Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 312>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2024 at 16:42
^ very sweet!
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2024 at 16:18
Like I said...NEVER ENDS !

One another note, I now have all the components for my office/listening room system.
NAD C315BEE Amp
Dual 606 TT with Ortofon Cart and Tonar replacement stylus
NAD PP-1 Phone Pre-Amp
Sony CDP-491 CD Player
B&W DM110i Speakers

Samsung 45" Smart TV
LG BP350 BluRay Player

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2024 at 11:24
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Welcome Back My Friends to the Debate That Never Ends...Ladies and Gentlemen LP or CD ?

Oh boy......LOL. The article has the same old stuff, some of it very debatable even the "scientific proof" stuff. Vinyl has a SNR of about 78-80dB, not too shabby, CD is about 94dB......I agree that none of this matters much as once the music starts it's hard to differentiate. You CAN hear a difference in the redbook sampling rate, that's why we have "listener fatigue", due to the ADC and DAC conversions and the separated bits, it causes your brain to try and fill in the blank spots and will give you a headache and fatigue, let alone what brick walled CDs can do to you.
What article also fails to mention is you can record a wider frequency range on vinyl than you can on a CD, scientific proof that redbook cuts off below 20Hz and above 20KHz......Vinyl has been recorded with 5Hz and as much as 100KHz as a test. A simple cymbal crash can reach 60kHz, you won't experience the decay of those sounds on a CD.

I like CDs very much, durable and easy to rip to my portable media player.......but not engaging in a long listening session.

There is much more to discuss......
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2024 at 09:22
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2024 at 10:15
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

The new Big Big Train album has arrived. I got it from Laser's Edge. Amazing record! Thumbs Up

did it come by train, plane or automobile?? LOL
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2024 at 17:53
The new Big Big Train album has arrived. I got it from Laser's Edge. Amazing record! Thumbs Up
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2024 at 13:39

Picking up original vinyl tomorrow from the local record shop
Smile
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2024 at 12:07
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

Originally posted by hugo1995 hugo1995 wrote:

You from NZ? In all my years here I've met one guy in 2016, because I was wearing a Yes tshirt at Pink Floyd Experience at which he said "nice tshirt". Lol. We really are a progless country.

Anyway: I have a pretty big vinyl collection ($2,700 USD value which I track on discogs). A significant amount of these records are over $100, some more. My rarest album is a german krautrock album called Air - Teilweise Kacke... ...aber Stereo, then Soft Machine Third is pretty pricy these days.

For the past two years or so I have been collecting CD's, prog rock CD's from Europe from the 90s and 2000s. You can get them incredibly cheap and I enjoy listening to CD's in the car. I also speculate that CD's will make a cult return one day, probably in the next ten-fifteen years, just like how vinyl did. I don't collect to sell, but I collect to hold a piece of 70s prog history (or 90s/00s in the case of CDs).

$2,700 minimum or median amount? That's not a really big vinyl collection IMHO. My median is about $5,100 and I think I have a small collection. 
Ha!!! I actually read his post as 2,700 records after he said pretty big vinyl collection.....My median value is showing about $23K. Although it could show $123K as I'm never selling. Regardless, the size is not too important as much as what joy you get out of your records when you spin them.
I remember reading that most collectors only listen to about 30% of their collection on avg regularly, kinda makes sense if you have 100 records that the bulk of what you spin is about 30 records regularly...

Something to ponder it seems.......Cool
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2024 at 05:08
My current LP/CD collection has a replacement value of approx. $51,000.00 CND, and I consider that a moderate collection LOL
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2024 at 19:51

You from NZ? In all my years here I've met one guy in 2016, because I was wearing a Yes tshirt at Pink Floyd Experience at which he said "nice tshirt". Lol. We really are a progless country.

Anyway: I have a pretty big vinyl collection ($2,700 USD value which I track on discogs). A significant amount of these records are over $100, some more. My rarest album is a german krautrock album called Air - Teilweise Kacke... ...aber Stereo, then Soft Machine Third is pretty pricy these days.

For the past two years or so I have been collecting CD's, prog rock CD's from Europe from the 90s and 2000s. You can get them incredibly cheap and I enjoy listening to CD's in the car. I also speculate that CD's will make a cult return one day, probably in the next ten-fifteen years, just like how vinyl did. I don't collect to sell, but I collect to hold a piece of 70s prog history (or 90s/00s in the case of CDs).

$2,700 minimum or median amount? That's not a really big vinyl collection IMHO. My median is about $5,100 and I think I have a small collection. 

Edited by King of Loss - February 26 2024 at 19:54
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2024 at 18:35

Not from NZ but I traveled there for business a few times, a lovely country that I need to return to soon. Problem is that is a spendy tix from the US Cry, I have several friends I need to visit.

My Third is a Holland press, and is NM-/VG+++, I'd value mine at about USD65.00.......but I would never sell it. Thumbs Down. I also keep most of my records on Discogs.

Speaking of Discogs here is a great interview with CEO and COO of Discogs....

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2024 at 14:23
Today's impulse purchase.

I heard that a, somewhat local (25 minute drive), video game store was selling used records. So since I had to head that way this morning I dropped in before I left town and was completely surprised at both the volume and the price/quality they had available.
I grabbed these two and left behind about 7 others I had already pulled out and was walking around with before realizing it wasn't in my budget right now. Cry
Astra was $15, Ammerland was $25, more than fair I think.

hugo1995 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hugo1995 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2024 at 14:21

interests: Moon Safari, Gilgamesh, Egg, ELP, Soft Machine, Gong, Opeth (Everything pre watershed), Brighteye Brison, The Flower Kings
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2024 at 01:05

Finally got most of my collection in one space and somewhat organized. I still need a few more bins for albums and I have at least 250-300 more CD's that need a home. But my listening room is coming along.

Thumbs Up
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2024 at 15:49

I've had a look at my copies of UK releases from the 1970s, as I have a bit special feelings for them, and these are 

some of those I'm most fond of (not all of them are originals though but all in really good condition Smile):

Clearlight  (F)  -  Clearlight Symphony               (Virgin, 1976 UK)          (1975)

Faust  (D)  -  Faust IV              (Virgin, 1973 UK)       (1973)

Genesis -  The Lamb Lies down on Broadway     (Charisma, 1.p. 1974 UK)       (1974)

Gentle Giant  (UK)  -  Acquiring the Taste     (Vertigo, 1974 UK)     (1971) 

Hawkwind  (UK)   -  In Search Of Space       (United Artists, 1.p. 1971 UK)      (1971)

King Crimson  (UK)   -  In the Court of the Crimson King    (Island, 1976 UK)   (1969)           

Premiata Forneria Marconi -  The World Became The World   (Manticore, 1974 GB )   (1974)            

Return to Forever   -  Romantic Warrior      (CBS, 1976 GB)           (1976)   

Tangerine Dream  (D)  -  Stratosfear      (Virgin, 1976 UK)        (1976)

Rick Wakeman  (UK)  -  The Six Wives of Henry VIII       (A&M,  1974 GB)      (1973)

Stomu Yamashta   -  Raindog        (Island, 1975 GB)       (1975) 

Edited by David_D - February 22 2024 at 18:38
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2024 at 10:22
I also really like the new TPT album, I much prefer side 2. It is extremely well mastered, sounds excellent very detailed and fills room with great stuff.
Side 1 to me has too much of the Bruce solo album influence, meaning its very melancholy. When TPT play faster, harder more towards a prog metalish sound that to me is when they can shine. Like I really like Someone Here Is Missing, those songs kick butt....

Very good album thou...
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2024 at 10:06

Nice. I just listened to the Pineapple Thief last Friday. I really enjoyed it.
If you get Juke Box, tell your honey it has to be 50% Prog & Classic Rock !
Silly wabbit....prog songs do not fit on 45 singles LOL
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2024 at 13:32
Nice. I just listened to the Pineapple Thief last Friday. I really enjoyed it.
If you get Juke Box, tell your honey it has to be 50% Prog & Classic Rock !
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2024 at 11:28
A few albums added......The new Pineapple Thief arrived in the mail 3 days ago, seems postal from across the pond is getting better.
The KC, WShorter found at a record shop in San Rafael CA........My wife picked out a bunch of Elvis 45s in original record sleeves. She has been pushing me to buy a juke box player, she likes 45s.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2024 at 20:56

Finally got most of my collection in one space and somewhat organized. I still need a few more bins for albums and I have at least 250-300 more CD's that need a home. But my listening room is coming along.

Very nice collection! ClapClap I wish to have a room like this soon as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 312>