Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4243444546 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 08:04
Thanks for the nice comments, all. :)
To answer some of the questions, my spreadsheet lists 1,250 titles on LP (versus about double that amount on CD).  They are arranged alphabetically by artist, with all genres mixed together.  And yes Jose, that is an IKEA Expedit. Looks like I may need to get another one soon.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 08:54
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Thanks for the nice comments, all. :)
To answer some of the questions, my spreadsheet lists 1,250 titles on LP (versus about double that amount on CD).  They are arranged alphabetically by artist, with all genres mixed together.  And yes Jose, that is an IKEA Expedit. Looks like I may need to get another one soon.

Kewl! Let me know if you ever interested in selling any of the 12" black discs...You can keep all the small silver ones Big smile
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 09:50
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

my spreadsheet lists 1,250 titles on LP (versus about double that amount on CD).  They are arranged alphabetically by artist, with all genres mixed together.  
Way to go!

This also preempts my next question as to how you catalog them. 

I only catalog as "the collection" the records and CD's (separately, of course!) that are in more or less regular use, which would be about 300 and 100 pieces respectively. But even counting the out-of-use records and CD's I can't have more than 600-700 albums. 

I am also building a library of cassettes in an attempt to prolong the life of precious records, and to make compilations, which is what folks did "back in the day". 

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 09:58
You just blew my mind SteveShocked
Damn I need to get some more vinyl (is what my head told me when I saw that pic - I can't really afford any atm)!!!

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 10:49
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Damn I need to get some more vinyl (is what my head told me when I saw that pic - I can't really afford any atm)!!! 

For a dozen bucks you could get a few milk crates of Linda Ronstadt and Barry Manilow records from our flea market Thumbs Up . The shipping costs may be prohibitively high, though. 
Daysbetween View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daysbetween Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 14:23
Opted for the band signed print edition with black vinyls when I pre-ordered rather than the limited colour vinyls.
Permy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Permy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 15:44
Another "vinyls" guy.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 17:56
Originally posted by Daysbetween Daysbetween wrote:

Opted for the band signed print edition with black vinyls when I pre-ordered rather than the limited colour vinyls.

Nice!!....I like it when band signed copies are available. Neal Morse signed my copy of V when it came out on vinyl.

What label is this on?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 20:47
Totally forgot I pre-ordered these two, showed up in my mailbox today. Both multi-color splatter color vinyl editions, limited edition and numbered.

Giving a spin to Awake, and the mix seems a bit different than my silver small plastic version, Brookvale Records site does say remastered for vinyl, will need to dig deeper but LP1/Side 1 sounds really nice. The mix is very good, what I like is the volume level is not too high, some previous vinyl like ADToE and DT12 are too loud in spots, which tells me all they did was took the digital file and transferred to vinyl, no mix for vinyl....Cheap.

Yea this is much better, Caught In A Web is really nice, really sounds like it was mixed and pressed in the 70's.

Sweet......
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 23:53
How attractive are these new inventions - Spatter Vinyls ?? Just add more excitement to the whole listening experience.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 05:42
A rhetoric question: Am I the only one in this thread who plays records with the dust cover on- and down? 

One of the nice things about colored vinyl is that scuffs and surface scratches are a lot less visible ..  makes you worry less Approve

Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 07:09
I have an old Thorens - Got it years ago at a hock shop - there was no dust cover.
but back when I was a kid with a previous turntable - I always closed the cover
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 11:10
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

A rhetoric question: Am I the only one in this thread who plays records with the dust cover on- and down? 

One of the nice things about colored vinyl is that scuffs and surface scratches are a lot less visible ..  makes you worry less Approve

Depends on your setup.....But your dust cover can act like a pickup for vibrations and transmit them to your cartridge and create distortion and even un-wanted woofer movement, which consumes a lot of power/watts. I keep mine off during play for this reason just to make sure, plus convenience to not have to raise up all the time, just easier.

Best thing is to just trial it and listen for any improvement...or nothing. Furrow browed audiophile extremists gaff at the thought of spinning with a dust cover on LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daysbetween Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 13:13
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by Daysbetween Daysbetween wrote:

Nice!!....I like it when band signed copies are available. Neal Morse signed my copy of V when it came out on vinyl.

What label is this on?

Roadrunner Records
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daysbetween Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 13:15

A lot of new tt's don't even have a dustcover as standard anymore. Mine does but I only have it attached when not in use.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daysbetween Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 13:18
Playing an oldie first tonight which is an original UK red Elektra. Love the sound of the bass on this album.

Edited by Daysbetween - November 25 2014 at 13:18
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 13:49
^ That must be awesome on vinyl. I have the mini LP boxset and Absolutely Live was the first LP I bought Smile
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 13:53
Those "splatter color" Dream Theater albums look amazing. 

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 13:55

I always put my dust cover down.  It never really occurred to me to do otherwise.  I must think it would otherwise be covered in dust within minutes.  I also screw the top back on my pop bottle after every sip, but that's just a nervous habit.

Edited by HolyMoly - November 25 2014 at 13:56

-Kehlog Albran
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 14:09
I don't have the kind of ear that would be able to hear the difference if the cover was down or up..
thank god!  :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4243444546 312>