Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5455565758 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 20:14
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Y'know, Lonesome Crow is virtually a Kraut-Prog classic. Then, Fly To The Rainbow is also awesome....
Some members of Can worked with some of the U2 dudes.....
I never liked U2.......

I first heard Lonesome Crow around '76...and thought wow this is amazing stuff. Then looked into Scorps more and was blown away by FTtR, then began my love affair with Scorpions. I did not know about krautrock back then, but what I know now it is a krautrock classic.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 20:35
^ Searching For The Peace Of Mind......
I have the 80's issue Pic-Disc, with a Rodney Matthews design.
In Trance is bleedin' good, too.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 00:14
I have the Action titled album, on the German label Brain, great cover pic

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 01:44
http://www.analogplanet.com/content/2015-year-new-record-presses
Looking good for the future.....more capacity for our amazing media.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 03:06
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I have the Action titled album, on the German label Brain, great cover pic

I have seen this version - I thought the cover is bizarre .....
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 06:13

Wow! I didn't expect this to happen - I thought they'd just continue squeezing the last drops of life out of the existing 30-40 year old presses until there is none left, and then just leave them hanging. 

Possibly the best news in the vinyl universe? 

A couple of thoughts:

ANALOG RECORDING EQUIPMENT: Last time I looked, Otari people were still manufacturing tape recorders, but I believe those had 1/2" heads and did 2 tracks only. One may think 2 tracks is not enough for studio work, but they did just that in the 1950s and somehow it worked!

CUTTING LACQUERS AND MAKING STAMPERS

I wonder if the stampers could be made through a direct process, something like 3D printing, but that would make them digital by birth, I guess? What are the prospectives of DMM? 

Edited by Argonaught - December 21 2014 at 06:14
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 10:35

Y'know, Lonesome Crow is virtually a Kraut-Prog classic. Then, Fly To The Rainbow is also awesome....
Some members of Can worked with some of the U2 dudes.....
I never liked U2.......
Me2 LOL

I don't know any Scorpions music besides their 80's stuff, what are their krautrock albums? A friend of mine started to listen to their discography a few years ago and he was shocked by those albums, but by his description they sounded really good to me Tongue
The first concert I saw was them in 2004 and they certainly didn't play any krautrock.

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/2015-year-new-record-pressesLooking good for the future.....more capacity for our amazing media.
Awesome news! Thumbs Up
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 13:38
Scorps first 2 albums should appeal to Heavy Prog / Kraut fans - especially the debut. Kind of along the lines of Eloy's debut (with the trash-can cover), or Jane (but not as sludgy). Definitely German. Klaus Meine's pipes are already set to take the hard-rock world by storm......
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 13:57
Thanks, I'll check those. I never heard that Eloy album or anything by Jane though.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 14:08
The first Scorpions album reminds me of a much jazzier take on the first Sabbath album. The second album is closer to the classic Scorps sound (plus it's a whole new band since the debut), but definitely informed by prog. Not sure I'd call it a prog album, but it's in the ballpark. Plus Ulrich Roth is a total genius on guitar. Any album with him on it is bound to impress.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 14:34
I don't think the first album is prog, but very kraut for sure......There are elements of early psych prog I think. Just listen to the album.......Plus it was the sound track for a German film about drugs or something, can't remember.

Fly To the Rainbow, much more psych rock than hard rock or kraut
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 14:52
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

Wow! I didn't expect this to happen - I thought they'd just continue squeezing the last drops of life out of the existing 30-40 year old presses until there is none left, and then just leave them hanging. 

Possibly the best news in the vinyl universe? 

A couple of thoughts:

ANALOG RECORDING EQUIPMENT: Last time I looked, Otari people were still manufacturing tape recorders, but I believe those had 1/2" heads and did 2 tracks only. One may think 2 tracks is not enough for studio work, but they did just that in the 1950s and somehow it worked!

CUTTING LACQUERS AND MAKING STAMPERS

I wonder if the stampers could be made through a direct process, something like 3D printing, but that would make them digital by birth, I guess? What are the prospectives of DMM? 

Yes Otari still makes new R2R decks but are serious money as they are custom made. You use a 2-channel deck to receive the mix down from the board. I would doubt you will see anyone mfg an analog mixing board like 24 track tube based or even SS based. There are some that still exist and are being used, but let's face it boyz...Digital recording is the method of choice for ease and cost, 24 track, 36 track, 72 track.....even though that is insane and not needed. But record to a digital mixing board and create a 24bit file that then might be sent to a 2" 2-track reel to reel deck for analog processing, I think that is as far as we will get. Use the analog tape delay rather than a digital delay before sent to the cutter, eliminates the need for an ADC-DAC step, one less digital step.

For me I would rather see a band record live than record in different sessions and then put it all together.....not a live recording sorry.

DMM has been used for years, some like it some not...All the DMM I have is pretty darn nice.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 15:16

For me I would rather see a band record live than record in different sessions and then put it all together.....not a live recording sorry.

DMM has been used for years, some like it some not...All the DMM I have is pretty darn nice.

I hope one day someone may come up with a specialty recording studio, configured like a jazz club, with two mikes and a two-track reel-to-reel. 

Yep, I do have a few DMM albums, and sound quality-wise they are every bit as good as the half-speed mastered JVC pressings (aka MFSL)  I was wondering if the DMM process is likely to undergo further improvements, and maybe attain more prominence. 

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 16:22

I hope one day someone may come up with a specialty recording studio, configured like a jazz club, with two mikes and a two-track reel-to-reel. 

Yep, I do have a few DMM albums, and sound quality-wise they are every bit as good as the half-speed mastered JVC pressings (aka MFSL)  I was wondering if the DMM process is likely to undergo further improvements, and maybe attain more prominence. 

Well any studio is fine, my issue is the digital recording process has made the recording process rather lazy, a vocalist can be in NYC and record the vocals and the music can be recorded in LA, the two email back and forth....what a live performance Confused 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 17:00

Well any studio is fine, my issue is the digital recording process has made the recording process rather lazy, a vocalist can be in NYC and record the vocals and the music can be recorded in LA, the two email back and forth....what a live performance Confused 

This way the band members miss out on creative cross-pollination and grooving together, which a listener like myself can detect .. can't quite put my finger on it sometimes, just don't sound like they are even enjoying the music they are making. Jamming as a band, and/or playing for live audience is not something that digital doodads can replace, ever. Different dynamics altogether.  

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 17:08

This way the band members miss out on creative cross-pollination and grooving together, which a listener like myself can detect .. can't quite put my finger on it sometimes, just don't sound like they are even enjoying the music they are making. Jamming as a band, and/or playing for live audience is not something that digital doodads can replace, ever. Different dynamics altogether.  

This is why we have all those great recordings by Coltrane, Davis, Mingus even Floyd......jam sessions that created great songs. But they did not know it till they played it back....Digital can re-create what you describe.
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 14:23

Kind of along the lines of Eloy's debut (with the trash-can cover)

I always thought it was a manhole cover. You learn something new everyday.
http://fryingpanmedia.com
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 21:15
The LP has a 'gimmix' cover - it's a round lid, and you open it to reveal the trash inside the garbage-can !!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2014 at 09:45
The last one:

I listened to this one on CD many times but the LP is somehow better: the stereo effects are much more nitid, there are some small differences on the mix compared to the CD like volume of the tracks or "where" they are played which make a different experience. There are also parts that were confusing on CD with so many tracks playing on the each side but here they are easily distinct: I never noticed the choir Mellotron on Part 3 before, for example.
Some say that his music is accessible and undemanding but I see it as good thing: I just play the record and let the electronic waves take me. Approve
I really need to get Oxygène now Wink

Edited by Meltdowner - December 26 2014 at 19:08
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2014 at 09:57
^ well, once you got into vinyl, there is no way out. The more you buy, the more you crave for more .. speaking from personal experience :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5455565758 312>