Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 09:21
Only know Jeff Beck from those. Is that Classical Disco album really what it really says? Tongue
How are the other albums like?
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 11:04
Top row: I have only played O’Lyn; she is on the Yamaha contraption that I posted the picture of in another thread. A couple of well-loved jazz-, classical and pop themes (easy listening stuff, good fo’ ya).

Middle Row:

The Klaatu thing on the left is utter caca, going to the basement. Next to it is a collection of kick-ass swing tunes from 1947, “electronically re-recorded to simulate stereo”. Pretty imperssive stuff .. not yer docile pre-War swing; at that time, jazz was ready to shift into the bebop mode.

The one with a lady in red, “The Pops (= Boston Pops Orchestra) Goes Latin”, sporting the inevitable 1960s “Latin” menu: Tijuana Taxi, Desafinado, Manha De Carnival etc. on Side A and a “Latin American Symphonette” on Side B, which is like a sampler of various rhythms (rumba, conga, tango etc). Not bad.

Bottom Row:

Haven’t gotten to the green one yet. Second from the left: Laurindo Almeida playing Tchaikovsky, Ravel, Chopin and Debussy on the Spanish guitar. Absolutely perfect. High quality, never played 50+ year old record .. wow, wow and another time – wow.  

Soft Space: proper electric fusion. Very well written and played, but derivative. Good enough for $0.50. 

On the right: an early Weather Report album, with the lame title that I forget 0.47 seconds after looking at it. Very solid, but non-crazy fusion from the early 1970s.   

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 11:28
Lots of lovely music I see. That Laurindo Almeida album seems very interesting.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 11:39
^ Verily so. 

But that Classical Disco album, which I have just played 10-15 minutes of, is caca merdissima. 

Reminds me of an old joke about a smart, but unattractive man who married a stupid, but beautiful woman, and had a child who turned out to be as dumb as the mommy and as ugly as the daddy.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 12:06
LOL

The album picks aren't always fortunate. You have now something to play flying disc or to get rid of zombies LOL

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 13:37
TALESPINNIN' - My utter fave Weather Report record.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 14:57
Here are my records. The red one on display at the top is "Dante's Disneyland Inferno" by the Sun City Girls.

My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 15:07
Wow, awesome collection you have there Steve!
Is that a Black Flag record on the right?
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 15:09
Indeed it is - SST 001 Nervous Breakdown single. SST 002 is next to it, the Minutemen's Paranoid Time EP.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 15:24
Nice Thumbs Up
Daysbetween View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daysbetween Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 17:00
Nice and tidy collection HolyMoly. How many are there, 1000?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 17:56
The strangest thing happened today: I was listening to my new copy of KC's ITCOTCK and the first time I was annoyed by the constant post-echo throughout the record, especially on Moonchild. This time no echo at all, only sweet silence on Moonchild Approve
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 18:44
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Here are my records. The red one on display at the top is "Dante's Disneyland Inferno" by the Sun City Girls.

very nice!!! Love the "used" feelApprove many hours of pleasure.
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 19:00
Fifteen pigeon holes, I am guessing 50-60 records in each (counting double LPs as 2x records), so we are looking at 800-900 of them. I wonder how they are arranged, in what order - ABC, by genre, by frequency of use etc? 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 19:02
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I tend to agree. The next one chronologically, Black Market is a little thinner, and the one with a mountain-size fedora or something on the front cover a disappointment, especially Side A, 3 stars maybe. 

Edited by Argonaught - November 23 2014 at 21:59
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 21:20
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Super nice Steve...I have about half of that left, most of mine have been lost in several house moves over the past 20yrs Cry....I am slowly building back up. But its funny, I am being more selective now in what I buy, before it was just buy it....Now I am taking a bit more thought in my purchases, since they cost more today and not much is on vinyl, but getting better.

Will be going to Seattle within a few weeks to do some vinyl shopping as that is what I told my wife I wanted...Hoping for a good score, we'll see.

Is that an Ikea Expedit?
Permy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Permy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 21:52
Who here lives in Ontario and has prog/fusion/folk lps up for trade?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 22:29
Originally posted by Permy Permy wrote:

Who here lives in Ontario and has prog/fusion/folk lps up for trade?

Welcome Permy to our vinyl thread......are you looking for info on a used record store that trades or an actual PA member?
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 23:41
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I tend to agree. The next one chronologically, Black Market is a little thinner, and the one with a mountain-size fedora or something on the front cover a disappointment, especially Side A, 3 stars maybe. 

Mmmmm, yeah, Heavy Weather. Has a couple of nice tracks but indeed, 3 stars max. 4 for Black Market. And I didn't like the first few WR albums, only from Mysterious Traveller onwards to Domino Theory.
Permy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Permy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 07:32
Actual PA member to trade lps with.

And I'm not talking YES,Genesis ,Jethro tull.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445 312>