Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2014 at 12:45
Also Catcher!!

Congrats on the new cartridge. I am sure that turntable of yours is singing pretty clear now.
The worst is hearing any kind of 'popping' or small crackling sounds when trying to concentrate on an album your listening to. ;)

So what's the make and model on that sucker? :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2014 at 13:10
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Also Catcher!!

Congrats on the new cartridge. I am sure that turntable of yours is singing pretty clear now.
The worst is hearing any kind of 'popping' or small crackling sounds when trying to concentrate on an album your listening to. ;)

My older vinyl has some surface noise but that is perfectly fine...old things creek and crack on occasion
But I am meticulous on cleaning my vinyl and needle, I have 30yr old vinyl that has no surface noise. Once the music starts you don't hear any tics or pops..In between songs who cares....

Cartridge is an Audio Technica ATOC9ML/II moving coil cartridge. The ML stands for Micro-Line, that shape mimics the shape of the cutter head used to create the master stamper, so it digs deep and pulls out much more detail. Shibata and Line Contact are other terms to describe that cut of diamond.

Edited by Catcher10 - July 10 2014 at 13:11
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 17:01

Its amazing how fantastic some of these old recordings are, just sitting and hearing what is going on, its crazy good. These engineers back in the day really studied their craft and perfected mic placement in recording studios. Versus now adays "just put a whole bunch of mics in the room since we have endless tracks with digital recording..."

Oh well, maybe some can make it work but nothing sounds as good as some of these old recordings. The emotion of Louis's face is so present on this recording, I can see it in the grooves

Vinyl on my analog friends!

Edited by Catcher10 - July 12 2014 at 17:04
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 21:35
OK, this is kind of weird, but here goes.

For my birthday, my wife's sister and her husband sent me an LP in the mail.  It wasn't on my wish list, and I don't even know if they are fans of the artist or not (neither of them are really music fans at all, to be honest), it was a total surprise.  The LP in question was "Lazaretto", the new album by Jack White (formerly of White Stripes).   I have no real knowledge of his music in any of his various bands, but I was aware of who he is and I may have heard a White Stripes song or two in the past.  So I never dreamed I'd ever get this album, least of all on vinyl.

Now the weirder part.  Tonight, I put it on, and all I heard was a weird looping noise in a locked groove at the beginning of side 1.  So I figured ok, a defective record.  I'll just skip past that part and pretend that wasn't there.  So I did, and about a minute later it happened again.   So I dropped the needle much farther into the side and watched.  And lo and behold, the record was running backwards!  I mean, it was spinning the right way, but the grooves were running out from the center to the edge rather than vice versa as it has been on every other record I've seen.  I admit to being a little creeped out by this.  Thousands of records over 40+ years and I... I... I need to sit down.

Doesn't seem natural, and I'm not sure it sounded that great.  What's up with that?
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 21:51
Still living the analog dream. I am THE ANALOG KID.

:)
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 22:19
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

For my birthday, my wife's sister and her husband sent me an LP in the mail.  It wasn't on my wish list, and I don't even know if they are fans of the artist or not (neither of them are really music fans at all, to be honest), it was a total surprise.  The LP in question was "Lazaretto", the new album by Jack White (formerly of White Stripes).   I have no real knowledge of his music in any of his various bands, but I was aware of who he is and I may have heard a White Stripes song or two in the past.  So I never dreamed I'd ever get this album, least of all on vinyl.

Now the weirder part.  Tonight, I put it on, and all I heard was a weird looping noise in a locked groove at the beginning of side 1.  So I figured ok, a defective record.  I'll just skip past that part and pretend that wasn't there.  So I did, and about a minute later it happened again.   So I dropped the needle much farther into the side and watched.  And lo and behold, the record was running backwards!  I mean, it was spinning the right way, but the grooves were running out from the center to the edge rather than vice versa as it has been on every other record I've seen.  I admit to being a little creeped out by this.  Thousands of records over 40+ years and I... I... I need to sit down.

Doesn't seem natural, and I'm not sure it sounded that great.  What's up with that?

This is the best (sort of) thing I have read about a record since hearing about one that was half ITCOTCK and half Status Quo (or one labelled Bruce Springsteen when it was supposed to be Aerosmith. Satanic Messages (backward masking) notwithstanding - the fun you could have with these and this record on the gullible and suggestible.

Do not get rid of this record! Wonder what the digital medium sounds like...

An interesting pressing fault. Tweet White and see what he says.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 12:01

Lazaretto is a special album that Jack did with many, many hidden tid bits. Side 1 plays from inside out, you start the needle at the very inside groove. The locked groove, which is a common thing, is actually on the outside edge to prevent the needle from falling off the edge.
Side 2 has a double groove for the first song, one is an acoustic start, the other groove is a full set...both grooves then lead into one groove to finish out the song...very cool.

Also did you notice the hologram as the record spins of the angels? A page or two back here I posted a link to his video introducing the album features. Here is my post.....

Enjoy the album, I am not a listener of his music, I do like Side 2 best though

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

So yesterday I received my copy of Jack White's Lazaretto (Ultra LP). If you did not read up on it, this album has a lot of vinyl "gimmicks" included. I am not a JW listener but I wanted this album for its gimmicky stuff.

Here is a YT of the stuff on the vinyl....also this album was recorded to tape and all analog mastering. I will say the sound quality is very good, nice and warm with ZERO compression! Wish other artists would do this.

Anyhow its a cool album, good sound.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 14:10
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

This is the best (sort of) thing I have read about a record since hearing about one that was half ITCOTCK and half Status Quo (or one labelled Bruce Springsteen when it was supposed to be Aerosmith. Satanic Messages (backward masking) notwithstanding - the fun you could have with these and this record on the gullible and suggestible. Do not get rid of this record! Wonder what the digital medium sounds like...An interesting pressing fault. Tweet White and see what he says.

Its not a pressing fault......everything on the album was done on purpose.
This release charted the highest vinyl release of the year a couple weeks ago..I think it was something like 50,000 units on vinyl...I think

Pretty cool!
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 14:23

Lazaretto is a special album that Jack did with many, many hidden tid bits. Side 1 plays from inside out, you start the needle at the very inside groove. The locked groove, which is a common thing, is actually on the outside edge to prevent the needle from falling off the edge.
Side 2 has a double groove for the first song, one is an acoustic start, the other groove is a full set...both grooves then lead into one groove to finish out the song...very cool.

Also did you notice the hologram as the record spins of the angels? A page or two back here I posted a link to his video introducing the album features. Here is my post.....

Enjoy the album, I am not a listener of his music, I do like Side 2 best though

So yesterday I received my copy of Jack White's Lazaretto (Ultra LP). If you did not read up on it, this album has a lot of vinyl "gimmicks" included. I am not a JW listener but I wanted this album for its gimmicky stuff.

Here is a YT of the stuff on the vinyl....also this album was recorded to tape and all analog mastering. I will say the sound quality is very good, nice and warm with ZERO compression! Wish other artists would do this.

Anyhow its a cool album, good sound.

Thanks for clearing that up.  Wasn't aware of the double groove on side two, but I have noticed that the record just flat out looks different.  The sleeve talks about the hologram, but maybe my lighting wasn't too good because I couldn't see it.

I think I may have read your old post when you talked about it before, but it had slipped my mind.  When I wrote my post last night, I had a vague memory of something.   Story of my life after 40... vague memories of things all day long.

So it seems like a cool album to have after all.  I wonder if my sister in law was aware of all this when she got it for me.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 15:45
Yes it looks different because there is no "lip" on the outer edge due to the outside locked groove, so it is a flat record. Also one side is a flat black matte finish to give it that old 78rpm looking finish.

One thing I have not done is play the tracks that lie in the label...My tone arm will not go that far, and you are playing the tracks thru the paper label, not too keen on doing that with my cartridge...what I understand its just some noise anyway...

I think it is a cool album to have in a collection.
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawkwise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 13:48

Another vinyl gem to discuss....This one always amazes me at how good it sounds even today. The clarity and placement of instruments within the soundstage is excellent.
The rhythm guitar on side I is fantastic and the cymbal ride tapping is super sweet, the vocals are so nice too.

Of course another RL in the deadwax...the guy is a genius at his craft.

Nektar !!!

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 13:50
^ Your killing me Hawk!!! I need to find more Nektar....
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawkwise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 13:54

Another news pc on vinyl and the gaining popularity of it...

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/vinyls-resurrection-sales-at-a-record-high/

Much as its nice to see vinyl on the Up again, the Down side is the Prices are going up through the roof 

45 Bucks for the new Division Bell , that comes with no sleeve notes or lyric sheet .

I call that a Rip Off. which is a shame as i wouldn't mind it just to complete my Floyd Vinyl ( I have all the other Floyd on Vinyl )  but ent paying 45 freaking bucks ...

Blue Note the Jazz label are amble to re issue all there old classics for just under 20 bucks a shot and are top class
pressings so if they can do it then ????

But Hey Money its gas grab that cash with both hands etc etc

Edited by Hawkwise - July 19 2014 at 13:57
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawkwise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 14:02

Its amazing how fantastic some of these old recordings are, just sitting and hearing what is going on, its crazy good. These engineers back in the day really studied their craft and perfected mic placement in recording studios. Versus now adays "just put a whole bunch of mics in the room since we have endless tracks with digital recording..."

Oh well, maybe some can make it work but nothing sounds as good as some of these old recordings. The emotion of Louis's face is so present on this recording, I can see it in the grooves

SNAP !!

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 16:40
Originally posted by Hawkwise Hawkwise wrote:

Another news pc on vinyl and the gaining popularity of it...

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/vinyls-resurrection-sales-at-a-record-high/

Much as its nice to see vinyl on the Up again, the Down side is the Prices are going up through the roof 
45 Bucks for the new Division Bell , that comes with no sleeve notes or lyric sheet .
I call that a Rip Off. which is a shame as i wouldn't mind it just to complete my Floyd Vinyl ( I have all the other Floyd on Vinyl )  but ent paying 45 freaking bucks ...
Blue Note the Jazz label are amble to re issue all there old classics for just under 20 bucks a shot and are top class
pressings so if they can do it then ????
But Hey Money its gas grab that cash with both hands etc etc

I agree...demand and supply, business 101..If they demand it then charge more! Look at all analog gear prices, have gone up at least 25% over the past 5yrs. You could buy Nagaoka cartridges cheap, the top end MP-500 used to be about US$450, now it runs close to $600.

There are some good buys out there, gotta look though and as you know you get what you pay for. Especially these new issues on vinyl, so many people are demanding more mastering from analog tape, and if they do it does cost more, but really not much, sounds glorious when done right though.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 16:42
Originally posted by Hawkwise Hawkwise wrote:

SNAP !!

Great analog minds think alike!!

akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akamaisondufromage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 08:40

Cleaning Vinyl with Wood Glue!

LOL

digg.com/video/want-to-hear-a-satisfying-noise-clean-your-vinyls-with-wood-glue?utm_source=digg&utm_medium=email

Edited by akamaisondufromage - July 20 2014 at 08:41
Help me I'm falling!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 12:26
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

Cleaning Vinyl with Wood Glue!LOLdigg.com/video/want-to-hear-a-satisfying-noise-clean-your-vinyls-with-wood-glue?utm_source=digg&utm_medium=email

It can work, I tried it on a very dirty $1 purchase yard sale find. It takes too long and I don't have the patience. But it did pull out all the gunk and grime in the grooves. The "glue disc" had all the gunk stuck to it..
What I actually prefer on super dirty yard sale finds is using Scrubbing Bubbles and a soft paint pad, scrub away and rinse it well. Leaves the LP squeaky clean......
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2014 at 18:41

Yes it looks different because there is no "lip" on the outer edge due to the outside locked groove, so it is a flat record. Also one side is a flat black matte finish to give it that old 78rpm looking finish.

One thing I have not done is play the tracks that lie in the label...My tone arm will not go that far, and you are playing the tracks thru the paper label, not too keen on doing that with my cartridge...what I understand its just some noise anyway...

I think it is a cool album to have in a collection.

I remember you describing the characteristics and unique attributes of that record. I found that incredibly fascinating.
Pretty amazing stuff. Just too bad the music isn't Marillion quality.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2014 at 19:38

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Also Catcher!!

My older vinyl has some surface noise but that is perfectly fine...old things creek and crack on occasion
But I am meticulous on cleaning my vinyl and needle, I have 30yr old vinyl that has no surface noise. Once the music starts you don't hear any tics or pops..In between songs who cares....

Cartridge is an Audio Technica ATOC9ML/II moving coil cartridge. The ML stands for Micro-Line, that shape mimics the shape of the cutter head used to create the master stamper, so it digs deep and pulls out much more detail. Shibata and Line Contact are other terms to describe that cut of diamond.

And that is how you groove those lines to perfection and that what separates the men from the boys in quality music listening. Well done.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 312>