Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9899100101102 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 18:17
Vinyl Club Night is heating up for this Saturday.  Keeping it very free form, see what happens.  Just two people coming but I can envision it becoming a neighborhood craze in a few months.  All the closet music fanatics coming out.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 18:28
Let us know how that goes... and what albums you played Smile
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 19:18
Oh, I will, trust me. My friends are scheming as well. This is quite the interesting experiment. Each of us is guaranteed at least two album sides of undivided attention. And despite what I said before, I want to listen to everything on its own terms. No genre bias, screw that. A good album is a good album.

Edited by HolyMoly - March 05 2015 at 19:19

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 14:44
We expect a full report with pics and vids.......
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 14:48
Well continuing my purchase of the Led Zeppelin reissues, got the latest one today. Packaging is excellent, I got the 3-LP deluxe set which includes LP3 as unreleased alternate sessions.

First impression is the music is not as full, lowend, as say LZI or II, but originally PG was the same IME. This one continues with the excellent mixing/mastering work by Jimmy Page, and the pressing so far by Pallas is pristine.

The music itself suxs!! LOL

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 14:57
^ Cool! Thumbs Up Contrarely to the first three albums, I'm happy enough with the sound quality, also because I don't play it as often as the previous albums Tongue It has some of their most Progish tracks though Smile

I cleaned the cassette deck yesterday like you said, it was really dusty. After a few minutes of a playing a cassette the sound was clear again Smile
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 15:29
^
Clap
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 17:45
I only have this on CD....been wanting it for vinyl and there are so many issues to try and decide from. Supposedly soon a super dooper sounding all analog version is suppose to come out but not sure when.

This issue has always received good praise and I hear why....pretty damn sweet, nothing like Miles on vinyl.

Edited by Catcher10 - March 06 2015 at 17:45
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 18:09
^ I noticed that, the local store has 3 different LP editions, don't know what's the best either Tongue Still didn't listen to the Miles LP I bought Embarrassed
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 18:23
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ I noticed that, the local store has 3 different LP editions, don't know what's the best either Tongue Still didn't listen to the Miles LP I bought Embarrassed

Mine is the Legacy Vinyl edition
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 19:51

The first BS&T album, with Al Kooper. Never listened to this much before, so decided to let it spin tonight.

-Kehlog Albran
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 20:49

THE GUESS WHO - "Rockin'" (1972)

-Kehlog Albran
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2015 at 09:41
The above photo was taken during the "Vinyl Night" I inaugurated last night with 2 friends: Johnny, probably my closest friend and a co-member of Rare Goat, a band we play in; and Robert, a new friend of mine who is married to my little sister's childhood friend who moved here to ATL a couple of years ago.

Robert arrived first, with a stack of CDs. Turns out he couldn't quite get his records in order to bring (still in storage). No matter. He kicked the night off with Weezer's first album, a classic of 90s alternative, but I'd never really listened to before. Cranked up on the stereo with a fresh brewski in hand, it was a good'un ame hit the spot and got the slightly uncomfortable guest at ease.

Meanwhile Johnny had appeared with a short stack of LPs, highlighting his specialty, obscure 80s independent label punk from the U.S. He played a band I'd never heard of called Soulside, on the great Dischord label. I dug it, energetic, passionate, and professional.

I was next, playing side 1 of The Guess Who's "Rockin'". We all know American Woman, but most people don't know what a great, eclectic albums band they were. The last song on the side, Guns Guns Guns, I announced as one of my favorite songs of all time, and the room got respectfully quiet with awe as the song played.

Robert was next, and chose the first few tracks off Lou Reed's New York album. Always a pleasure to hear that, one of Lou's very best. I even added a "bonus track" to the audition, skipping ahead to my fav song on the album, Good Evening Mr Waldheim, and we all did some research to figure out who Waldheim was, though I know the song is really about Jesse Jackson.

That's part one. We went another hour or two, maybe I'll recap that later.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2015 at 10:30
Seems like you had a great night. I'm curious to know what you listened next Smile

Had a great night yesterday too: went to a local Rock festival, those are quite rare lately. Headbanged to the sound of Blues Rock, Punk Hardcore and Psychobilly. It was a very diverse night too Thumbs Up
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2015 at 15:46
Sounds like you both had great evenings.......Me, quietly spinning vinyl for a few hours. Weather here has been super nice so been in the yard a lot just outside.....
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2015 at 17:47
^ Here too, it already feels like Spring Smile

Received a package from Germany today, the newest album from the electronic duo Sankt Otten, really nice and dreamy like the previous ones... and it's my first coloured vinyl yey! Tongue
It must also be played at 45 RPM, a thing I only noticed when I was going to play the second LP. It sounded fishy at 33 RPM though LOL

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2015 at 18:29
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

It must also be played at 45 RPM, a thing I only noticed when I was going to play the second LP. It sounded fishy at 33 RPM though LOL

That happened to me this past weekend.  It was a one-sided LP (the other side had a beautiful etching but no music) with about 15 songs crammed on one side, I figured it must be 33 1/3.  My friend and I listened to it and it sounded pretty normal expect the voices were a little low.  My friend asked if it was supposed to be at 45, and sure enough it was.  Then the music got really fast.  It was a hardcore punk record, after all.

Edited by HolyMoly - March 11 2015 at 18:29

-Kehlog Albran
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2015 at 18:36
Oh, and just to wrap up my account of Saturday night's vinyl party, it continued with Johnny playing some corny punk metal 80s band called Channel Three who sounded pretty good with the volume up, but I won't be listening to them again.  Then I put on my "ringer", an obscure Rhode Island psychedelic 80s band called Plan 9, and side one of their great album "Keep Yr Cool and Read the Rules".  It went over quite well.  Then Robert had to go home and Johnny and I hung out for another hour or so, and I played that hardcore album I mentioned above ("The Endless LP" by Robot Has Werewolf Hand... I bought the LP a few years ago as a novelty and had only listened to it once), and Johnny played some more of his stuff, including something NOT punk - a live album by James McMurtry which was kind of a nice change of pace.  A singer/songwriter type who's not too rednecky.

Next time (and I did tell them there would be a next time, which they were relieved about because who wants only one chance at a night like this?) I'll floor them with some prog, I promise. LOL  I had "Thick as a Brick" and "Caravanserai" as options for Saturday, but opted to go more immediate and rockin' for starters, following the lead set by Robert and Johnny.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2015 at 18:42
^^ 15 songs on one side? It could only be hardcore punk Tongue
It didn't sound very weird because it doesn't have vocals, it sounded more like ambiental electronic music with slow drums, playing it at 33.

Edited by Meltdowner - March 11 2015 at 18:43
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2015 at 18:45
Yeah I understand, when you listen to unusual music the correct speed isn't so obvious :)

-Kehlog Albran
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9899100101102 312>