Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5657585960 312>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2022 at 11:19
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Cool....I have all my original KC on vinyl, most sound just fine as the mastering back then was not great for King Crimson, especially In the Court, but that was a tape machine issue.
The recent remastered versions all sound excellent, I'm only missing Starless and Bible Black reissue. I found a VG+ copy in Calif 2 months ago for $20, my original one is in bad shape now...All the reissues are on 200g and are flat, well done.

And what do you think in general of digital remastering, Catcher?
A rabbit hole topic/question. All new recordings are done in the digital domain, including the mastering. For the most part I have zero issue with this, do I think recordings from back in the day done on tape all analog are better? Sure some/many/most are, capturing the recording is really a mic thing. If the recording engineer is skilled at mic'ing up a band very well in the studio then that's the start of a great recording, digital or analog.
Problem is most bands nowadays record via email from their home studios....

Now remastering an older all analog recording using digital program like ProTools and all that can create a terrible sounding record but done by a very good engineer can be a great sounding record as well. 
Remixing an older recording, like what Steven Wilson does, can make a bad older recording come to life and sound pretty special, again if done right. 
Mastering and cutting all records is key, from digital or tape, adding a ton of compression just sucks the life out of the music it should be outlawed! LOL

For the most part I am glad to have LPs, pretty much all my LPs trounce my CD versions from a sound point. The soundstage, depth and imaging is so much better. The CD still, probably always, has that clinical sterile sound that is tough to connect with.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2022 at 13:09

Cool....I have all my original KC on vinyl, most sound just fine as the mastering back then was not great for King Crimson, especially In the Court, but that was a tape machine issue.
The recent remastered versions all sound excellent, I'm only missing Starless and Bible Black reissue. I found a VG+ copy in Calif 2 months ago for $20, my original one is in bad shape now...All the reissues are on 200g and are flat, well done.

And what do you think in general of digital remastering, Catcher?

Edited by David_D - May 13 2022 at 06:22
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2022 at 02:30

I'd say my KC releases sound quite okay, even more than enough dynamic on the Japanese Larks' songs - hot stuff 
- and in general, I like very much the releases from the 70's, or early 80's.

Edited by David_D - May 11 2022 at 03:31
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2022 at 17:26
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Pressing Plant ID (Runouts & labels): Q
Matrix / Runout (Side A runout, etched): XBS-3629-A Q
Matrix / Runout (Side B runout, etched): XBS-3629-B Q

Embossed cover, nice, and Canadian releases use to have relatively hardback covers.

I certainly prefer my records to play clean, but I don't mind covers to have a bit of wear (no creases though). Actually, I like when they don't look new.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2022 at 14:47

Correct
I just finished the first through beginning to end and am happy to report NM/NM !

Bootiful!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2022 at 14:47

congratulations, JD

When talking about KC and vinyl, I'm very fond of my three LP's

King Crimson (UK)  In the Court of the Crimson King  (Island, 1976 UK, 120g, a. 2000, 400) (1969)

King Crimson    Larks’ Tongues in Aspic     (Atlantic, 1976 J, 125g, a. 2020, 400)     (1973)        

King Crimson    Red     (Editions EG, 1987 US, half speed mastered, 115g, a. 2011, 500)   (1974)       

They are all high quality releases, and in very good condition, except from Lark's Tongues cover having some 
yellow-brown staints from (Japanese) humidity, and Red not being particularly flat.

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2022 at 14:39
Correct
I just finished the first through beginning to end and am happy to report NM/NM !

Edited by JD - May 10 2022 at 14:40
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2022 at 14:36

Q is Quality Records in Canada, I think right? Yours is a Canadian label variant?
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2022 at 14:33
I'd kill for a mint condition copy of Starless and Bible Black. Well, I mean I won't actually commit murder you understand. I do have morals. But what a treat a NM copy of that LP would be.
On my list.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2022 at 12:53
congratulations, JD

When talking about KC and vinyl, I'm very fond of my three LP's

King Crimson (UK)  In the Court of the Crimson King  (Island, 1976 UK, 120g, a. 2000, 400) (1969)

King Crimson    Larks’ Tongues in Aspic     (Atlantic, 1976 J, 125g, a. 2020, 400)     (1973)        

King Crimson    Red     (Editions EG, 1987 US, half speed mastered, 115g, a. 2011, 500)   (1974)       

They are all high quality releases, and in very good condition, except from Lark's Tongues cover having some 
yellow-brown staints from (Japanese) humidity, and Red not being particularly flat.

Edited by David_D - May 10 2022 at 13:50
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2022 at 12:29
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

"Inflation"? I'd say that used vinyl prices have got entirely mad. Confused 
David, this reminds me of an image I saw of a large record store, who in about 2005, parked a skip outside and dumped all their vinyl into it, with a sign saying 'help yourself' as they apparently needed the space... Confused

times are a changin' 

Edited by David_D - May 10 2022 at 12:30
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2022 at 12:24

David, this reminds me of an image I saw of a large record store, who in about 2005, parked a skip outside and dumped all their vinyl into it, with a sign saying 'help yourself' as they apparently needed the space... Confused

Edited by Jared - May 10 2022 at 12:24
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2022 at 12:13
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2022 at 11:23

Cover looks great......my version is cut by George Piros (@tGP in deadwax)
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2022 at 10:44
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2022 at 09:22

A 45 minute drive and $20 cash and I'll have my King Crimson loving hands all over that bad boy.
I had that on cassette back in the day, about 15yrs ago purchased the LP for $3.99 at a record store....Inflation..

Edited by David_D - May 09 2022 at 09:22
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2022 at 09:10

A 45 minute drive and $20 cash and I'll have my King Crimson loving hands all over that bad boy.
I had that on cassette back in the day, about 15yrs ago purchased the LP for $3.99 at a record store....Inflation..
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2022 at 18:39
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2022 at 15:58
Create meme &quot;Im watching you meme, im watching you meme, meme Im watching  you pictures&quot; - Pictures - Meme-arsenal.com
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2022 at 13:36
Oh Yeah !
Right now I'm trying to run a deal for the KC Discipline LP to give me the trifecta.
Watch this space.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5657585960 312>