Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8586878889 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 18:31
Originally posted by Walton Street Walton Street wrote:

- A Trick of the Tail
- A Trick of the Tail - original master recording
- A Trick of the Tail - french import
The imports. Very cool. Clap
http://fryingpanmedia.com
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 21:37
I wish Steven Wilson would remix everything in the world, it would be a much nicer warmer world.....Clap

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 03:19
^ Shame the concept is so cold
Brilliant album - 5 stars for me.
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 05:52
^ used to be 5 stars for me too, but then I realized that I only liked sides B and D (where they attached the Nil EP to the double-vinyl package). 

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I wish Steven Wilson would remix everything in the world, it would be a much nicer warmer world.....Clap 
You are not alone. Everything he touches sound-engineering wise becomes at least slightly better. I have read somewhere that Wilson rejected a request to re-engineer some ELP stuff for reissue on vinyl, which is a shame. Too many incredible 1970s albums were ruined by couldn't-care-less sound engineering. Guess back then the contents trumped the SQ. 

I also wish he'd quit singing Confused.  

Thank you, Fripp, for our daily Prog (Red 39:54)
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 06:14
^ Yes, he did: http://www.amazon.com/Tarkus-Deluxe-Edition-Emerson/dp/B008FPZQRO

I don't know what to think of FOABP these days Ermm
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 06:39
^ If I were to take a bold guess, and with my own experience in mind: the FOABP's novelty effect  may have worn off, and now you may be seeing it for what it is. Too many Wilson's grumpy demons and too much cringe-worthy singing, IMO. But Anesthetize and Nil Recurring (Sides B and D respectively) are exceptionally good.  

Edited by Argonaught - February 01 2015 at 06:39
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 06:52
That's probably it, I'm not much into their Metal phase (or Prog Metal generally) but it was very good the first times, although I agree with Anesthetize, one of their best tracks with a great solo from Lifeson Clap
I don't recall much from Nil Recurring Ermm
I find myself listening more to their early albums, although as much as I like Gavin Harrison's drumming, I don't like what they did with Up the Downstair: he's too aggressive for the kind of music/mood of that album, it ruins it IMO. I'd like to have an original LP but those are quite rare and expensive Confused

Edited by Meltdowner - February 01 2015 at 06:56
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 08:06
^ if your version of FOABP is the 55 minute one, it could be just the core album without Nil Recurring (the version with the Nil is 80 minutes). Lifeson is surely a canonical prophet in the prog gospel, but in Nil Recurring there is a lead guitar solo by The One whose Name shall not be spoken in vain Thumbs Up  
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 08:27
^^^ yes Indeed mr. Catcher of quality vinyl.

Wilson is one hell of a great audio engineer. I am getting a lot out of that jethro Tull
Reissue. My my. Quality. Flat EQ from original analogue master tapes? Yes please!
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 09:59
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

^ if your version of FOABP is the 55 minute one, it could be just the core album without Nil Recurring (the version with the Nil is 80 minutes). Lifeson is surely a canonical prophet in the prog gospel, but in Nil Recurring there is a lead guitar solo by The One whose Name shall not be spoken in vain Thumbs Up  
I still don't have that album, I only have TSMS on CD so far, the last CD I bought. LOL I've been listening to their music on streaming and only listened to Nil once, I think I'll wait for when I get it on vinyl, it's another reason to buy it Tongue
I didn't know The Fripp played there Shocked I think I didn't speak in vain LOL

Edited by Meltdowner - February 01 2015 at 10:00
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 12:56
I'm not a big Fripp fan, especially his guitar playing, think it is over rated...Truckloads of better guitarists out there that don't get the recognition he does.

As far as FOABP, love that album.....It has fully grown on me many years ago and now it is just a classic in my collection. I spin it from start to finish, and yes the Nil Recurring songs are excellent.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 13:09
^ I don't think he is one of the best guitarists but I like his playing style and tone; it's my opinion about Mike Oldfield as well. Certainly not on the same level as Hackett or Howe for example Wink
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 13:50
I always look forward to spinning any of my PT vinyls - and with everything else to listen to, none of the PT has wore out its welcome.
Yes, Lifeson's solo is a highlight.
I was a bit disappointed with The Incident - sure has some top-rate material on it, but as a whole, I do find my concentration wavering a bit.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 13:53
[QUOTE=Catcher10]I'm not a big Fripp fan, especially his guitar playing, think it is over rated...Truckloads of better guitarists out there that don't get the recognition he does.

For my entire (music) life I have favored the guitar over other instruments. I have been listening to it since
Chet Atkins, The Ventures and Dick Dale. No matter what type of music is playing, if it has guitar in it that's what I'm listening to.
He is an accomplished guitarist but his style is not for me.

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 14:13
^ Y'know, I despise Bryan Adams, but I don't mind many of his solos - kinda like a 3rd-rate Gilmour try-hard
Fripp is gifted, but often grating and difficult.
Howe's playing can get a bit ragged at times.
Hackett's style is flawless - perfect playing, though I don't like everything he's done.......
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 14:20
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ Y'know, I despise Bryan Adams, but I don't mind many of his solos - kinda like a 3rd-rate Gilmour try-hard
Hackett's style is flawless - perfect playing, though I don't like everything he's done.......
I just played Voyage Of The Acolyte a couple of days ago after not hearing it for quite some time.
I thoroughly enjoyed it from beginning to end.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 14:32

Howe is another, I much like his playing, but too much distortion at times.....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 15:18
I think we honor Mr. Fripp not for being a slicker shredder or a more sensual virtuoso than a number of great guitarists. On this level of proficiency ("influence"), pick anyone and you'd have an uncontested genius.

From where I sit, Mr. Fripp is a relentless visionary and merciless innovator of music, who has created half a dozen ground-breaking bands - all under the KC franchise. The proggiest prog, I'd argue, of the late 20th - early 21st century.  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 15:35

I was a bit disappointed with The Incident - sure has some top-rate material on it, but as a whole, I do find my concentration wavering a bit.

A lot of people were, and I am still not sure why. I think the crowd here in general cherishes "concept albums" and attributes to them a somewhat higher cred than to a good collection of songs. 

To my ear, The Incident is the purest concept album in the PT's Harrison era, the ultimate iteration of PT. And that may well be one of the reasons why Wilson didn't feel he could continue to meet and exceed expectations of continuous growth in the 2000's PT configuration, hence his solo career afterwards.  

Edited by Argonaught - February 01 2015 at 15:36
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 23:09
I like The Incident, I really like the music, compositions.....an acquired taste
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8586878889 312>