Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8081828384 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 17:36
^ I don't know that one, I somehow skipped on his acoustic forays, but I have his first solo album, some good songs and plenty of psychedelic/hallucinogenic experiments.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 18:25
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ Or you can take the Cruise to the Edge Wink

Yea I don't think so........Would love to do one of those but not for this event Smile
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 18:43
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

......bleedin' cane-toads jumping around the yard

Maybe they aren't very good at reading and think that you are browsing Frogarchives? Be a good steward of the Fripp's innocent, and occasionally disoriented creatures :)

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 20:44
^ I just walked to the local bakery and passed so many dead toads along the path and road. And as there is a large pond in the parkland next door, they are rife. Occasionally snakes slither out from that area too.
.......and in NYC, I may get harassed by a squirrel in one of the parks.....
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 21:06
That's nothing in New Orleans there are gators in one of the golf courses I played at occasionally, balls in the pond stayed there...

And here in PNW we have bigfoot....so there you have it
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 22:06
^ Ha !! We have plenty of crocodiles up in the northern part of the state, lucky for us, they don't come down where we are. Plenty of snakes, though - deadly ones ; King Browns, Red-Bellied Blacks (both have been in our yard on several occasions) Green Tree Snakes (non-venomous).
Sometimes I walk to the 'beach' - mangroves here, can walk out for a mile at low tide, nearly stepped on a Blue-Ring Octopus once, scared the sh*t out of me.
Anyway - tried to get through the Messhugah album I bought - complete rubbish - can't stand it, musically it's O.K. A bit brutal, but the growling vocals are juvenile crap. I was expecting more - sounds like a bunch of angry speed-freaks. Won't be spinning it again........

Edited by Tom Ozric - January 25 2015 at 22:07
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 00:30
^ I can't do growling vocals....I hope Anathema continue the path of Distant Satellites, with the melodic vocals and non growls.

Messhugah as well as Mastodon I would like to like, but I cannot not......It's ok, plenty of music still to discover...non-growling
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 01:33
^ I still have 2 Mastodon LP's to listen to - I flicked through Crack The Skye, it sounded fine. One of the vocalists is very Ozzy-like for sure. The music is melodic, technical, and pretty worthy.
This Messhugah arrangement is totally immature - I dunno, if I were an angst-ridden druggy late-teenager with a chip on my shoulder, maybe it would sound fine, but I'm not (anymore) - it's just noise to my ears. Sure they know odd time sigs, fast playing and a degree of tightness, but it just comes off as a total, nasty mess. Not for me. I bombed out with this album.
Having said, I liked what I heard of Behold The Arctopus - now that style of tech-metal is awesome.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 05:58
I've been a fan of metal since the eighties and preferred hard rock to prog style bands in the seventies.
I don't like growling screaming vocals. It takes away from and often overpowers the music.
The music, especially loud obnoxious guitar, is why I listen in the first place.
Philip Anselmo (Pantera, Down) is borderline for me and he's even hard to take.
I prefer something more like Pepper Keenan's vocals in Corrosion Of Conformity.

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 18:03
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ Or you can take the Cruise to the Edge Wink

Yea I don't think so........Would love to do one of those but not for this event Smile
Oh ok Smile I can't tell you about the Mediterranean even though the nearest Mediterranean beach is probably a 10 hour drive from here Tongue
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 18:11
Bought some "pre-loved" LP's today: I got my first triple LP (yey! Big smile) and also a Renaissance copy to have something to sign but I gess I'll have to find another album until the concert... frippdamn sticker Angry
I'm also curious to listen to that Vangelis album, after a lot of talking about it last week Smile

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 20:15
Seconds Out is one of my fav live albums ever.......
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 20:27
Very nice.....first play and really enjoy this one. Very good sound, brass is natural sounding and solid bass lines.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 21:44
Another wonderful reworking by Nick Davis, a lovely analog sound redone from original masters.

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 23:26

Very nice.....first play and really enjoy this one. Very good sound, brass is natural sounding and solid bass lines.

One of my Dad's favourites -The Duke. Dad & I did catch a gig at Preservation Hall. I haven't seen such a gleeful look on his face for a long time. It was the 'house' band, oh how they were fun !! The Tuba player was a scream, and the drummer - it blows me out what he could play on his tiny kit..)
My listening, just wrapped up STYX - Equinox (great album - haven't spun it for quite some time), now onto DREAM THEATER - Metropolis Part 2.....

Edited by Tom Ozric - January 26 2015 at 23:28
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 08:09
just found another box - packed full of 45s.
Mostly 'older' stuff  (Elton John - Pinball Wizard, etc)

I have no idea when or where I got these ...  makes me want to buy an old jukebox.
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 09:10
^ I have put a temporary moratorium on new purchases of records; it will be in effect until I have gone through all of my decommissioned records. Way too much stuff that I will have forgotten about. Keep finding all kinds of treasures in the basement apart from records: boxes of books, clothes, kitchen utensils, one half-dismantled R2R, an Ubuntu laptop (with a broken hinge, but otherwise good), folding chairs and such, and get this: an emergency generator !!! I thought I had two, but now I know it's three Big smile 
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 09:24
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

^ I have put a temporary moratorium on new purchases of records; it will be in effect until I have gone through all of my decommissioned records. Way too much stuff that I will have forgotten about. Keep finding all kinds of treasures in the basement apart from records: boxes of books, clothes, kitchen utensils, one half-dismantled R2R, an Ubuntu laptop (with a broken hinge, but otherwise good), folding chairs and such, and get this: an emergency generator !!! I thought I had two, but now I know it's three Big smile 

my problem was that I often bought things at thrift stores and garage sales - often someone would say - just take the box .. $5

if I had something going on at the time I might just take it home and store it.
I had quite a big basement in the last house and built a ton of storage .. i'm good at managing space ... and everything was packed away well ... But with the recent move I got to see things i'd completely forgotten about..
I found a bunch of Italian imports of Kansas, and other American releases - they have those flimsier glossy sleeves and the song titles are all in Italian ..

I've opened just about every box now .. the books are home (I have about 100 boxes of those - I left the bulk of them in the old house)

It's mostly just the vinyl that contain surprises - because I hadn't played it in years but i'd still pick up the odd thing here and there and pack it away
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 16:05
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

One of my Dad's favourites -The Duke. Dad & I did catch a gig at Preservation Hall. I haven't seen such a gleeful look on his face for a long time. It was the 'house' band, oh how they were fun !! The Tuba player was a scream, and the drummer - it blows me out what he could play on his tiny kit..)
My listening, just wrapped up STYX - Equinox (great album - haven't spun it for quite some time), now onto DREAM THEATER - Metropolis Part 2.....

The house band is good, and all the different players that play there as part of the "house band". Of course seeing the Preservation Hall Jazz band is stellar, but they tour quite often and open for other bands too.

Lots of fun, part of jazz/dixieland history
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 16:16

Seconds Out is one of my fav live albums ever.......
Yeah, it's an awesome album although I prefer from the same tour, the 'Live in Cleveland 1976' bootleg: the SQ is really excelent (for a bootleg), it has Bruford on drums the entire concert (and not just Cinema Show) which is awesome and it has a very good live version of White Mountain (that's my favourite track from Trespass) Thumbs Up

Good news, the sticker from the Renaissance LP came out easily. The one on Yessongs is not like that unfortunately. Do you know any good way to remove stickers or price tags without damaging the cover? Ermm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8081828384 312>