Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7980818283 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 11:41
^ my pleasure. Unlike the Spin Clean, the "Record Doctor" does have a pretty potent vacuum function to it, which allows more thorough removal of the cleaning fluid and likely contributes to sucking out what may be sitting in the grooves.  
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 14:54
The record doctor gets nice reviews......Let me know if you get it and your impressions on how it cleans. Plus it is manual as you have to spin by hand. The more expensive ones have turntable built in and spin by motor....but $200 vs $650 (VPI) is a lot...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 16:35
^ I wouldn't know what other machine to compare it to, because it's the only one I have ever had. It's way better than just using a velvet brush (which are good for surface cleaning only anyway). After I fixed a little problem the machine had, the suction has been pretty good; 3 full turns clockwise, then a couple counter clockwise, and the record is dry, would you believe. The absence of the record turning mechanism don't bother me none. The way I see it, the fewer moving parts, the longer it will last :) One thing to watch, though, is the condition of the "sweeping pad", because you don't want it to collect any abrasive particles. 
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 16:58
The Record Doctor sounds like the best from what I've researched. And like I said earlier, I prefer the horizontal cleaner over the vertical.
If I end up ordering it (which I probably will) after using it a few times I will post the results.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 19:39
^ I do believe that my machine came with a small vial of cleaning fluid and a special brush they recommend to use.  

And now, a quick update on the grand project, Phase II. All active duty records have been moved to the sectioned shelves; the oldies (pre-1970s and curiosities) are still in their crates, but will eventually go into the planned storage cube, which will replace the existing TV stand. 

Now I need to figure out where to store my digipak-clad polycarbonate, and I'll be good for a while Thumbs Up

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 19:56
lookin good Thumbs Up
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 00:40
Back home again (aaaaaaaahh) - just plonked on Liquid Tension Experiment 2 and having a great time......
bleedin' hot here too - low 90's and humid as a hot-house. Bit of a change after The States.........
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 01:02
Is the LTE2 on the splatter vinyl?
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 02:27
^ Indeed - translucent aqua with black splatter - further adding to the excitement (that few can understand.....)
Man, I love the U.S. of A. All you folks living there are very lucky.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 03:55
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Is the LTE2 on the splatter vinyl?

And of course, LTE were a remarkable troupe of talents, each and every member a true master of their respective instruments.
...........now, after a break, just cleaned and plonked on the TT, STYX - Caught In The Act, Live.
Quite excellent so far, truth be told. Some vocals are a tad ropey, given there's no studio polish, but it works in my favour, as I prefer a more 'natural' approach with the vox, as opposed to the smoothed-out studio tweeking. The instrumental performances are bang-on. Definitely up there with Journey and Toto, as far as precision is concerned.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 12:09
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ Indeed - translucent aqua with black splatter - further adding to the excitement (that few can understand.....)

Cool....I bought mine during the RSD promo couple yrs ago. Very well done and a good sound quality too, I wish LTE would put out more music..but doubt they will
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 12:13

I used to travel to New Zealand for work many yrs ago, but never made it to Australia, I really wanted to go....still do. But expensive to travel there from here.....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 14:09
^ you two reminded me, in a circuitous way, about one great album I have been ignoring .. up the platter she pops, and ... drum roll ... she can dance a Cajun rhythm, yes indeed Thumbs UpClap

What incredibly juicy, voluptuous analog sound this is (the MFSL version), gentlemen .. 

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 14:42
Yep - American Beauty......
Sugar Magnolia is a fond fave of mine, as is Ripple, Attics Of My Life......
It oozes American class.......
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 14:49

I used to travel to New Zealand for work many yrs ago, but never made it to Australia, I really wanted to go....still do. But expensive to travel there from here.....
I'm tipping that if you hold off on the vinyl and related gadgets for a year, you could easily make it down under.
Man, I wish I was back in NYC, it's quarter to 7am, and I'm already sweating.
......bleedin' cane-toads jumping around the yard, cicadas chirping in the trees, even a kookaburra laughing in the distance......good to be back home really, but love what I've seen of USA and Caribbean.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 15:29

I tried to go to Sydney on R&R in 1970 but it didn't happen.
I've always regretted that because I have not since and will not again have a chance to go.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 16:27

I'm tipping that if you hold off on the vinyl and related gadgets for a year, you could easily make it down under.
Man, I wish I was back in NYC, it's quarter to 7am, and I'm already sweating.
......bleedin' cane-toads jumping around the yard, cicadas chirping in the trees, even a kookaburra laughing in the distance......good to be back home really, but love what I've seen of USA and Caribbean.

Ha...that would be nice to hear! Currently we are in a heatwave here in the Pacific Northwest, 60F for the week, while Midwest and back east they are getting pummeled with cold snow yucky!! I just came in from raking leaves, washing the cars.......Will rest, cook dinner and spin tunes tonight.

Actually Tom, this year is 30th wedding anniversary so wife and I wanting to take a nice cruise possibly, maybe Mediterranean...not sure, so I am saving some pennies for that and yes no gear this year. 
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 16:41
^ Or you can take the Cruise to the Edge Wink
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 16:45
^^ Very nice, Jose - congrats for 30 years
Listening to the live Styx again - terrific !! Great performance - and the gig seems to be from New Orleans (DeYoung and Shaw state in a few songs). There's no location/date credits..... guessing it's from the Kilroy tour during 1983. Love to get my hands on the DVD of it.

Edited by Tom Ozric - January 25 2015 at 16:46
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 16:51

Yep - American Beauty......
Sugar Magnolia is a fond fave of mine, as is Ripple, Attics Of My Life......
It oozes American class.......
I have a beat up album from the seventies called "Old And In The Way" with Jerry Garcia on banjo.
I might check out the condition and see if I want to play it on my turntable.

Jerry Garcia - banjo, vocals
David Grisman - mandolin, vocals
Peter Rowan - guitar, vocals
John Kahn - string bass
Vassar Clements - violin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7980818283 312>