Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 102103104105106 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2015 at 14:12
^ I have heard some of it.....I guess I have a problem with the language barrier! LOL
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2015 at 15:41
^ LOL Funny you say that, I listened today to their only album with English lyrics, Merci. Except for the last two tracks it's not progressively interesting, but if you consider the other tracks as 80's Disco they are really nice Wink
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 01:10
Originally posted by aglasshouse aglasshouse wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I never thought they'd press their recent albums onto vinyl. What a celebration

Which in particular?
I believe that 'Seventh' records is going through their catalogue, starting with their recent albums. This just screams WONDERFUL!! for vinyl buffs.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 01:22
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

^ I have heard some of it.....I guess I have a problem with the language barrier! LOL
When going through Continental Prog, there is always a language barrier. I am crazy for French, Italian, German, Scandinavian etc. Prog,
To me, this conjured-up language from Vander, is just the same. And furthermore, to me it sounds like a form of, maybe, 'organised scat' - vocalisings that seem fit for the music/vision. Instead of La-la's, chickaboom's, boom-diddly-diddly-wah-wah's, we get Do-werei's and Rindu's, wehri sundi's and so forth. With the accents printed on them, they look strange on a lyric sheet, but they are just another form of syntax Vander has concocted to convey a unique concept and add to the power of the music. Once this 'barrier' is accepted (it does take time), this incredible troupe of musicians/vocalists just aim to please. This is how I perceive the whole thing anyway.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 01:30
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ LOL Funny you say that, I listened today to their only album with English lyrics, Merci. Except for the last two tracks it's not progressively interesting, but if you consider the other tracks as 80's Disco they are really nice Wink
Man, Merci is not as bad as they say - it sure is an oddity for this particular band, but, dang it, I really dig the Ooh Ooh Baby song. It will always rate as the lowest they can go, but there is one true winner on this album, and that is the magical Eliphas Levi. Really, this album is a compromise as far as the 80's music bizz is concerned. Vander has taken and elaborated on certain tracks from this album to recent times. Though not indicative of the true 'heart' of the band, it still contains material that Vandrr believes in, and that is a good sign. It is still deemed 'too weird' for the mainstream, yet not 'substantial' for those of us that prefer MDK's and Udu Wudu's.......

Edited by Tom Ozric - March 24 2015 at 01:31
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 08:47

When going through Continental Prog, there is always a language barrier. I am crazy for French, Italian, German, Scandinavian etc. Prog,
To me, this conjured-up language from Vander, is just the same. And furthermore, to me it sounds like a form of, maybe, 'organised scat' - vocalisings that seem fit for the music/vision. Instead of La-la's, chickaboom's, boom-diddly-diddly-wah-wah's, we get Do-werei's and Rindu's, wehri sundi's and so forth. With the accents printed on them, they look strange on a lyric sheet, but they are just another form of syntax Vander has concocted to convey a unique concept and add to the power of the music. Once this 'barrier' is accepted (it does take time), this incredible troupe of musicians/vocalists just aim to please. This is how I perceive the whole thing anyway.
Not crazy for Portuguese? DisapproveTongue

That's probably why I don't have any problem with them, I see vocals as just another instrument, they can say whatever they like LOL

Man, Merci is not as bad as they say - it sure is an oddity for this particular band, but, dang it, I really dig the Ooh Ooh Baby song. It will always rate as the lowest they can go, but there is one true winner on this album, and that is the magical Eliphas Levi. Really, this album is a compromise as far as the 80's music bizz is concerned. Vander has taken and elaborated on certain tracks from this album to recent times. Though not indicative of the true 'heart' of the band, it still contains material that Vandrr believes in, and that is a good sign. It is still deemed 'too weird' for the mainstream, yet not 'substantial' for those of us that prefer MDK's and Udu Wudu's.......
Yep, Eliphas Levi is pretty good. As a whole, there are just a lot of people here who can't stand Disco, but I quite like their unique weird Disco Tongue
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 15:18
^ I only have the brilliant Quarteto 1111 album Onde Quando Como...........
Portuguese Prog is quite scarce.
I won't come back, I must return
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 16:05
I have many import albums with native tongue vocals; German, Italian, Hungarian, Polish, Swedish, etc.
When listening to these albums I consider the vocals to be just another sound (or instrument as Meltdowner said) and I listen to see how that "sound" blends with the music.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 17:17

^ I only have the brilliant Quarteto 1111 album Onde Quando Como...........
Portuguese Prog is quite scarce.
I won't come back, I must return
My favourite 70's Portuguese Prog album, and it's the only one that was re-released on vinyl... I have it on CD though Wacko I don't care much for lyrics but this one is an exception: the goose bumping Mellotron with the beautiful lyrics always make me cry (in a manly way of course LOL), the genuine expression of joy and freedom Cry It was recorded right after the end of the dictatorship in 1974.

Do you know his spacey/symphonic solo album from 1978? http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=3537 The album on vinyl is quite rare and expensive unfortunately Unhappy
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 01:21
Jose Cid - I don't have this one but I've heard great things about it.
The Quarteto 1111 album is quite special - once I literally applauded when the album ended, it was such a revelatory listen, I was utterly impressed. I rate is a 5 star album, hands down.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 01:29
Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

I have many import albums with native tongue vocals; German, Italian, Hungarian, Polish, Swedish, etc.
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">When listening to these albums I consider the vocals to be just another sound (or instrument as Meltdowner said) and I listen </span><span style="line-height: 1.4;">to see how that "sound" blends with the music.</span>

When I started listening to 'foreign' Prog, I was a bit apprehensive about the different languages, but I came around pretty quickly. Like you say, it's a 'sound' - another 'instrument', and it doesn't matter not understanding the lyrics, but sometimes it would be nice to know the translations, especially bands like Le Orme and Ange. There are some great voices in these bands, too.
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 08:47

I believe that 'Seventh' records is going through their catalogue, starting with their recent albums. This just screams WONDERFUL!! for vinyl buffs.
What else did Seventh do?

Edited by aglasshouse - March 25 2015 at 08:48
http://fryingpanmedia.com
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 13:29
^ As far as I know, Seventh is Magma's label, not sure if they deal with other bands
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2015 at 19:56

Jose Cid - I don't have this one but I've heard great things about it.
The Quarteto 1111 album is quite special - once I literally applauded when the album ended, it was such a revelatory listen, I was utterly impressed. I rate is a 5 star album, hands down.
That José Cid album is full of spacey Mellotron and Moog... and very groovy bass Wink If you get it on CD, get a release that has the EP 'Vida (Sons do Quotidiano)' as a bonus track. Mine unfortunately doesn't have it, and it's really great Thumbs Up

Played this one yesterday, I'm always happy to spin it: it's addictive and bad for the health... of my ears, because of the volume I play it LOL

Last week I went to a great concert of a Portuguese Space Rock band, that coincidentally was being evaluated by me and my PSIKE colleagues (soon on PA Tongue). On my way out, I stopped by the merch stand and was surprised to know that vinyl was the only physical format they were selling their album: just another proof that the music industry is changing Wink Also got a cool limited psychedelic comic book... that fits inside the LP cover, try to do that with a CD LOL

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2015 at 20:48
^ Doing well there, Meltdowner !!
The bottom album looks cool - what's the music like ?
Mirage is always a winner, my fave Camel album, has a Canterbury flavour to much of it. Esp. regarding Barden's fuzzy, swirly Hammond. Supertwister is bliss.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2015 at 06:03
^ Yep, I have now enough LP's to keep me busy Wink

Quoting the bio I wrote: "Their album Hightower, released in 2015, combines several layers of spacey synthesizer, heavy drums and guitar with Post Rock, Krautrock and Stoner Rock influences, resulting in a very hypnotizing experience."
They have the full album here: http://equations.bandcamp.com/
I have to say I don't like the high-pitched vocals much though and I don't even know in what language he is singing. Thankfully the guy doesn't sing much Tongue

There's not a single wasted minute there, amazing from beginning to end. I agree, Barden's work on that album, not only with the Hammond, is really great. Nimrodel is my favourite track Big smile
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2015 at 19:09
That's a cool looking album!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2015 at 19:11
I really like this album.....Especially the packaging

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2015 at 19:50
^ MAGNIFICENT packaging - why does the label look purple ?? Mine are black. GEP have done a wonderful job with the pressing. More than substantial.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2015 at 20:41
^ It's like a deep deep purple, the flash lighten it up. The other side has the "face" like on the cover. I think GEP have different colored labels.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 102103104105106 312>