Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5354555657 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 05:49
36 things and they didn't even talked about sound quality Wink
http://www.buzzfeed.com/perpetua/things-vinyl-collectors-love#.ogxgJ0rMvz
I didn't understand nº 25 though
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 06:47
^ Up to #4 it was interesting:
  1. That's where used records always have clicks and pops, which ruins quiet passages :(

2. The turquoise thing on the left is a device for smoothing out the grooves

3. This is a demo rig for teaching “runaway positive feedback” to physics' students

4. I like that mermaid picture at 2 o'clock. There must be an Appalachian-style tackle, lure and gun pawn outfit behind the vinyl shop.   

After which the list became "too cute", or I just ran out of my attention span :) 
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 07:00
Point 25 - ........(although not anymore for me......)
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 11:38
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

36 things and they didn't even talked about sound quality Wink
http://www.buzzfeed.com/perpetua/things-vinyl-collectors-love#.ogxgJ0rMvz
I didn't understand nº 25 though

Gatefold is a multi-use tool....kinda like a Swiss Army Knife LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 12:03
^ you just gave me an idea: I should attempt building an equivalent of a card house from gatefolds jackets. If I have enough decommissioned albums in the basement. 
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 15:33
You can even fan yourself with one on a hot day....now that's what I call 'cool' ......
Just visited Bleeker St. Records and passed up Clockwork Angels for a copy of Mastodon's Once More 'Round The Sun LP. Hope it's good but I'm on hols and have to wait a few weeks yet. Got some other bits and pieces, of note - Procol Harum's Shine On Brightly, and a George Harrison album of electronic music - just him and a Moog synth in 1968.........
Oh, a live dbl by Styx, and Nicky Hopkins' first album called Jamming With Edward........
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 15:48
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

You can even fan yourself with one on a hot day....now that's what I call 'cool' ......
Just visited Bleeker St. Records and passed up Clockwork Angels for a copy of Mastodon's Once More 'Round The Sun LP. Hope it's good but I'm on hols and have to wait a few weeks yet. Got some other bits and pieces, of note - Procol Harum's Shine On Brightly, and a George Harrison album of electronic music - just him and a Moog synth in 1968.........
Oh, a live dbl by Styx, and Nicky Hopkins' first album called Jamming With Edward........

Cool haul....I am sure the Clockwork Angels will still be there, you can go back and get it. I passed up a bunch of Procol Harum, I am not a fan. That Styx dbl live is a good one....
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 16:32
One of the best gatefolds I own......

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 16:42

Male bonding ...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 16:44
A winsom smile that opens doors, cheers people's hearts and turns squirrel poop into marshmallows: 

Edited by Argonaught - December 20 2014 at 16:45
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 17:05
Confused
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 17:11
Hadn't really listened to this much before but it's sounding nice tonight :)

_
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 17:13
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

Male bonding ...
the title track is actually quite good.

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 17:21
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

_

Everything sounds better at night..have you notices that? One evening I started spinning at about 8pm and stopped at 4am, the wife was out of town with the kids....It sounded so good I just kept going. Thank GOD it was a Saturday and I slept Sunday till about noon.
LOL
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 17:27
Very true. Certain things also seem to sound better on Sunday morning with coffee.

Incidentally, partway into that Jane album my daughter and her sleepover friend decided they wanted to watch TV and play in my listening room. I surrendered the room like a good sport.

-Kehlog Albran
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 17:34

Very true. Certain things also seem to sound better on Sunday morning with coffee.

Incidentally, partway into that Jane album my daughter and her sleepover friend decided they wanted to watch TV and play in my listening room. I surrendered the room like a good sport.

Mine are old enough I can tell them to leave and not feel bad about it......LOL Although I do need to go upstairs and start dinner, my wife works till 6pm.....She will need food.

Edited by Catcher10 - December 20 2014 at 17:35
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 18:21

_
This one's a good listen - nothing demanding, just a straight-up German heavy-psych album. Conny Plank lifted this one up with some great engineering/production.....and a great cover to boot. Not as Prog as their other albums though.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 18:26
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Cool haul....I am sure the Clockwork Angels will still be there, you can go back and get it. I passed up a bunch of Procol Harum, I am not a fan. That Styx dbl live is a good one....
You know, for some dumb reason, the regular Aussie press of the Styx live is just a single LP with just 8 (or 9 maybe) tracks. I've never seen the dbl version back home........looks like an awesome track list, and the inner pics of the band in action look way cool - some cool shots of the Panozzo's too !! Great rhythm section for the band.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 20:01
Conny Plank was a genius......his work on Scorpions Lonesome Crow is brilliant as well as all his other projects. I laugh when I read about him not wanting to work with U2 on Joshua Tree, due to Bono.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 20:08
Y'know, Lonesome Crow is virtually a Kraut-Prog classic. Then, Fly To The Rainbow is also awesome....
Some members of Can worked with some of the U2 dudes.....
I never liked U2.......
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5354555657 312>