Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8182838485 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 17:20
My son was over the other day and he took this picture to show me how good the camera is on his new
cell phone. My album shelves are basic plywood painted white. 
There are nine sections 40" wide (three rows with three sections each.
Eight sections have albums and the last one has music related books and a few music DVDs.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 17:35
^ Cool Flying V miniature... and also the Stratocaster lamp Smile

I just saw this is a cool planet on my Facebook feed... it's probably located on the Turntable System Tongue

Edited by Meltdowner - January 27 2015 at 17:36
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 18:01
That's funny, and there's even a spindle hole in the middle.

The mini Flying V is actually a cigarette lighter that I found at a liquor store.
The lamp was a gift from my daughter.
Elvis is a battery powered clock that belonged to my older sister. You can just make out the hour
and minute hands on his chest. The two legs are separate from the body and swing back and forth
if it had a new battery.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 18:17
A Flying V lighter? Shocked Awesome! Big smile
I wouldn't know it was a clock if you a hadn't said it. It seems cool Smile
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 18:26
There were four lighters in a small box on the counter so I bought one. 
After I got home I realized that it was cooler than I thought. 
I went back two days later and they were gone.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 19:14
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Seconds Out is one of my fav live albums ever.......
Yeah, it's an awesome album although I prefer from the same tour, the 'Live in Cleveland 1976' bootleg: the SQ is really excelent (for a bootleg), it has Bruford on drums the entire concert (and not just Cinema Show) which is awesome and it has a very good live version of White Mountain (that's my favourite track from Trespass) Thumbs Up

Good news, the sticker from the Renaissance LP came out easily. The one on Yessongs is not like that unfortunately. Do you know any good way to remove stickers or price tags without damaging the cover? Ermm

Better to leave it, my stores here use easy removable tags
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 19:17
Nice stuff TeleStrat......as a teen I used to have things like that in my room. But my parents moved back to Central America and all my stuff ended up getting lost, all my baseball trophy's from Little League, some early vinyl R&B/Funk I was into......gone Cry
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 20:56

Do you know any good way to remove stickers or price tags without damaging the cover? Ermm 
These stickers are surely made by a bunch of unfripply a-holes who purposed in their heart to ruin every and each record jacket. Unless the jacket is laminated, I wouldn't even try, no matter how tempting it may feel - just recently I accidentally tore of a strip the size of a quarter (or a €1 coin) in an attempt to remove a pinky nail-size sticker. 
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 21:00
I converted the spare bedroom into a "music room" to have everything music related in one place.
My stereo and album shelves cover one wall and a vintage ('40s?) Telefunken console stereo and two large floor speakers (connected to my stereo) covers another wall.
Five amps, various effects pedals and several guitars pretty much fills up the rest of the room.
The music paraphernalia, posters, cardboard stand-ups, hanging lights (one ELO and one Fly Like An Eagle) were accumulated from the sixties and seventies.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 21:25
^ it's interesting, though, to note that there are two competing schools of thinking: a dedicated music room vs general purpose room that has a pronounced "music area" near the room's focal point. Most of the vinyl people I know have converted a section of their man cave into a music room. 

My main music cathedral has always been in the living room, with satellite places of worship (chapels?) in the bedroom, dining room, home office corner and the basement. A while ago, the basement outpost became a repair workshop only, and recently it's been demoted to the status of an "unused stuff depository".   
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 22:09
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

^ it's interesting, though, to note that there are two competing schools of thinking: a dedicated music room vs general purpose room that has a pronounced "music area" near the room's focal point. Most of the vinyl people I know have converted a section of their man cave into a music room. 

My main music cathedral has always been in the living room, with satellite places of worship (chapels?) in the bedroom, dining room, home office corner and the basement. A while ago, the basement outpost became a repair workshop only, and recently it's been demoted to the status of an "unused stuff depository".   
For the first ten years of my marriage my albums, stereo, one guitar and one amp were in the living room.
But I always wanted a "music room" with nothing but my music related "stuff" so when I became single again I decided to finally make it happen. 
Basically the only thing in the room that is not music related is my lap top. Since eighty to ninety per cent of my computer time involves music, then my lap top is music related, too.
I guess it could be called a "man cave" but that term (to me) conjures up images of neon Budweiser lights and various sports pennants on the wall. 
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 06:56

I never wanted a 'man cave'  - a place to hide from my family.  the common living room was good for me.
problem was that what I thought would be the common room (the basement rec room) wasn't, and we never went down there. plus it was the only place big enough to house all the media.
it became out of sight out of mind.

My set up now is ideal .. cds and albums are on the main floor, the full stereo is in the living room steps away
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 09:01

I just saw this is a cool planet on my Facebook feed... it's probably located on the Turntable System Tongue

Turntable System in the Groovy Galaxy
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 10:25
Up till the past 10yrs, our previous homes my sound system was in the living room. I did not listen as much then as raising a family was more important, and also we just left the FM radio on when TV was off.
Really all my serious listening was done in the car while driving to and back from work.......but now I am more into serious listening as I have the time to just sit, so the system now resides in my lower level.

This allows me to listen at volumes that does not disturb others or any TV watching, essentially I do what I want when listening. Especially now the past 2 systems have been more upper end gear so I really enjoy just sitting, and my current system really makes you pay attention, much more involving...I have a lot of fun.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 10:28
I should post a pic of my system/listening area......not sure I have ever done that here?
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 10:42

Up till the past 10yrs, our previous homes my sound system was in the living room. I did not listen as much then as raising a family was more important, and also we just left the FM radio on when TV was off.
Really all my serious listening was done in the car while driving to and back from work.......but now I am more into serious listening as I have the time to just sit, so the system now resides in my lower level.

This allows me to listen at volumes that does not disturb others or any TV watching, essentially I do what I want when listening. Especially now the past 2 systems have been more upper end gear so I really enjoy just sitting, and my current system really makes you pay attention, much more involving...I have a lot of fun.
I hear what your saying. Eventually our living room became dominated by television (especially when the kids got older).
Before retiring I also had a long commute. Driving through downtown L.A. at 7:00 am and again at 5:00 pm was enough to cause road rage. 
But cassettes and then CDs saved my sanity.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 13:31

Turntable System in the Groovy Galaxy
Groovy Galaxy... that's a great band name Big smile
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 14:04
Pretty good article of what is becoming/will become an age old argument/discussion.

At the end of the day it is simply a matter of preference. I do agree, because it is true, that digital/CD has better specs than analog/vinyl. Problem for me is that I don't hear it, never really have since my first CD player purchase back in '85. What I remember is that it sounded cleaner and louder, of course no pops or clicks, ticks....Big whoop de doo. 
Most people do not associate the CD with having superior low end reproduction, if anything it is too bright. Vinyl is associated with having a good low end, heck if that is all the problem then buy a sub-woofer......
If I was seriously into classical music, as most of what is talked about in these articles, I would only do CD/Digital/SACD/Hi-resolution downloads, too many quiet passages and low/high transitions in the music, digital only seems logical. But the crispiness, loudness of digital would still cause listener fatigue...

I have no desire to spend $3,000 on a CD/SACD Player, $8,000 on a DAC, and $25.00 on hi-rez downloads, seems to me that is what is needed to "hear" what these guys are talking about as advantages.

They keep talking about the "vinyl experience" the packaging, 12" disc, artwork and the ownership of something tangible...sure that adds to the experience. But what about the fact that with vinyl I don't have listener fatigue due to the harshness level is now gone, maybe that is what all these 20-30 somethings are realizing is the main reason why they are buying vinyl.

Enjoy your music is all I have to say.... 

These comments are very interesting in the article:

"
Even before the advent of the CD, there had been a "loudness war" in the music industry — the desire to make an album louder than its competitors, so it would catch the attention of listeners and radio programmers. But when CDs made it possible to increase the volume exponentially — no more skipping needles — nuance and dynamics often suffered.
Because vinyl's restrictions do not permit the same abuse of audio levels as the CD, Mayo says that listeners might hear a wider dynamic range in an album mixed separately for vinyl over a compact disc version optimized for loudness — even though vinyl, as a format, has a narrower range than CD. "It's not just the format," Mayo says. "It's what you do with it."
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 14:15

I live 20 minutes away from work so I don't listen to much music in the car. At work I listen to aproximately 5 hours of music on streaming but it's not like listening to vinyl comfortably at home... although I would like to have a sofa, I already spend too much time sitting Tongue

On my music listening room I have an old CRT TV but only to play some DVD's and put Audio Blu-ray's on play: I never watch TV at home and I'm really not missing anything Dead
I also have a music playing room, where I have all my intruments and other related equipments Smile
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 14:20
I have a crazy commute (for me) 

50 min getting in - 70 min to get home

and every other weekend I pick up my kid and that's 5 hours of driving to get him, 4 hours to get him back home.

I listen to a hell of a lot of music in the car..   and I sing like an idiot the entire time :)
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8182838485 312>