Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 21:53
Just put on Supertramp~Crime of the Century........one of the best sounding albums, next to Steely Dan~Aja. Both are fantastic sounding, as well as great albums.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2013 at 04:45
^ Thanks to Ken Scott - he also worked with 'Happy The Man' - great work right there
Oh, never could get into SD....

Edited by Tom Ozric - December 06 2013 at 04:46
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2013 at 09:06
Aja is my favorite SD album...jazzy, poppy, soulful...just has a bit of everything. For an album that people originally thought would not do well..surprise! Not only is it a fantastic sounding vinyl, its a great album.
I have no need to get one of the MOFI or other versions....I like the original.

Edited by Catcher10 - December 06 2013 at 09:06
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2013 at 11:47
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ Oh, ye Monty Python addict !!
It's not my fault, my hovercraft is full of eels. Tongue
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2013 at 13:29
I have recently bought a number of 180g vinyls: Ever (which plays at 45 rpm!), The Masquerade Overture, Seasons End, The Lamb Lies Down, Dark Matter, Moonmadness, The Snow Goose and Tales From The Lush Attic amongst them.

Vinyl is always my favourite medium; I prefer the sound. But you need a good deck, arm and cartridge to really appreciate them.

A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2013 at 14:24
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

^ Oh, ye Monty Python addict !!

It's not my fault, my hovercraft is full of eels. Tongue
Better get me a bucket, I gonna throw up
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2013 at 14:28
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Aja is my favorite SD album...jazzy, poppy, soulful...just has a bit of everything. For an album that people originally thought would not do well..surprise! Not only is it a fantastic sounding vinyl, its a great album.

I once watched a documentary on the making of this album (I think a 'Classic Albums' series of some sort) - it was interesting to know Wayne Shorter (Weather Report) played some sax. It didn't 'grab' me though.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2013 at 15:22
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

I have recently bought a number of 180g vinyls: Ever (which plays at 45 rpm!), The Masquerade Overture, Seasons End, The Lamb Lies Down, Dark Matter, Moonmadness, The Snow Goose and Tales From The Lush Attic amongst them.

Vinyl is always my favourite medium; I prefer the sound. But you need a good deck, arm and cartridge to really appreciate them.

I have to say the CD version of Seasons End is pretty damn good, not bright or fatiguing to listen to. So that keeps me from getting the vinyl version, but I do want it......I just need to pull the trigger.
On the Camel albums are those the ones remixed by Steven Wilson?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2013 at 17:17

Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

I have to say the CD version of Seasons End is pretty damn good, not bright or fatiguing to listen to. So that keeps me from getting the vinyl version, but I do want it......I just need to pull the trigger.
On the Camel albums are those the ones remixed by Steven Wilson?
I've the original vinyl pressing of Seasons End from 1989, I never heard it on CD and haven't heard the 180g pressing to see if it makes any difference (doubt it to be honest, it's not like the original was on Dynaflex or anything as poor as that). What I do have is all three singles from that album on 12" 45s and they are excellent.
What?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2013 at 19:40

I once watched a documentary on the making of this album (I think a 'Classic Albums' series of some sort) - it was interesting to know Wayne Shorter (Weather Report) played some sax. It didn't 'grab' me though.

I would not mind watching that...will have to look for it. Thanks for the tip!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2013 at 20:00

^ Thanks to Ken Scott - he also worked with 'Happy The Man' - great work right there
Oh, never could get into SD....
Try this.....my namesake song...Wink

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2013 at 22:00
^ Well, are you crazy or are you high ??
I could tolerate the song, but still, I dunno, too 'straight'. Just doesn't excite me at all. Thanks.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2013 at 01:48
I have an incredible pressing of I Robot by APP and listened to it again the other day on my affordable Denon turntable....Man, what soundSmile

Aja on vinyl, now your talking!
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2013 at 06:43

^ Well, are you crazy or are you high ??
I could tolerate the song, but still, I dunno, too 'straight'. Just doesn't excite me at all. Thanks.
Well....I guess their music is straighter than most prog but imo the lyrics  are better than most prog lyrics.
But they don't pretend to be prog and that's ok with me since I like a great deal of non prog music.

Crazy or high...? I 'll let others make that call.
Big smile
Oh....and so we stay on topic, I have all of their albums on vinyl but I usually listen to the cd's.

Edited by dr wu23 - December 08 2013 at 06:44
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2013 at 13:27
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

I have an incredible pressing of I Robot by APP and listened to it again the other day on my affordable Denon turntable....Man, what soundSmile

I never had a copy of this album by APP......I have a CD. What is the catalog number on your copy?
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2013 at 20:29

Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

I never had a copy of this album by APP......I have a CD. What is the catalog number on your copy?
Arista AL 7002 on spine  and this on the vinyl  AL 7002 (AL 7002SB) p 1977 Arista Records inc.
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2013 at 23:52
^ Excellent thanks!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2013 at 22:07
Just got in the mail today:

Riverside~Shrine of New Generation Slaves 2-LP
The Flower Kings~Desolation Rose 2-LP/2-CD

Should get to spin them later this week....looking forward to a night of vinyl bliss!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2013 at 17:11
LP's come in sleeves with many different finishes - Laminated, Matte, Textured, Gloss, Varnished/Lacquered, Cloth/Leather etc. I was trawling through some of my records and noticed my Steeleye Span 'Parcel Of Rogues' and Tangerine Dream 'Rubycon' are both g/f sleeves which are laminated inside and out (70's pressings no doubt). I quite like that. I think the quality of sleeves has definitely improved over the last 20 years. Any thoughts ?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2013 at 17:54
The new Riverside album I just received is kind cardboard'ish, rough not slick finished, unlike the Flower Kings album like most has that laminated slick feel.

My Soft Machine IV has a textured orange peel finish. I think the CGI and simply the better printing options with laser and such has contributed to better graphics and better over all quality.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 312>