Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 11:25
Thanks Nick....it is pretty sweet issue, they did a nice job. This came with a CD which is not as nice sounding as the LP version, at least with the A/B tests I have done.

What I need to do is run it thru my external DAC thru the tube buffer....see if that helps some.

I expect the next vinyl issue will be Snow, which of course I will get.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 12:45
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Thanks Nick....it is pretty sweet issue, they did a nice job. This came with a CD which is not as nice sounding as the LP version, at least with the A/B tests I have done.

What I need to do is run it thru my external DAC thru the tube buffer....see if that helps some.

I expect the next vinyl issue will be Snow, which of course I will get.

I assume that is with the Grant? Yeah. Let me know your findings. I imagine it'll be tough topping that LP with those Epos speakers. Also. What model Of AKG headphones do you have again? Are they closed back?
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 15:44
Closed back, AKG K272HD.....I don't use them enough
Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 22:28

Originally posted by Sheavy Sheavy wrote:

Isn't that a logo for a record company? Can't remember the name.

Hmmm...not sure, if it is one I have never seen don't think, now I gotta go look!

Just remembered this.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 11:39
^ Never heard of that label....thanks for letting us know!
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2014 at 10:38

Ah yes. Those are studio monitors. Very even Kealed sound. Have no bass bloom. Pretty good choice consodering the gear you have. I really love AKG. Their 812's and K 550 are quite amazing. My next pair of travel cans will be from AKG guaranteed. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2014 at 13:07
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Ah yes. Those are studio monitors. Very even Kealed sound. Have no bass bloom. Pretty good choice consodering the gear you have. I really love AKG. Their 812's and K 550 are quite amazing. My next pair of travel cans will be from AKG guaranteed. :)

Correct...I mainly use them when making reel to reel tapes as I monitor the feed from my turntable to adjust volume levels. As I record I use "monitor" rather than "source" so I can adjust the sound as I listen to what is being recorded.

I also use them with my laptop when I watch youtube concerts and such. They work ok with my ZuneHD but I have a pr of IEM Monster Turbine ProGold, which I love.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2014 at 18:12
Sireena Records have re-issued the YES album Open Your Eyes as a dbl red vinyl edition !!
It's not their best album, but I'll still be acquiring a copy.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2014 at 18:58
^ Thanks for the update....I might also jump in since I have zero desire to get the new one on vinyl.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2014 at 18:19
I'm not a Beatles fan at all, nor the members music. But this video is pretty cool.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7dMSReA3Uo

Edited by Catcher10 - September 10 2014 at 18:20
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2014 at 09:55
This is too cool....Its why we spin vinyl and dig, and dig and dig in the bins.

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7yoj/scottrade-records-our-passion-is-to-power-yours
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2014 at 13:24
^ Nice ad. I don't understand what they're selling though LOL
Surrealist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Surrealist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 23:37
Thanks for pointing me to this thread.. I didn't know such a thing existed.  I hope I can contribute and learn here about vinyl releases old or new. 

Like others here, I never left vinyl.. or gave away my collection.  I have lugged around 2000 records through 4 moves!

A few years back I upgraded from solid state NAD to vintage HH Scott Tube amp (340 B) fully restored by a master tech.  Upgraded from a Dual deck to a Music Hall 5.2 with a 1012 Goldring Cartridge and running silver custom cables to Klipsch Forte ll.  It's a fantastic set up for a very reasonable investment.  I think I'm under $2500. 

Anyway, it was a COMPLETE SHOCK when I hooked it up and put on "Blow by Blow".  I just couldn't believe what I was missing.  I basically had to go back and re listen to all my favorite albums.  Some stuff really stood out.. other albums didn't sound as good as I would have hoped.

I could really hear how the albums were put together.  How full and dynamic something like YES SONGS sounded.. and how horribly compressed 80's Journey records sounded. 

Crime of the Century and Steely Dan Aja, agreed.. those sound amazing.  I was surprised how great Fragile sounded and "Songs from the Wood"

The thing that was most obvious was that I could really feel the energy of the record so much more than on CD.  Some of the early Crimson stuff might not be stellar in recording sheen, but I could feel those records and songs in such a different way.  For instance "I Talk to the Wind" just became an entirely different song.  The quiet parts being so soft, I could really feel what was going on.. not just hear it.  It's the feeling that gets lost digitally. 

I suppose it is like looking at a digital scan of a painting compared to viewing the original in person.  To a lot of people, it wouldn't make a difference, but to an artist it would be a world of difference.  Reminds me a bit of reading "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance".  The quality thing.  That experience has to come from both sides of the equation.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2014 at 01:14
^ Welcome to the Vinyl thread.....good to have another analog lover around.
Its all about the experience and sinking deep into the grooves!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2014 at 11:10
A trip to the fair, and a lot of prog was there (I hadn't much money though) LOL

Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 19:59
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

A trip to the fair, and a lot of prog was there (I hadn't much money though) LOL

Thanks for the reminder. I am in the middle of the Starless & Bible Black sonic heaven. Haven't gotten to Fracture yet, but when I am done with it, I'll pull out the sweet and gentle Renaissance :)
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 10:25
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Nice haul Sam! I don't have that Camel album....
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 12:52
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

Thanks for the reminder. I am in the middle of the Starless & Bible Black sonic heaven. Haven't gotten to Fracture yet, but when I am done with it, I'll pull out the sweet and gentle Renaissance :)

You're welcome Tongue
Thanks for reminding me of Starless as well, I haven't listened to that one in a while Smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 13:07

Nice haul Sam! I don't have that Camel album....

Thanks! I prefer the live version to the studio version, but since its not easy to find Camel albums here, I'm happy with it Smile

Curiously, this one has a considerable scratch that I didn't see when I bought it, but it works perfectly. The Nursery Cryme vinyl don't have any visible damage but it crackles a lot in some high volume parts Ermm
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 13:20
Gee, some fine choices in your LP additions there, Sam! Those were some of the earliest titles I ever bought, and they're all still so dear to me!

Have you seen the alternate cover of `Tales' with Alan Parsons himself on the front cover?! Ohh, it is so cool!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 312>