Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5657585960 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2014 at 18:46
In Windows 7 they shortened the tracks a bit.

How do you destroy a DVD drive every 9 months? LOL
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2014 at 19:43
^ not the drive; the laptop itself. 

Being a hands-on field engineer, I take my laptop to all kinds of computer-unfriendly places (cold, or hot, dusty and humid). Some mechanical rooms can easily run 40C in the summertime; a civilian laptop just cannot cool itself properly. My latest laptop has an SSD, which makes its life a little easier. 

Besides, I regularly drop them Clap

I also have gone through 4 smartphones in the last 4-5 years.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2014 at 20:06
^ that makes more sense. Poor computers though Ouch

It seems like an interesting line of work Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 05:16
From Time:

.. and now we know how society sees us .. those thrift store pants and the North Korean-style tunic are priceless. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 14:49
Society is clueless........

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 16:23
^ first she takes the dust cover off Disapprove, then she chews on the cable Shocked.. before you know it, she'll be grabbing the record with greasy fingers Thumbs Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 18:52
I could teach her how to properly listen to vinyl Wink

These pictures are very cool:
http://dangerousminds.net/comments/vinyl_and_stylus_at_1000x_magnification
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 19:49
^ Training young vinylistas: just make sure you sign a pre-listening agreement, stipulating that when/if she leaves, she will not be entitled to half of your collection

The pix: It's not too hard to understand the theory of converting mechanical vibrations into electric current, but it's still mind-boggling :)

Specially for you: I did play the single version of Comfortably Numb, and it's OK .. I guess. Is that what you were asking about? I don not have The Wall album, so nothing to compare it with. But it looks kind of cute on the white platter.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 20:28
^ That seems nasty... unless it's part of my collection I could glady get rid off Tongue

Yes, but everything looks cool under a microscope Cool

I was asking if they cut the guitar solo: you don't have the original to compare but it seems logical even if it's the best thing about it.
I have a white single that looks cute on my black platter. Smile

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 21:15
^ "I am so sorry to see you go. Here, carinha, take my most treasured vinyl: Culture Club, GTR, Barry Manilow, Linda Ronstadt .. here, there is a couple more in the trash can". 

Oh, I forgot about the guitar solo. I might remember tomorrow, but I may forget on which track (or my PA password). 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 10:13
^ LOL See, cr**py music is valuable
That happened to someone I know but he got the worst stuff: she got his Genesis albums, he got Phil Collins' solo albums for example Disapprove

To me, the single edit of Comfortably Numb should be: intro, first solo, chorus, extended second solo Big smile
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 12:31
I like Comfortably Numb.....
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 14:27
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Society is clueless........

My daughter used to do the same thing. And she listened to Punk!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 14:37
^ Don't be cornfused at my comment......Argo's picture of the doof in high-waters and tunic is not the people in "society" I see buying records at the stores I frequent.....They look more like the ones in the picture I posted.

My "society is clueless" is directed at the doofs who publish these images....

LOLLOL

Edited by Catcher10 - December 28 2014 at 14:39
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 14:40
Oh, no problem Jose. Just a strange coincidence that caught my eye. LOL Great Pic, btw! Clap

Edited by SteveG - December 28 2014 at 14:41
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 18:06
I visited Rough Trade records in Williamsburg today - large selection of vinyl, even had Porcupine Tree and Krautrock sections, but nothing that I was really chasing. Saw a few chicks, younger than myself, buying vinyl.
Around the corner was a collectible market with a vinyl stall - I picked up Shylock's first album, Gialorgues. Been looking for that one for years.....
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 18:29
No clue what that is Tom.....glad you found it though....So much was pressed on vinyl back in the day.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 18:35
This chick collects vinyl by girl pop groups......

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 18:57
_MG_5875-Edit-2
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 18:58
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

No clue what that is Tom.....glad you found it though....So much was pressed on vinyl back in the day.
Chances are, if you like King Crimson, you'll like Shylock......
Y'know, even a chain of shops here called Urban Outfitters, stock vinyl. I'm seeing it everywhere here. I'm impressed to see the new Floyd heartily stocked in most places......
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5657585960 312>