Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8283848586 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 14:33
How's it going, Catcher 10?
I think the CD vs vinyl discussion will go on for a long time, like the UFO discussion on another thread (little green men, not the German rock band).
First of all, the "techy" people will never admit that something new is not as good as something old.
Also, as you mentioned, most CDs do not get that low end sound quality.
As far as the "loudness war" goes, just make stereos with volume knobs that go up to eleven.Wink
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 14:36
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Pretty good article of what is becoming/will become an age old argument/discussion.

At the end of the day it is simply a matter of preference. I do agree, because it is true, that digital/CD has better specs than analog/vinyl. Problem for me is that I don't hear it, never really have since my first CD player purchase back in '85. What I remember is that it sounded cleaner and louder, of course no pops or clicks, ticks....Big whoop de doo. 
Most people do not associate the CD with having superior low end reproduction, if anything it is too bright. Vinyl is associated with having a good low end, heck if that is all the problem then buy a sub-woofer......
If I was seriously into classical music, as most of what is talked about in these articles, I would only do CD/Digital/SACD/Hi-resolution downloads, too many quiet passages and low/high transitions in the music, digital only seems logical. But the crispiness, loudness of digital would still cause listener fatigue...

I have no desire to spend $3,000 on a CD/SACD Player, $8,000 on a DAC, and $25.00 on hi-rez downloads, seems to me that is what is needed to "hear" what these guys are talking about as advantages.

They keep talking about the "vinyl experience" the packaging, 12" disc, artwork and the ownership of something tangible...sure that adds to the experience. But what about the fact that with vinyl I don't have listener fatigue due to the harshness level is now gone, maybe that is what all these 20-30 somethings are realizing is the main reason why they are buying vinyl.

Enjoy your music is all I have to say.... 

These comments are very interesting in the article:

"
Even before the advent of the CD, there had been a "loudness war" in the music industry — the desire to make an album louder than its competitors, so it would catch the attention of listeners and radio programmers. But when CDs made it possible to increase the volume exponentially — no more skipping needles — nuance and dynamics often suffered.
Because vinyl's restrictions do not permit the same abuse of audio levels as the CD, Mayo says that listeners might hear a wider dynamic range in an album mixed separately for vinyl over a compact disc version optimized for loudness — even though vinyl, as a format, has a narrower range than CD. "It's not just the format," Mayo says. "It's what you do with it."
They clearly didn't heard the last KC remasters Wink

I agree with the loudness, I have some Supertramp CD's that are unlistenable Confused ... and then a I started buying them on vinyl, it's so much better Smile

I wonder what's that Technics TT they show there, it looks a lot like mine Ermm
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 15:29
Well like many here I have several CDs from the 90s that are reissues of earlier albums.....And now that some of those are being remixed from the analog tapes and done in with better equipment and more correct to the original, you can hear he nuances that are not evident on the CD version, the loudness just drowns out the little trickles of music in the background.

Thank God for people like Steven Wilson.....
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 16:18
Michael Fremer did an article on this daughter's father's vinyl collection.....I believe it numbers in the 5,000 range. In this link is a link to the article he did, she called him asking for his help to catalog her dad's collection. It is now online and available for bid.......

Problem is there are no notations about grade, deadwax info and such........

Edited by Catcher10 - January 28 2015 at 16:19
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 16:45
^ It would probably take forever to write the notations, but I also would not buy without knowing their condition.

I just read this very interesting article about vinyl piracy, really creepy stuff:
http://lavozdelmuro.net/el-mercado-negro-musical-en-la-antigua-urss-vinilos-hechos-con-radiografias/#
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 17:03
Since the girl's father was a record producer he had access to albums before they were boxed up and shipped to record stores so that would be a plus as far as condition goes.
When someone has a collection that size they tend to take care of them so, another plus for condition.
Since he did have access you could assume that most of them (if not all of them) are first pressings which is another plus.
But because of the article everyone and their brother knows about the collection and the eventual sale so that
would mean that the competition will be stiff.
All in all, it's a very interesting situation.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 17:13
Also worth mentioning is the obvious fact that with such quantity of LP's, it's pretty tough to run any given one into the ground.
I don't even have 2000, and most of them are untouched most of the time. There are favourites which will get a lot of air-time, but they are handled with kid-gloves and played on reliable equipment.

Edited by Tom Ozric - January 28 2015 at 17:14
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 17:18
I fear that a large portion of these will end up on the bay for dbl the price or more.....Fremer took a video when he got to the girls house and he states many times the quality is very good to excellent. I suspect nobody in the family has played any of these albums....

I might make an offer on some items....We shall see.....But yea telestrat, I believe most are in darn good shape.
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 18:03
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

At work I listen to aproximately 5 hours of music on streaming but it's not like listening to vinyl comfortably at home... although I would like to have a sofa, I already spend too much time sitting Tongue 
Resurrecting the Roman art of reclining Big smile

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 18:13
[QUOTE=Walton Street] and every other weekend I pick up my kid and that's 5 hours of driving to get him, 4 hours to get him back home.[QUOTE] 

Well, there are pros and contras to living in a huge country. Did you know that Canada is half the size of Pluto? 

Edited by Argonaught - January 28 2015 at 18:14
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 21:15
As promised, pics of my setup. I appreciate others showing theirs in previous posts. I am super pleased with this system I have put together...always looking at new gear though since this is a hobby. I have all formats covered...analog tape, CD, digital files and vinyl.
My desk is about 6m away from speakers, when I am deep into work, I usually spin a 10.5" reel or use my Zune player and shuffle play about 2,500 songs. My sofa is about 3m from my speakers where I sit and do serious listening on vinyl. It is a comfortable setup in my lower level, nobody disturbs me and the volume is not an issue.

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 23:42
^ Neat set-up, Jose
.......(one day I'll be able to post pics......)
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2015 at 00:25
Very nice indeedThumbs Up
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2015 at 01:15
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ Neat set-up, Jose
.......(one day I'll be able to post pics......)

Sooner than later, looking forward to Nawlins food pictures! Clap
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2015 at 01:16
This was taken awhile back when I was reorganizing some of the albums.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2015 at 01:19
Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

Very nice indeedThumbs Up

Thank you sir.....I can post closeups if people want also. I have plenty pics of my gear for home-owners insurance reasons.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2015 at 01:23

Really cool!!! I need to get some instruments to decorate the room. I did not show them, but in the glass cabinets I have two drum stics. One from Mike Portnoy he gave my wife at a Neal Morse concert and the other is from Marco Minnemann he gave her at a Steven Wilson concert.

Also have an assortment of guitar pics from Rush, Neal Morse and Scorpions concerts....all given to my wife, she has a nack for this behavior at concerts LOL

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2015 at 01:35
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Really cool!!! I need to get some instruments to decorate the room. I did not show them, but in the glass cabinets I have two drum stics. One from Mike Portnoy he gave my wife at a Neal Morse concert and the other is from Marco Minnemann he gave her at a Steven Wilson concert.

Also have an assortment of guitar pics from Rush, Neal Morse and Scorpions concerts....all given to my wife, she has a nack for this behavior at concerts LOL

TeleStrat, where'd your picture go?

Catcher, you are using your lady wife in the same way Medieval falconers used birds of prey LOL

And your setup is really classy. Do you keep some of your vinyl in that filing cabinet under the R2R&. I know where you keep your Can record; it's kind of hard to miss Big smile
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2015 at 01:35
I had accumulated various music related things like posters, small display items and hanging lights, etc.
For the longest time they were rolled up and boxed up and stored in the closet.
When I decided to use this room for my stereo, albums, guitars and amps I thought it was time to take the other stuff out and put it on display. 
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2015 at 01:38
What picture are you referring to, Argonaught?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8283848586 312>