the video?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2023 at 16:46
I'm going to try this for the US cleaner, same price as the Wash*t....It's a 32oz bottle and you only use about 4ml per liter of distilled water.

Audio Intelligent Vinyl Solutions Enzymatic Ultrasonic Record Cleaning Machine Concentrate (32 Ounces)

Edited by Catcher10 - April 01 2023 at 16:47
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2023 at 16:40

Pro-Ject Wash it, Eco-friendly record cleaning concentrate for VC-S/VC-E/VC-S2ALU, 500ml
$92.99 USF

Holy Crap that's expensive.
I can buy it for $59.99 500ml bottle, that will last me two years easy if not more. It's a concentrate have to mix it with distilled water either 1:10 or 1:20 ratio.
Actually much longer, the bottle that comes with the machine is only 100ml...I bet that 500ml would last me 4 yrs.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2023 at 16:38

Pro-Ject Wash it, Eco-friendly record cleaning concentrate for VC-S/VC-E/VC-S2ALU, 500ml
$92.99 USF

I can buy it for $59.99 500ml bottle, that will last me two years easy if not more. It's a concentrate have to mix it with distilled water either 1:10 or 1:20 ratio.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2023 at 15:56
$92.99 USF

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 312>