Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2014 at 01:37
^ You have good taste, my friend
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2014 at 12:27
^
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2014 at 15:36
I finally saw the recent vinyl comeback with my own eyes: today I went to a store that had only a small shelf with some uninteresting and expensive vinyls and now has a whole vinyl section with lots of great music and not much more expensive than the CD versions. Shocked

Edited by Meltdowner - August 10 2014 at 15:37
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2014 at 17:57
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I finally saw the recent vinyl comeback with my own eyes: today I went to a store that had only a small shelf with some uninteresting and expensive vinyls and now has a whole vinyl section with lots of great music and not much more expensive than the CD versions. Shocked

That is very cool...maybe the store selection will continue to grow for you. I bet there is a lot of interesting old LP's floating around your part of the world.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 09:03
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

That is very cool...maybe the store selection will continue to grow for you. I bet there is a lot of interesting old LP's floating around your part of the world.

Probably not in my country (for a lot of reasons), but I imagine that a trip to France, Italy, Germany or the UK might be great for vinyl shopping Wink
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2014 at 11:01

Probably not in my country (for a lot of reasons), but I imagine that a
trip to France, Italy, Germany or the UK might be great for vinyl
shopping

Wink

That would be incredibly interesting for someone like me....I am starting to read where in much smaller countries vinyl is just going away, sent to the rubbish pile. And we are talking about music that was never converted to digital so the music will just vanish, never to be heard again by anyone.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2014 at 20:34

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

An interesting article about vinyl's sales and manufacturing:http://pitchfork.com/features/articles/9467-wax-and-wane-the-tough-realities-behind-vinyls-comeback/

Speaking of this. I'm not a fan of his music, but I heard that the latest 'JACK WHITE' vinyl pressing is the highest selling vinyl in 20 years! Is this true? ;)
It's on the article: 23 years.I'm not a fan too, but the other I turned on the radio and it was playing his last single and I though it was quite good: the violin solo at the end reminded me of Mahavishnu Orchestra Smile

I need to spin it again, don't recall the violin part....

Hey man! What are those interesting unique features on that jack what pressing again??
Something about playing it backwards?
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2014 at 22:19
Jack White-Lazaretto

Side 1 = Plays from inside out. In the deadwax area there is a hologram of two angels that look like floating when the light hits it just right. Outer groove is a locked groove, obviously, of just noise music.

Side 2 = First song is a dbl groove for about the first 2 min. One track is the acoustic start, second groove is normal full band start. Both grooves lead into the remainder of the song, this is very cool. Side 2 is also a matte finish to look like 78 shellac record.
Both labels have hidden grooves playable, one at 45rpm the other at 78rpm. I believe this is the first album to have all 3 speeds on one LP.

I think that's it....watch the youtube I posted several pages back...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2014 at 13:00

That would be incredibly interesting for someone like me....I am starting to read where in much smaller countries vinyl is just going away, sent to the rubbish pile. And we are talking about music that was never converted to digital so the music will just vanish, never to be heard again by anyone.

There's a lot of music I wouldn't mind that vanish LOL
Occasionally I visit a website that shares rare portuguese vinyl rips, some of them made by band members or someone from their family.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2014 at 14:01
I remember seeing something on the box, when CD's started taking over (must've been around 1990) where there was a bulldozer just dumping tons of LP's into this massive crusher. I couldn't believe my eyes.....
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2014 at 14:17
My father has some LP's in his collection that he found in the garbage around that time. One of them is Bob Marley's Legend that curiously is on this year's top selling vinyl albums Tongue
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2014 at 14:42
I have 3 boxes of vinyl from a retired Army sgt he gave me, he loved what I call American easy listening pop music. 99% I would never listen to, but do I plan to throw them away?? NEVER....somebody likes this music and would love to hear it spin again.
One day I will be able to do that for someone and make them smile...maybe go to a nursing home and set up my system and spin them some vinyl.
In the boxes are things like soundtracks...Sound of Music, Westside Story and many others like that.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2014 at 18:28
^ Treasure-Trove
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2014 at 01:24
Then there are those people who purchase vinyl only to rip it right away and never play the vinyl again and listen only to the digital rip. I guess they are only interested in the artwork and you can not really call them vinyl lovers?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2014 at 05:52
What?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2014 at 12:40
Hmm...interesting about Portishead, will have to look into that one for sure.

Yea ripping from vinyl is labor intensive, especially if you want to use software to remove pops, clicks and such. I have done this on some very bad albums that were not taken care of. I used to use GrooveMechanic many years ago that did a fantastic job of cleaning pops, clicks.
Think I still have the program on my PC..
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2014 at 17:14
I'm glad i read that. I just came here to bemoan how the last 2 (sealed, new) LPs I bought have a lot of excess surface noise that reminds me why I was happy when CDs came out. They're both by very small indie bands, so I don't expect top of the line mastering, but still, quite a drag. The one I got today starts out very quietly and the surface noise over that was nearly unbearable. I know it's not the end of the world, and it's not as horrible as I'm saying it is, but still, :0(

I do rip my new vinyl to my computer for daily listening, keeping the vinyl itself for "special occasions", so if there's a way to digitally clean that sh*t up, then I'm open to that.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2014 at 19:24
^ Just search for vinyl ripping software...I have used Audacity too, I did not like it much. The noise removal features did not work well for me.
Groove Mechanic does an outstanding job for me, its made to adjust the sound from a vinyl rip.
YMMV
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2014 at 01:52
I've just ordered my copy of Yes' Heaven And Earth in dbl Aqua Blue vinyl
I've not yet heard a note from this album, read all the negative bashing about it and I'm really excited to hear this new offering regardless. I love (that's right - LOVE) Fly From Here (I am a fan of Buggles anyway) and I love Glass Hammer. What's not to like ???

Edited by Tom Ozric - August 17 2014 at 01:53
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2014 at 02:33
^ Ohhh nice Tom! I listened once so far, need to listen more. Please post a pic of that album once it arrives...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 312>