Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5556575859 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2014 at 10:11
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

The last one:

I listened to this one on CD many times but the LP is somehow better: the stereo effects are much more nitid, there are some small differences on the mix compared to the CD like volume of the tracks or "where" they are played which make a different experience. There are also parts that were confusing on CD with so many tracks playing on the each side but here they are easily distinct: I never noticed the choir Mellotron on Part 3 before, for example.
Some say that his music is accessible and undemanding but I see it as good thing: I just play the record and let the electronic waves take me. Approve
I really need to get Oxygène now Wink
I've had that one for most of my life and have only ever heard it on vinyl (or a digital rip of my LP copy).  It's a nice album, very pleasant sounding but still exciting.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2014 at 12:31
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

^ well, once you got into vinyl, there is no way out. The more you buy, the more you crave for more .. speaking from personal experience :)
True, good thing it's my only addiction Tongue

Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I've had that one for most of my life and have only ever heard it on vinyl (or a digital rip of my LP copy).  It's a nice album, very pleasant sounding but still exciting.
Indeed, I think it's a mistake to compare it with TD, Schulze or other PE masters: his music has its own category, that's probably why he is on Prog Related.

I never ripped any LP to digital: with my current set up it probably doesn't sound great Ermm I did record some singles to cassette though to learn how to record one Tongue
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2014 at 19:37

These newly cut remasters approved by Fripp are amazing, I just received this one in the mail from Greg. Each of these new issues are just fantastic. So much more music has been uncovered than the originals, and the sound quality is just pristine. The vinyl quality is excellent, surface noise does not exist.....brilliant!
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2014 at 21:28

^ well, once you got into vinyl, there is no way out. The more you buy, the more you crave for more .. speaking from personal experience :)

A beautiful epidemic.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2014 at 21:44
And now giving this one a spin, also arrived today from Greg, this is my only Anathema album I own. The early material is not to my liking with the vocals and deathcore metal attitude. This album I really enjoyed when first came out earlier this year, so of course I had to get the vinyl.
KScope hit another homerun as far as pressing quality of the vinyl and packaging. The vinyl is pristine, clean and simply well made, KScope usually never fails. Made in Germany but not sure who pressed it, maybe Pallas.

The mix is thick, very beefy, this vinyl does not lack for low-end, certainly took advantage of the groove spacing on this album. The mids are what suffer though because of this, a bit too dark, although as I listen it may fit since this recording is dark in nature. The two Steven Wilson songs he mixed have a bit more "life" to the mids, but overall the album has an excellent sound mix, clean....a traditional Kscope record. So far LP2 has a much more balanced sound with nice lows and highs.

Really nice album......glad I got it.

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2014 at 23:03
Never been a massive Anathema fan. My friend, Aussie Byrd Brother, gave me a 'going away' gift of the vinyl of A Fine Day To Exit (very fitting - no ?!) back in 2002 - and that's the one I'm most familiar with. It has its moments, though I just can't fully get into these guys. I dunno what it is, they just aren't 'instrumental' enough for my liking.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2014 at 23:29
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Never been a massive Anathema fan. My friend, Aussie Byrd Brother, gave me a 'going away' gift of the vinyl of A Fine Day To Exit (very fitting - no ?!) back in 2002 - and that's the one I'm most familiar with. It has its moments, though I just can't fully get into these guys. I dunno what it is, they just aren't 'instrumental' enough for my liking.

Not sure I will be a massive fan as I don't like the early efforts, but I do like this album......
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2014 at 03:13
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

These newly cut remasters approved by Fripp are amazing, I just received this one in the mail from Greg. Each of these new issues are just fantastic. So much more music has been uncovered than the originals, and the sound quality is just pristine. The vinyl quality is excellent, surface noise does not exist.....brilliant!  

I have the "Fripp-approved" LTIA and Lizard remastered versions. I can't say much about the Lizard, as I either never had the original version on vinyl, or had forgotten about it long ago Wacko

But the new LTIA record is definitely an improvement on the 1970s pressings, IMO. Would be interesting to see how much additional goodness they have been able to squeeze out of the tapes. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2014 at 04:35

Nice! My copy of ITCOTCK is from the issue and no surface noise either. I was thinking of getting that one to continue my KC collection, but I surely will now Thumbs Up
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2014 at 10:24

I have the "Fripp-approved" LTIA and Lizard remastered versions. I can't say much about the Lizard, as I either never had the original version on vinyl, or had forgotten about it long ago Wacko

But the new LTIA record is definitely an improvement on the 1970s pressings, IMO. Would be interesting to see how much additional goodness they have been able to squeeze out of the tapes. 

I have many of the original vinyl issues from the 70's.....never was a big KC fan back then, took me years to appreciate the music, but I kept buying the vinyl. The best way to describe is a veil has been lifted with these Fripp remasters from the original tapes. The music has more detail and is more involving with these new issues, these are very much analog recordings redone....

Of course the biggest improvement is In the Court, as the story goes the tape heads were not well aligned or maintained before the recording session, the new mix by Fripp corrected this issue with the high frequencies as best possible, so the sound has more life now, a brilliance to it.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2014 at 10:37

Nice! My copy of ITCOTCK is from the issue and no surface noise either. I was thinking of getting that one to continue my KC collection, but I surely will now Thumbs Up

Hi Sam,
This one is very good, one of the top sounding of these new releases...Red is another one that sounds super nice....neither dissapoints
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2014 at 12:03
Great, I saw that all the these new releases are not really expensive on a local store, probably because they come from the UK and the shipping costs from there are cheap. I think I'll order the ones I don't have for my birthday Big smile

Edited by Meltdowner - December 24 2014 at 12:05
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2014 at 13:07

Hi Sam,
This one is very good, one of the top sounding of these new releases...Red is another one that sounds super nice....neither dissapoints
Regarding Red - I have an 'E.G. Editions' 80's pressing, and whilst it sounds fine, and has a nice and thick cover, it just doesn't have much volume - what I mean is that I need to crank it up a few notches higher than most other albums to get the 'kick' from it. How's the up-dated version ??
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2014 at 13:46
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Hi Sam,
Regarding Red - I have an 'E.G. Editions' 80's pressing, and whilst it sounds fine, and has a nice and thick cover, it just doesn't have much volume - what I mean is that I need to crank it up a few notches higher than most other albums to get the 'kick' from it. How's the up-dated version ??

Hmm...no issues on the Red version released this year. I don't notice any low volume issues.......I participate in a reel to reel tape swap on another website and my last tape included a few songs from Red, everyone commented how good it sounded to them and believe me those ears are very discerning, we let each other know when something is off kilter.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2014 at 05:56
A Yahoo! screenshot .. what an amazing insight into the Yahoo! - supported journalism. 

Looks like they are confusing "the bucket" with @$$, or can't tell their @$$ from their elbow  Disapprove

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2014 at 08:16
^ Here's the article:

They don't even argue why it should be retired. 
And also what's wrong with using Windows 2000? It uses the same core as the recent OS and for many offices that's enough.

No wonder journalism is dying Ermm

Edited by Meltdowner - December 26 2014 at 08:39
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2014 at 09:30

They don't even argue why it should be retired. 
And also what's wrong with using Windows 2000? It uses the same core as the recent OS and for many offices that's enough. No wonder journalism is dying Ermm 

I could tell you what's wrong with Windows 8 instead, but you know it better than I do Big smile. I have used all versions of Windows from 2.1 (yep, that's when your HDD was in MB, not GB) to 7, and 95 was already suitable for my essential needs. Can't remember not being able to get work done back in the '90s just because my computer "wasn't smart enough". 

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2014 at 11:30
These kind of articles are just a reporter showing boredom, justifying his paycheck, trying to create a stir....on his thinking bicycles should have been eliminated years ago..People who buy them are for recreation, same reason vinyl still sells..recreation/entertainment.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2014 at 16:02

I could tell you what's wrong with Windows 8 instead, but you know it better than I do Big smile. I have used all versions of Windows from 2.1 (yep, that's when your HDD was in MB, not GB) to 7, and 95 was already suitable for my essential needs. Can't remember not being able to get work done back in the '90s just because my computer "wasn't smart enough".
My PC at work has Windows 8 and I still don't like it, at least with Vista and 7 we can hear Fripp's soundscapes Tongue The visuals and the interactivity are the greatest change, internally they are selling almost the same thing for more than 20 years Ermm
My father had a laptop with Windows 3.1, I remember playing minesweeper in it when I was 3/4 years old. I also remember the first DVD drive we had and the slow and expensive dial-up internet for example. Most of my childhood memories are computer related Tongue

These kind of articles are just a reporter showing boredom, justifying his paycheck, trying to create a stir....on his thinking bicycles should have been eliminated years ago..People who buy them are for recreation, same reason vinyl still sells..recreation/entertainment.
Is there any other kind of reporters nowadays? Ermm

Edited by Meltdowner - December 26 2014 at 16:03
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2014 at 17:52

My PC at work has Windows 8 and I still don't like it, at least with Vista and 7 we can hear Fripp's soundscapes Tongue 

Isn't that true! I knew about Vista, but didn't know 7 had them also. Perhaps that's because all dings are turned off. 

The visuals and the interactivity are the greatest change, internally they are selling almost the same thing for more than 20 years Ermm 

Thankfully. If it was all-new every time new W comes out, some older people may get rather grumpy because of having to learn new tricks. 

I also remember the first DVD drive we had and the slow and expensive dial-up internet for example. Most of my childhood memories are computer related Tongue 

When I first had a DVD drive on my laptop, I didn't even know I had it (I thought it was a CD burner, because it did play, rip and burn CD's .. so, it had to be a CD burner, no?). I rarely read the specs, because I destroy one every 9 months or so, so I only look at the price sticker Thumbs Up 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5556575859 312>