Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 312>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2023 at 16:49

Do you have any preferences concerning type of releases, King of Loss?
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2023 at 12:07
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

All of you guys have more than me. I'm sitting on 133 now, but I also have some years catching up. I'm in my early 30s, so I hope to have 1,000 soon! Big smile

This has increased to 154. I realized that I have an extremely rare vinyl that is coveted by a lot of record collectors sitting in one of my boxes. It was actually the first vinyl I ever bought! Embarrassed

https://www.discogs.com/release/1802421-Arzachel-Arzachel

I actually had acquired this back when I was in High School, now I can't believe how much it is selling for!

My congratulations and anyway, I'm very happy with my records, and not least those which are originals or reissues released in the '70s and the first half of the '80s. Tongue

Edited by David_D - February 26 2023 at 06:18
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2023 at 23:36

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

How many LPs do you have in total, Catcher, if I dare to ask? Big smile

No problem.....actually not that many considering. Back around mid 80s around 1200 LPs. Then when we started to move around the country for different jobs I lost probably 2/3 due to "lost" boxes. Which I chalked up to theft, of course moving companies back then all they did was reimburse you for lost boxes. Who know they may been lost in all the shuffle. But I doubt it.....

I took a position to only buy what I really wanted to listen to rather than become a "collector" again.......Right now I sit around 800 LPs. And about 300 CDs, which I got rid of a lot of CDs in the late 90's early 00's they just sounded like krapp and I never listened to them anyways.

I'm much happier with my collection now.

All of you guys have more than me. I'm sitting on 133 now, but I also have some years catching up. I'm in my early 30s, so I hope to have 1,000 soon! Big smile

This has increased to 154. I realized that I have an extremely rare vinyl that is coveted by a lot of record collectors sitting in one of my boxes. It was actually the first vinyl I ever bought! Embarrassed

https://www.discogs.com/release/1802421-Arzachel-Arzachel

I actually had acquired this back when I was in High School, now I can't believe how much it is selling for!
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2023 at 22:22

Originally posted by IncogNeato IncogNeato wrote:

Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

I'll chime in...

I'm lucky enough to have a couple of cool shops locally that seem to get in solid quality pre-owned vinyl. Excluding water damage and/or terminal scratching, I tend to only buy albums from the original vinyl era.

Here's a short list of some recent grabs:

Chris Squire - Fish Out Of Water
Crow - Best Of Crow
Uriah Heep - s/t (dragon cover)
Yes - Drama
Yes - s/t
Rare Bird - Somebody's Watching
Genesis - Trespass
Genesis - Selling England By The Pound
Mountain - Climbing!
Spooky Tooth - Spooky Two
Gentle Giant - Free Hand
Gentle Giant - Interview
UFO - No Place To Run
Alice Cooper - Goes To Hell
Nektar - Magic If A Child
U.K. - s/t

Nice haul. What kind of pricing are you paying here?

I paid no more than $9 for any given title. A couple I only paid $2-$3 for.

I've been thinking that street store prices are much influenced by online prices, but that may not be so true.

Those two records are quite expensive in pretty good condition.

I recently acquired a NM- copy of the OG Selling England by the Pound and let's say it was not $9 LOL

Edited by King of Loss - February 24 2023 at 22:24
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2023 at 22:21

If to get an idea about how many Prog albums have been reissued on vinyl the last 10 years, a good place to look is here:

https://www.discogs.com/seller/progwalker/profile?format=Vinyl&page=1

- and btw, it's a good, recommendable online seller of not used vinyl for North Americans. Smile

I buy from Greg direct, not thru Discogs.....There was a time probably 5-6yrs ago I was buying every other month from him. Then he went offline for awhile (can't remember why) and I came back but the past couple yrs I've not seen much I want from him.
He for sure has a great selection.....

Yep, I second Greg. He's great for prog vinyl if you live in the US.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2023 at 16:16

I'll chime in...

I'm lucky enough to have a couple of cool shops locally that seem to get in solid quality pre-owned vinyl. Excluding water damage and/or terminal scratching, I tend to only buy albums from the original vinyl era.

Crow - Best Of Crow
Yes - Drama
Yes - s/t
Genesis - Trespass
Mountain - Climbing!
Gentle Giant - Free Hand
Gentle Giant - Interview
UFO - No Place To Run
U.K. - s/t

I've been thinking that street store prices are much influenced by online prices, but that may not be so true.

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2023 at 14:44

If to get an idea about how many Prog albums have been reissued on vinyl the last 10 years, a good place to look is here:

- and btw, it's a good, recommendable online seller of not used vinyl for North Americans. Smile

I buy from Greg direct, not thru Discogs.....There was a time probably 5-6yrs ago I was buying every other month from him. Then he went offline for awhile (can't remember why) and I came back but the past couple yrs I've not seen much I want from him.

quite a lot of Italian

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2023 at 12:55

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2023 at 12:53

^And the quality? VG+ or better?

In terms of the sleeves, VG to VG+. I skip any peeling, water damage, etc. Cut outs I don't mind.

In terms of the vinyl itself, they play through with no issues. Depending on the age, there may be pops and hisses, but no skipping. 

Both places clean everything before putting it on the floor so visual issues are easy to see and they allow returns for skipping.
Name of store and maybe they parcel ship?

Hippo Records // Greensboro, NC

King Records // Archdale, NC

They're both on FB, but I can't speak to whether they ship or not.
Thumbs Up
IncogNeato View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IncogNeato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2023 at 11:33

In terms of the sleeves, VG to VG+. I skip any peeling, water damage, etc. Cut outs I don't mind.

In terms of the vinyl itself, they play through with no issues. Depending on the age, there may be pops and hisses, but no skipping. 

Both places clean everything before putting it on the floor so visual issues are easy to see and they allow returns for skipping.

Hippo Records // Greensboro, NC

King Records // Archdale, NC

They're both on FB, but I can't speak to whether they ship or not.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2023 at 11:26

Edited by David_D - February 24 2023 at 11:36
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2023 at 10:57

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IncogNeato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2023 at 14:05

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2023 at 13:42
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IncogNeato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2023 at 10:44

I'll chime in...

Crow - Best Of Crow
Yes - Drama
Yes - s/t
Genesis - Trespass
Mountain - Climbing!
Gentle Giant - Free Hand
Gentle Giant - Interview
UFO - No Place To Run
U.K. - s/t

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2023 at 10:41

I'll chime in...

Crow - Best Of Crow
Yes - Drama
Yes - s/t
Genesis - Trespass
Mountain - Climbing!
Gentle Giant - Free Hand
Gentle Giant - Interview
UFO - No Place To Run
U.K. - s/t

Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2023 at 09:10
Just picked up:
Pendragon - Passion
Comus - Out of the Coma   white/black splatter
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IncogNeato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2023 at 07:15
I'll chime in...

Crow - Best Of Crow
Yes - Drama
Yes - s/t
Genesis - Trespass
Mountain - Climbing!
Gentle Giant - Free Hand
Gentle Giant - Interview
UFO - No Place To Run
U.K. - s/t

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2023 at 05:13
To be honest, I don't expect to find any of these in any decent shape around these parts, and by that I mean in North America. I have found some overseas and they are dear, $100 by the time you factor in shipping.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2023 at 18:36

Which original release album should I buy next?

Kraftwerk - Autobahn
Gryphon - Red Queen to Gryphon Three
Queen - A Night at the Opera
Schicke & Führs & Fröhling - Symphonic Pictures
ELO - Eldorado
King Crimson - Starless and Bible Black

Round these parts, I find it really hard to locate a VG++ of any KC. I have that Gryphon album on Bell records from 1974.
I guess whichever you can find in VG++/NM would be my choice...or all of them!! Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 312>