Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8485868788 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 17:19
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Got word back from Greg - $145 postage !!

As I keep saying,

Money is like the wind - if it ain't movin', it ain't worth nothin'
Thank you, Fripp, for our daily Prog (Red 39:54)
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 18:27
^ As long as I endure slaving for da man, the moola keeps rolling in.......
I think Greg said it weighs 20lbs !! There's a few triples and dbls in the lot, so it adds up. I only binge from Greg maybe 3 times a year......
And as an example - the live Anglagard album from Greg is 50 bucks - elsewhere on-line it's upwards of 70, with $16+ for postage.........bulk buying is the way.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 03:07
The parcel came in at 126 pounds actually, weight wise.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 04:14
^ a petite mail order bride? 

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 04:30
Wishful thinking, my friend. In true Prog generalisations, I'm starting to believe it's my love of 'weirdo music' that scares all the women away..........
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 05:09
^ LOL So true

That's a big package Tom, I hope you can handle it Tongue ... and you learn how to post photos here in the meantime Wink
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 05:44
I mainly stick with my iPod, therefore I need to download some apps and learn how to use them.......
......one day..................
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 07:53
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Wishful thinking, my friend. In true Prog generalisations, I'm starting to believe it's my love of 'weirdo music' that scares all the women away.......... 

Diogenes of Sinope, who was famous for living in a barrel, was once approached by his old friend, who served as one of the King's courtier wise men (these days you'd call them a think tank or something). 

He spoke unto Diogenes thus, 'Say, old chap, does this kind of life befit you? If you only would learn how to flatter the King, you wouldn't have to sleep in a barrel and and survive on crude lentil broth. You could lead a princely life in His Majesty's court'

To which Diogenes replied, 'And if you, my friend, would learn how to sleep in a barrel and eat lentil broth, you wouldn't have to flatter the King'. 
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 08:47
some of you lot have some big honking collections of your favourite bands...
i have a few bands where i actively sought out everything i could but i never found the weird stuff like many of you have ..

Could never find it locally and by the time Ebay, etc rolled along i couldn't sink the $$$ into music the way i used to. (actually - i did but i went into a bit of a movie buying frenzy ..

just for the hell of it though - here is the Genesis (and associated) collection i recently unpacked from a box 

given the thread - this is just the vinyl, i have several in CD as well - including a couple of box sets.
(these will start out in order then it'll quickly fall apart)

- Genesis to Revelation
- Rock Roots
- Trespass
- Nursery Cryme
- Nursery Cryme - German import
- Foxtrot (gatefold)
- Selling England By the Pound
- The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
- Genesis Live
- Second Out
- Just a Pool of Tears 'bootleg'
- Spot the Pigeon
- Spot the Pigeon - blue vinyl
- A Trick of the Tail
- A Trick of the Tail - original master recording
- A Trick of the Tail - french import
- Wind & Wuthering
- ...and then there were three
- Duke
- Genesis (the one with mama) - Dutch import
(i have a regular one somewhere as well)
- abacab
- Invisible Touch 
- Steve Hackett - Voyage of the Acolyte
- Steve Hackett - Don't Touch
- Steve Hackett - Highly Strung
- Steve Hackett - Cured
- Mike Rutherford - Smallcreeps Day
- Mike Rutherford - Acting Very Strange
- Mike and the Mechanics
- Anthony Phillips - Wise After the Event
- Anthony Phillips - The Geese and the Ghost
- Anthony Phillips - Sides
- Phill Collins - Face Value
- Phill Collins - Hello I Must Be Going
- Phil Collins - No Jacket Required
- Brand X - Unorthodox Behavior
(i'm petty sure i have Morrocan Roll but i can't find it)
- Tony Banks - A Curious Feeling
- Tony Banks - The Fugitive
- Peter Gabriel - car
- Peter Gabriel - scratches
- Peter Gabriel - melt
- Peter Gabriel - i don't remember - ep
- Peter Gabriel - security
- Peter Gabriel - shock the monkey - ep
- Peter Gabriel - so
- Peter Gabriel - Plays Live

and that's all she wrote

Edited by Walton Street - January 31 2015 at 08:49
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 09:07
^ I usually do not consider digital music a part of my core "active duty" collection, and I wouldn't buy on vinyl every album, produced by a "favorite band" - only those that I really like. I think it's only Chick Corea, KC and PF that sport 5 or more entries in my vinyl collection, if you don't count the likes of Impossible Ark/Tru Thoughts people, Genesis + Hackett etc. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 09:11
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

^ I usually do not consider digital music a part of my core "active duty" collection, and I wouldn't buy on vinyl every album, produced by a "favorite band" - only those that I really like. I think it's only Chick Corea, KC and PF that sport 5 or more entries in my vinyl collection, if you don't count the likes of Impossible Ark/Tru Thoughts people, Genesis + Hackett etc. 

yeah, for my favourite bands, the albums i'm not crazy about i won't get unless they are dirt cheap or free
Most of these albums i bought as they were released and i didn't know the weak ones were going to be crap until after i already bought them.

i miss that - the anticipation i used to have with new album releases ..

- SpongeBob Socrates
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 10:04
Originally posted by Walton Street Walton Street wrote:

Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

yeah, for my favourite bands, the albums i'm not crazy about i won't get unless they are dirt cheap or free
Most of these albums i bought as they were released and i didn't know the weak ones were going to be crap until after i already bought them.

More than once, back in the day, I have brought an album home and played it and then said, "Oh well, at least it's got great cover art".
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 10:45

We still get a little bit of this sometimes, luckily, TER being only one example that perhaps everybody in this thread can relate to. Otherwise, yes, instant gratification has well and truly deprived our souls from some of their depth.  

Edited by Argonaught - January 31 2015 at 10:46
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 10:46
i'm currently listening to mixed cassette tapes (taped from vinyl) that i haven't heard in 25 years ... very fun

- SpongeBob Socrates
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 10:56

i'm currently listening to mixed cassette tapes (taped from vinyl) that i haven't heard in 25 years ... very fun
I used to do that and it was great. I would use songs from the same band off different tapes and make a greatest hits cassette.
Now I'm trying to remember how I did that. I believe it was when boom boxes had two cassette players. The first one for playing and the second one for dubbing.
Does that sound right?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 11:22
Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

I used to do that and it was great. I would use songs from the same band off different tapes and make a greatest hits cassette.
Now I'm trying to remember how I did that. I believe it was when boom boxes had two cassette players. The first one for playing and the second one for dubbing.
Does that sound right?

must have been 

i only taped from vinyl myself ... 

- SpongeBob Socrates
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 11:31
As boomboxes grew in popularity, they also became more complex in design and functionality. By the late 1980s, many boomboxes included separate high and low frequency speakers and a second tape deck to allow the boombox to record off of both the radio and other pre-recorded cassettes. Equalizers, balance adjusters, Dolby noise reduction, and LED sound gauges were other later additions.[4]

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 12:33
I have always made vinyl-to-tape compilations (or just shorter versions to eliminate fillers) - and I still do - using a single cassette deck. 

I have been contemplating buying a high-end vintage ghetto blasta just for the heck of it, but other priorities arose. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 14:49
I have a nice Sony boom box in the garage, does cassette and CDs, removable speakers.....never was into those big boom boxes, with lights and all.

Very cool thought
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 15:07
The BB I have now has CD on top and cassette (I never use it) on the front. 
I bought if specifically to use around the house. If I'm doing a project in the garage or working in the back yard I grab 3 or 4 CDs and get busy. It makes working around the house more enjoyable.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8485868788 312>