Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2014 at 18:21
^ That's why I don't listen to recent prog much. At least in the 70's they had to choose the best material and not stretch the songs much to fit on the LP, unless we're talking about double LP's: I don't think there's any of those that I really like Ermm
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2014 at 19:38
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ That's why I don't listen to recent prog much. At least in the 70's they had to choose the best material and not stretch the songs much to fit on the LP, unless we're talking about double LP's: I don't think there's any of those that I really like Ermm

Jokes aside, excessively long albums may well be one of the overlooked reasons why newer prog albums haven't ever made it into the Top 20. Remarkably, the only CD-era album in the Top 20 is Hybris, which happens to be 45 minutes long. 

I love FOABP, but listening to it in its entirety is work, not fun. I usually play Side B, followed by Side D .. about 50 minutes in total :)

(if listening to the FOABP is work, then wading through the Topographic Oceans is forced labor)

There is such thing as attention span. When a certain time mark is reached, your brain either (1) Starts ignoring sensory inputs, or (2) Forces itself to continue, triggering the "imminent overload" alarm. Chances are you'll remember the album as boring, tedious and irritating. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 06:43
^ I listen to FOABP much more easily than 'The Incident': it's lenghtier and less interesting.

I usually listen to double LP's while I'm doing something: I was at work the last time I listened to Topographic, The Lamb and Zeit Tongue

I think my brain works like that too, I experienced those the last time I listened to Relayer, I seem to only really like Sound Chaser from this album.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 10:23
With the CD versions of The Incident and Topographic....I agree, I can easily start ignoring the music and details...Even with CDs like TAAB and Tubular Bells, one loooooong song can get boring.

With my vinyl versions I am much more engaged, I have to get up every 22min or so and flip, so my brain stays focused and my experience is much more enjoyable.

Although I am more apt to listen to LP1 of Topographic only, its a wonderful album but the lyrics are just way to out there to keep me interested. I read the lyric sheet all the time and find my mind wandering, thinking how many bowls of hash these guys smoked to come up with this stuff!! LOL
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 11:24
Friend of mine in New Orleans just sent me this video of the W hotel in French Quarter....let me know what you see.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 13:04
^^ exactly and exactly

Not to upset anybody, but TAAB gets boring even on vinyl Wacko

I know that The Incident is not the most popular PT album, but it's exceptionally well made and turned out to be very even as far as quality ..  there is nothing on it I actively dislike, which is a huge plus.  
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 17:21
I don't have any problem with The Incident, its a concept album and you have to listen to it in that way...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 17:29
^ You're not the only one get's bored by TAAB, I think Aqualung is much better.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 17:57
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Friend of mine in New Orleans just sent me this video of the W hotel in French Quarter....let me know what you see.

I don't know .. a quadruple-plinth, three-motor Rega with a carbon fiber arm?

^ You're not the only one get's bored by TAAB, I think Aqualung is much better.

Too much of early Genesis can also be quite challenging to sit through :)

Feels so good to rant against the dear leaders of the PA Top 10 LOL

Edited by Argonaught - October 29 2014 at 18:12
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 18:28
I don't think it is ranting....This whole website is SUBJECTIVE. You think it is 5stars, he thinks it is 1star, and everything in between....Everything is fair game in my book.

For me Aqualung is the best JT ever recorded....TAAB is probably next...But again in music what is "better"?

And also, there are no leaders in PA, only ones that think they are the leaders! LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 07:22
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

Too much of early Genesis can also be quite challenging to sit through :)
50 minutes is my limit Tongue

Went on a short trip to Spain and brought some souvenirs. Wink
'Dust in the wind' written in spanish in the cover cracks me up LOL
They also had a great selection of brand new Krautrock LP's, but didn't had enough for one Tongue

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 08:18
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

And also, there are no leaders in PA, only ones that think they are the leaders! LOL

Hey, you missed an important identifier: "dear". You know, as in the Dear Leaders of North Korea: the narrow circle of people whose position at the top hasn't been contested :)

... waiting for new bands and albums to get there ... 

[QUOTE=Meltdowner]
'Dust in the wind' written in spanish in the cover cracks me up LOL
Tongue[QUOTE]

Why, because Viento is misspelled? Should be Vento? 

Also, if I had to guess, I'd say that "polvo" sounds more like "powder" .. does the Spanish language use the same word for powder and dust, or it's just the translator's artistic license? 

Edited by Argonaught - October 31 2014 at 08:28
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 08:36
^ No, it's well written, but normally the song names are not translated. They use the same word for those two, in portuguese as well.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 10:55
It is spelled right....I speak fluent Spanish, I would love an album like that. But yes meltdowner is right, normally all the songs are in English...Is that a sticker or actually printed on the cover?

Nice finds...I don't have either one of those on vinyl.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 12:12
^ It's printed on the cover.

Thanks! I followed the criteria "What can't I find in my country" to choose and ELP was my choice since it's not easy to find early prog here; my copy of KC's Lizard is also spanish Smile

Edited by Meltdowner - October 31 2014 at 12:49
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 16:58

my copy of KC's Lizard is also spanish Smile

Lagarto, for real? 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 17:37
^ It's a spanish pressing, I don't think any country translates anything on the album. South America has an alternative cover though. I said that because I don't think it was available here when it was released.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 17:59
Regarding the Hotel ad - I saw a turntable but I couldn't tell what LP was on it .....

Edited by Tom Ozric - October 31 2014 at 18:01
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 18:42
Quick trip to my local record store, yielded this in the bin as I was flipping. The remix by Steven Wilson, includes a wonderful 12 page booklet with great concert photos in excellent detail. The story behind A Passion Play, excerpt from Steven Wilson and the ballerina.

The SQ you ask? Are you kidding me!! Its a Steven Wilson remix from the original recording tapes, its warm and clean with amazing detail of instruments and better sound stage than my original vinyl and CD versions. Also the sibilance is totally gone on the Hare/Spectacles Side 2, all the Ssss are nice and natural.

I have a new appreciation for this classic, controversial album...still boggles my mind that this album was #1 on Billboard 200 for over a week in the US in 1973.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 19:54
You all made me feel greedy. Tomorrow I am going to raid the flea market like there is not tomorrow. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 312>