Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3940414243 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2014 at 14:52
^ I will certainly not Smile
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2014 at 14:57
Ordered this from Greg W last week, I have been meaning to get it and he got some copies at a good price. I know it is not the most loved Porcupine Tree album, as it has a lot more pop oriented music, but I still kinda like it.
Plus Porcupine Tree is an artist I don't mind collecting since a lot of the vinyl is sought after and holds value very well, based on Discogs.

The quality of the packaging is the usual very sturdy heavy feel gatefold cover. The inner sleeves are also heavy with pictures, the lyrics are inside the gatefold.
The vinyl press quality is the usual excellent quality from Kscope made in EU, which then translates the excellent mixing job to vinyl giving wonderful sound reproduction. Porcupine Tree is just made to be played on a turntable, the sounds are so warm, lush midrange and bass that you can feel....It's always a wonderful experience to sit down and listen to Porcupine Tree vinyl.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2014 at 16:30
Very nice album! Not their best but I return to this one more often than 'In Absentia' and their next albums, I'm generally not much into the Metal genre. 'Stop Swimming' is kind of a weak closer in my opinion, though. Ermm
It's funny that there's a CD on the LP cover, don't you think? Tongue
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2014 at 18:16
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I know, right? They speak like it's their most sh**tiest release, althought each fan attributes this title to a different album (to me it's The Final Cut) Tongue.

Thou speakest wisely

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2014 at 23:52
Love the nifty band-only version on the Ohm Suite Ohm recording. That part Mother Fore just blows me away with all their oohing and aahing, and they get lost in it for quite a while.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 11:29

Very nice album! Not their best but I return to this one more often than 'In Absentia' and their next albums, I'm generally not much into the Metal genre. 'Stop Swimming' is kind of a weak closer in my opinion, though. Ermm
It's funny that there's a CD on the LP cover, don't you think? Tongue

Its a strange cover for sure.....
Daysbetween View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daysbetween Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 17:02
Currently listening to an oldie - still love 'Crown of Thorns' from this album which was always superb live.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 17:35
An interesting (and depressive) article about people's listening habits and the glorification of vinyl, although they compared it with low quality digital music and not with high definition: that would be more interesting. Ermm
http://mic.com/articles/104250/what-the-internet-has-done-to-your-love-of-music
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 19:30
Originally posted by Daysbetween Daysbetween wrote:

Currently listening to an oldie - still love 'Crown of Thorns' from this album which was always superb live.

Sweet!! Cover looks in excellent condition....
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 19:34

An interesting (and depressive) article about people's listening habits and the glorification of vinyl, although they compared it with low quality digital music and not with high definition: that would be more interesting. Ermm
http://mic.com/articles/104250/what-the-internet-has-done-to-your-love-of-music

Yup read that article the other day.....For me the article speaks to the magic, or lack of with digital files, of sitting down and enjoying a pc of music.
Just like David Gilmour stated about TER, you need to listen to the whole album and take it all in......

Just like this guy is doing LOL

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2014 at 03:50
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

For me the article speaks to the magic, or lack of with digital files, of sitting down and enjoying a pc of music. Just like David Gilmour stated about TER, you need to listen to the whole album and take it all in...... 

Does anyone see a parallel between digital music and instant coffee?

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2014 at 03:52
Originally posted by Daysbetween Daysbetween wrote:

Is this a real aloe cactus in the background or a picture? (or a digital oneGeek?)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2014 at 10:11
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Yup read that article the other day.....For me the article speaks to the magic, or lack of with digital files, of sitting down and enjoying a pc of music.
Just like David Gilmour stated about TER, you need to listen to the whole album and take it all in......

Just like this guy is doing LOL

I see it as two different experiences: I use Spotify while I'm working on the PC to have a general idea of music I don't know and then get the real thing if I like it. The connection can be made when I'm listening comfortably at home Wink
But sure, a lot of people are satisfied just by listening low-quality music on 5€ earphones and judge people that buy music, but you can't argue about quality with those people Ermm
I hope the physical formats don't disappear, it's impossible to form a connection with a downloaded file Confused

I never heard that PT album but the cover is awesome Thumbs Up

Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

Does anyone see a parallel between digital music and instant coffee?

Great... now I need another coffee LOL
I can think of a lot of Punk songs about this kind of society Tongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2014 at 10:48
Also, this being a vinyl thread, Mr. Catcher10 needs to report to the public what kind of a stylus is playing  the PT album .. different color from what we saw before. 

At some point in the past I almost bought this album (don't remember the title, but it was described as a collection of B-sides from the 1990s Wilson's endeavors.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2014 at 10:54
^ http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=1478

They say it's mostly from their early music, I will certainly like this one Smile
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawkwise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2014 at 11:47
Arrived yesterday , Best Gong albums since Gazouse ?  i would say so loving it !!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2014 at 11:52
Really, is it that good? Big smile
Even better than Expresso II?
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawkwise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2014 at 12:06
yepp . im loving it !!   

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2014 at 12:19
Nice Thumbs Up
I was so enthusiasmed about the new Floyd release that I forgot about this one Tongue
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2014 at 16:20
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

Also, this being a vinyl thread, Mr. Catcher10 needs to report to the public what kind of a stylus is playing  the PT album .. different color from what we saw before. 

At some point in the past I almost bought this album (don't remember the title, but it was described as a collection of B-sides from the 1990s Wilson's endeavors.

Correct B sides, but of PT recordings not SW recordings......Album is called "Recordings", very much in the vein of Signify and Up the Downstair, ambient Pink Floydian stuff...its great music.

That cartridge is a Nagaoka MP-200, I love Nag carts. Probably the best MM cartridge for the money, they are very warm carts and surface noise killers as well as insanely accurate trackers.

My current cartridge is a Audio Technica ATOC9ML/II which is a MC cartridge.

Report complete Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3940414243 312>