Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 979899100101 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2015 at 22:21
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Hi guys, got my phone cam fixed

ClapClapClapClapClap
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2015 at 22:25
Been thinking how to spend some of my tax refund coming. Albums, yea I will buy a few but thinking of making a few upgrades to the turntable.
1) Upgrading the tonearm to a Pro-Ject 9cc Carbon
2) Getting a speed box/PSU, the one by Phoenix Engineering, the Falcon.

I'm thinking....... 
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 14:52
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Been thinking how to spend some of my tax refund coming. Albums, yea I will buy a few but thinking of making a few upgrades to the turntable.

I'm thinking....... 
keep thinking along those lines. You're definitely on a good track there.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 14:55

ARIEL PINK - "pom pom" (2014)

My favorite artist (and current/frequent avatar). Not Prog but a kind of absurd lo fi pop thing, like the weird little songs you hear in your head when you wake up, then they're gone. You think "if only I could remember that tune..." Ariel remembers. And it still sounds like a waking dream.

Edited by HolyMoly - March 01 2015 at 14:57

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 17:27

I'm thinking....... 
There are always some ways to upgrade the listening situation, I see Smile
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2015 at 16:33
QRP adding old presses, need to be refurbished......But this is good news for those labels that are trying to release more on vinyl and get out from under all the delays.

I like the comment about the chances of anyone adding more CD presses.....LOL

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2015 at 17:47
Great news Clap I don't think I look dirty, rusty, old and useless LOL
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 08:18

Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I ran into an old acquaintance (...........) What's more, he and some friends of his have regular (almost weekly) "vinyl parties", where everyone brings a couple of records to his house and they hang out in the man-cave and listen to them.  We exchanged numbers and I may join them for their next one.  It's been a long time since I enjoyed the fun of the social aspect of vinyl.(..............)

Naw dude.....You need to go all postal on the first listening session.....don't bring DSOtM or Beatles krapp....Bust out some Can and go freaky on them!!

LOLLOLClapClap
A month later from the above posts, the vinyl get-together thing hasn't happened yet, so I decided to have one of my own this weekend.  A couple of nearby friends will be coming over Saturday to have a vinyl geek-out session.  If this kind of thing is a hit, I may make it a regular thing.

-Kehlog Albran
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 09:04
^^ In 1970 my record collecting buddy (the one selling his albums) held a weekly get together that he called 
Rate A Record. Five or six people would get together at his place and he would play five pre selected albums.
He handed out paper and pencils and instructed everyone to rate each album using the 1 thru 5 system. 
Fortunately for me, I was "out of town" for awhile and didn't have to sit through any of these sessions.
Hopefully your get together will be a little more casual and a lot less demanding.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 10:09
I assume most of us have seen this commercial.........Appears to be a Clearaudio Concept turntable with Ortofon 2M Red cartridge......I read somewhere vinyl is dead...Is this true??

(...this thread is so much fun!!)

Edited by Catcher10 - March 05 2015 at 10:10
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 12:08
Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

^^ In 1970 my record collecting buddy (the one selling his albums) held a weekly get together that he called 
Rate A Record. Five or six people would get together at his place and he would play five pre selected albums.
He handed out paper and pencils and instructed everyone to rate each album using the 1 thru 5 system. 
Fortunately for me, I was "out of town" for awhile and didn't have to sit through any of these sessions.
Hopefully your get together will be a little more casual and a lot less demanding.

Yeah, that's a bit too demanding, doesn't sound much fun to me either.  I'm making sure each person gets a chance to show off their own records, so it becomes a "show and tell" kind of thing, which everyone should enjoy.  I think critiquing the record as its playing would probably be good too - pros and cons - so we get an honest profile of each person's tastes, so future selections can be tailored thusly.  I hate the idea of having to pretend I really love a bluegrass album when I just don't like bluegrass.  (I hope no one brings one this weekend).  Then again, maybe the "right" bluegrass album at the "right" time just might change my mind, who knows. 

Edited by HolyMoly - March 05 2015 at 12:09

-Kehlog Albran
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 12:34
^^ It was definitely over the top and I'm glad I missed them. 
These were people who hung out at his place all the time and none were "into" music as such.
They were average listeners that heard most of their music on their car stereos.
It's difficult to find even a few serious music fans that live close enough to get together regularly so you're lucky in that sense.
Everyone bringing their own music is a good thing since everyone gets to participate. In that type of situation
the critique thing wouldn't really be the way to go.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 15:17

I assume most of us have seen this commercial.........Appears to be a Clearaudio Concept turntable with Ortofon 2M Red cartridge......I read somewhere vinyl is dead...Is this true??

(...this thread is so much fun!!)

Why don't we have funny commercials like you have? LOL

It sounds like a group of friends trying to prove that they are smarter than the others, a bit like those neighbourhood book clubs I see on movies Tongue Are those a common thing in the US or is it just something Hollywood wants the rest of the world to believe? Tongue
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 15:28
It's not vinyl (because it's really expensive) but I just received my first cassette ever Big smile

One sad thing though, is that I played it on my Sony cassette deck and it sounds really muffled, probably because it doesn't play anything in years. How do you think I can fix that? Ermm
I played it in a car radio I have integrated in the kitchen furniture, which plays more frequently and it plays much more clearly, so it's not the cassette.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 15:38
^^ It sounds like the heads on your Sony need a good cleaning.
I think there may still be cleaning cartridges available but if you have access 
you might be able to do the job with a Q-tip and a cleaning solution.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 15:42
As far as book clubs go, I've heard a lot about them but have never been to one. 
As far as I know, none of my friends have either.
That's probably because most of the people I've known over the years prefer their
books to have more pictures than words.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 16:33
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

It's not vinyl (because it's really expensive) but I just received my first cassette ever Big smile

One sad thing though, is that I played it on my Sony cassette deck and it sounds really muffled, probably because it doesn't play anything in years. How do you think I can fix that? Ermm
I played it in a car radio I have integrated in the kitchen furniture, which plays more frequently and it plays much more clearly, so it's not the cassette.

Take some Q-tips and 91% IPA (alcohol), not rubbing alcohol......and clean the heads. Dip the Q-tips in the IPA and rub the heads (Playback, Recording, Erase) gently till the Q-tip shows no more dirt. Let dry for a couple minutes and then play it again.....Probably should also clean the car one too, but that one you might need a cassette head cleaner.....Look for them on ebay.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 17:30
Thanks for your suggestions... learned the word q-tip today Tongue
I think I have one of those cassette head cleaners somewhere.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 17:33

That's probably because most of the people I've known over the years prefer their
books to have more pictures than words.
Dirty magazines? LOL
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 18:15
Huh. I always used rubbing alcohol for my tape deck heads. Capstans too.

Guess I got away with it for a while.  Nice to know now that I was RUINING MY EQUIPMENT. Cry

Edited by HolyMoly - March 05 2015 at 18:16

-Kehlog Albran
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 979899100101 312>