Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 10:57
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Yes this remix/remastered version does wonders for the senses, Steven Wilson did an excellent job on the digital version and this vinyl version is brilliant.
Check your anti-skate setting, if you have one, on your TT...you might be riding hard on one groove wall if you are hearing a lot of echo. The standard setting would be the same number as your tracking weight, but play with the AS setting.

I don't see anything about anti-skate in the service manual, and the TT says that the tracking force and anti-skate are adjusted from the factory, so I think I can't change anything about that.
I should get some outer sleeves to protect the LP, though. What sleeves do you use? Almost all my LP's had sleeves when I bought them, so I never bought sleeves.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 12:29
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Yes this remix/remastered version does wonders for the senses, Steven Wilson did an excellent job on the digital version and this vinyl version is brilliant.
Check your anti-skate setting, if you have one, on your TT...you might be riding hard on one groove wall if you are hearing a lot of echo. The standard setting would be the same number as your tracking weight, but play with the AS setting.

I don't see anything about anti-skate in the service manual, and the TT says that the tracking force and anti-skate are adjusted from the factory, so I think I can't change anything about that.
I should get some outer sleeves to protect the LP, though. What sleeves do you use? Almost all my LP's had sleeves when I bought them, so I never bought sleeves.

You should be able to adjust tracking weight.....what make/model table do you have? I get my outer sleeves from my local record store, he sells them in packs of 50. They are SleeveCity brand, you can buy them direct if you can't find them at a store

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 12:46

You should be able to adjust tracking weight.....what make/model table do you have? I get my outer sleeves from my local record store, he sells them in packs of 50. They are SleeveCity brand, you can buy them direct if you can't find them at a store

I read in some forums that it's not adjustable, like this one with the same TT:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-192411.html

It's strange, I can only find records and TT's for sale on local stores, and this is an essencial thing. Thanks for the link.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 13:00
So on the end of the tonearm you have no dial with numbers on it like this? The small dial facing up is the anti-skate adjustment......

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 13:14

No, it hasn't anything like that one. It also says the value it is adjusted to.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 13:49
Ahh snap! I've been taking some quick snapshots of my two for one Kraftwerk LPs (The debut and ll), but the size of the files are always too big to squeeze into PAs picture thingy. Nuts, I was looking forward to bragging about the lovely red and green vinylOuch
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 14:02

Ok....play on!!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 14:06
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Ahh snap! I've been taking some quick snapshots of my two for one Kraftwerk LPs (The debut and ll), but the size of the files are always too big to squeeze into PAs picture thingy. Nuts, I was looking forward to bragging about the lovely red and green vinylOuch

I use photobucket to hold all my pictures, it creates a sharelink for websites. I save my pictures as .jpg to 800x600 using MS Office Picture Manager, then upload them to photobucket.

Would love to see those albums!!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 14:13
I have Microsoft Picture Manager on my laptop actually. 
Trying very hard to communicate with it as we speakGeek 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 14:22

I have Microsoft Picture Manager on my laptop actually. 
Trying very hard to communicate with it as we speakGeek 

Click Edit Pictures
Right side, click Resize
Under Resize Settings, click Predefined wxh, dropdown list click Document-Small 800x600
Click OK

That's my process....

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 14:26
Yeah...I just did that, but I think it's another "size" that's the problem. It's 1.37 MB and the site only allows 1. 
Sorry but I am a buffoon when it comes to something like thisEmbarrassed

Edited by Guldbamsen - October 22 2014 at 14:26

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 14:35

Ok....play on!!

I think I'm getting more convinced in buying a new TT someday Tongue

Edited by Meltdowner - October 22 2014 at 14:35
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 14:48

Yeah...I just did that, but I think it's another "size" that's the problem. It's 1.37 MB and the site only allows 1. 
Sorry but I am a buffoon when it comes to something like thisEmbarrassed

No worries...we will get it. If your original pic is a 1.37MB size yea that is too big for almost any website. I would not even use 1MB pic, that is why I resize them to 800x600.

Once you do that process I detailed make sure and hit SAVE button on MS Office Picture Manager...That should do it for you.
Then you can upload to photobucket or any photo storage site...I used the PA storage/Member Control panel option but it has issues with IE browser.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 14:53

Ok....play on!!

I think I'm getting more convinced in buying a new TT someday Tongue

When ready you can sell your current TT and buy a pretty good one for about US$500 new or find a higher up Technics model used for about the same....Vintage TT like Dual, Thorens and even some Technics command some high prices online. My only problem with used TT is unless you can inspect it before purchasing, you have no idea of working condition...and shipping them is a PITA!!

I will always buy new for a TT....Christmas is around the corner Clap Big smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 16:39
I though about buying new too. I saw some cool TT's from Rega and Pro-ject the other day on a local store, although I don't know much about technical details. I wouldn't sell my current TT though: too much sentimental value Smile
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 19:06

The absence of these adjustments likely means that your TT used p-mount cartridges, which have to be of a certain type/weight (otherwise you'd never get the tracking force right). You can't adjust p-mount cartridge in any way; it's literally plug-and-play (I know, I know .. adapters).  

In a way, a fully "factory adjusted" TT may be a blessing, if you want to spend your time enjoying the music rather than tinkering with overhang, azimuth and such. I had a TT like yours, and it was just fine for the purpose.  You'll probably be OK. Audiophiles will tell you otherwise. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 19:16

So on the end of the tonearm you have no dial with numbers on it like this? The small dial facing up is the anti-skate adjustment......

I see you also got yourself the tone arm height adjustment thingy as well. Also, I can see the lifter to the left of the arm, but no lever; is it automatic?   

Also, what's she called? 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 20:07
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

I see you also got yourself the tone arm height adjustment thingy as well. Also, I can see the lifter to the left of the arm, but no lever; is it automatic?   
Also, what's she called? 

Hey Argo
That is not my TT, just a pic off the internet. My table is called a Music Hall mmf-7.1 and she is lovely, finished in a high-gloss piano black LOL

Here she is...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 06:45
I was wondering what role the "Turntable Aesthetics" plays in the overall vinyl experience. 

Many people prefer minimalistic, post-industrial boutique turntables. I must say the one that Catcher10 has is an eye candy for real Thumbs Up . But I am finding so much elegance and in those early Technics 1200 era design cues as well. 

Should I start a poll about what TT designs everyone prefers? 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 07:03
I know terrible picture, but this effectively proves that I can post pictures (and that I have two absolutely awesome Kraftwerk LPs of courseTongue)

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 312>