Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 09:00
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

Should I start a poll about what TT designs everyone prefers? 

You should. Smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 09:03
Nice vinyls and picture David, it almost looks like the wave was projected from your eye Tongue
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 10:28
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I know terrible picture, but this effectively proves that I can post pictures (and that I have two absolutely awesome Kraftwerk LPs of courseTongue)

Sweeeet!! Love the green.....welcome to our little club Smile
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 10:56
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

I was wondering what role the "Turntable Aesthetics" plays in the overall vinyl experience. 

Many people prefer minimalistic, post-industrial boutique turntables. I must say the one that Catcher10 has is an eye candy for real Thumbs Up . But I am finding so much elegance and in those early Technics 1200 era design cues as well. 

Should I start a poll about what TT designs everyone prefers? 

Probably little response to a poll of that nature...but you can try. Most here on PA are digital, CD, online streaming or downloaded file listeners, which is perfectly fine!! Although since this is a Vinyl thread..go for it.

I love the look of Technics tables, always have. Older Denon TT are also very sleek and stylish especially the ones with the large wooden plinth finished in cherry or mahogany. Then you have the very plain, no frills Rega TT.
I love the look of Music Hall tables especially when you get above the mmf-5, the dual plinth design and further up the chain the decoupled motor.....all look very cool.

Lets face it, TT are visually very appealing...just seeing the platter spinning, the tonearm moving and reproducing beautiful sounds to go along with it, makes for a wonderful engaging musical listening experience.....And add in some colored vinyl like David is sweet!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 11:34
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Nice vinyls and picture David, it almost looks like the wave was projected from your eye Tongue

Would have been better had he moved up a bit and looked like a sneeze effect LOL
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 11:36
Thanks you guys. 

I'm definitely feeling the loveBig smile 
I gotta say though most of my LPs are bought second hand. It's only rarely I pick up a brand new printing, although the German Brain label is responsible for at least 30 brand new vinyls on my shelfBig smile
Also got an original 1969 Brit pressing of The Softs vol ll that I'm very attached to. Plays like a dream. Something so incredibly warm and intimate about it that somehow escapes the cd version my friend has, and I don't even buy into the Analogue vs. Digital discussion - I have plenty of albums in both medias, but this is one of the few instances where I really feel there is a huge difference in quality.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 11:48

Thanks you guys. 

I gotta say though most of my LPs are bought second hand. It's only rarely I pick up a brand new printing, although the German Brain label is responsible for at least 30 brand new vinyls on my shelfBig smile
Also got an original 1969 Brit pressing of The Softs vol ll that I'm very attached to. Plays like a dream. Something so incredibly warm and intimate about it that somehow escapes the cd version my friend has, and I don't even buy into the Analogue vs. Digital discussion - I have plenty of albums in both medias, but this is one of the few instances where I really feel there is a huge difference in quality.

We do not want to get into the Analog/Digital debate...too subjective, this thread is all about celebrating our love and enjoyment of vinyl/analog experience. I think when Chris started it, we wanted it to be welcoming and warm Big smile

Brain does an excellent job on vinyl...I finally found Soft Machine Third couple months ago, something about music recorded on reel to reel tape 16-24 track mix Clap

Its a warm blanket in winter, wrapping you up as you sink into the sofa and sit back and watch it spin...Don't be a stranger David

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 12:10
With NEU! you sorta have to go in new directions, so I thought I'd flip this baby over in order to get some real confusion going. I'm not entirely sure what happened with the quality, looks like a dream.

and yes that's a very very old Dead Kennedys Holiday In Cambodia shirt with holes as big as dinner plates in it, but I could never get myself persuaded into throwing it away. 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 12:19
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Thanks you guys. 

We do not want to get into the Analog/Digital debate...too subjective, this thread is all about celebrating our love and enjoyment of vinyl/analog experience. I think when Chris started it, we wanted it to be welcoming and warm Big smile

Brain does an excellent job on vinyl...I finally found Soft Machine Third couple months ago, something about music recorded on reel to reel tape 16-24 track mix Clap

Its a warm blanket in winter, wrapping you up as you sink into the sofa and sit back and watch it spin...Don't be a stranger David

I'll be sure to pop around from time to timeSmile I already love this thread. 

I've stumbled over Third a couple of times, but it has always been too pricey for my tastes. As a student I can't afford spending 400 kr (70 US dollars) on a double album, when I can get at least 4 other LPs for that kind of dough + I already own the cd, so it's not something I desperately need
What I do need is for Steven Wilson to start reissuing the old, let's just call them, "left-field" PT recordings from the 90s on vinyl. I'm talking Metanoia, Voyage 34 and Transmission IV dammit!!!!!!

- Douglas Adams
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 12:20
^ Awesome!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 12:25

Thanks you guys. 

I'll be sure to pop around from time to timeSmile I already love this thread. 

I've stumbled over Third a couple of times, but it has always been too pricey for my tastes. As a student I can't afford spending 400 kr (70 US dollars) on a double album, when I can get at least 4 other LPs for that kind of dough + I already own the cd, so it's not something I desperately need
What I do need is for Steven Wilson to start reissuing the old, let's just call them, "left-field" PT recordings from the 90s on vinyl. I'm talking Metanoia, Voyage 34 and Transmission IV dammit!!!!!!

Voyage 34 has been out on vinyl.....check Kscope website or other like Soundstage Direct and Music Direct. I only paid US$16.00 for Third, its probably in VG+/VG condition and after a good scrubbing it sounds pretty nice.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 12:27
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 12:38

Check here David

Thanks man, although I probably shouldn't thank you. I've promised myself to cut back on all the music shopping, and this is just another new way for me to do the exact opposite of thatLOL 
Anyway, I tend to buy my vinyl from shops, mostly because I prefer the good old hands-on-flipping-through-stacks-of-records ritualBig smile

I've only ever bought two LPs online actually. Some German dealer if I remember correctly.

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 13:15

Check here David

The fourth track is longer than the CD version, cool! I would really like to have the original 'Up the Downstair' LP, but those are quite expensive Ermm
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 13:25
Like with Third I also have the cd version of Voyage 34, but still I'd really like to get the vinylWacko

Edited by Guldbamsen - October 24 2014 at 13:26

- Douglas Adams
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 16:38

Check here David

Thanks man, although I probably shouldn't thank you. I've promised myself to cut back on all the music shopping, and this is just another new way for me to do the exact opposite of thatLOL 
Anyway, I tend to buy my vinyl from shops, mostly because I prefer the good old hands-on-flipping-through-stacks-of-records ritualBig smile

I've only ever bought two LPs online actually. Some German dealer if I remember correctly.

Its only money my friend..You can't take it with you! LOL There are not that many shops here in Seattle that carry new vinyl by prog rock artists, so normally I have to order them online.

There is one store in Seattle that does have a krautrock section but mainly CD's......Since these are mostly new issues I doubt you find them in the bins.

The other site I use often, as many here on PA do, is Greg Walker's Syn-Phonic Music....almost all progressive rock in CD and has a great vinyl selection....be careful and I am so sorry Big smile

Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 18:18

Lets face it, TT are visually very appealing...just seeing the platter spinning, the tonearm moving and reproducing beautiful sounds to go along with it, makes for a wonderful engaging musical listening experience

Engaging, because it feels emotionally more complete. It's fascinating to witness how the music is being "born", if you know what I mean, in a natural way .. not fabricated from a series of faceless 1s and 0s. 

Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 18:59

Like with Third I also have the cd version of Voyage 34, but still I'd really like to get the vinylWacko

It was through the afore mentioned Voyage 34 that I discovered Steven Wilson. Interestingly, I didn't like the Voyage at all, but I did get intrigued by Wilson's vision of music. I am glad I did :)

Not to change the subject, but do you know how/where I could create a poll(-like thread) to gauge what vinyl-loving members think about those mass-produced hifi/dj turntables from the Super Seventies ("Technics 1200") versus the cool contemporary designs. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 10:04
We don't have a specific area for that but I guess the general music discussions forum is as good a place as anySmile

- Douglas Adams
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 12:19

We don't have a specific area for that but I guess the general music discussions forum is as good a place as anySmile

Would not the poll in Tech Talk be the place for it? Since Tech Talk is about gear and such.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 312>