Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 109110111112113 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2015 at 18:06
^ That track is really weird LOL I don't know much from him, his discography is overwhelming Confused

I received yesterday a LP copy of 10.000 Anos Depois from José Cid that I talked the other day. This is not the very expensive original LP, but a really affordable limited Peruvian release from last year. The quality is WAY better than my CD copy and it could be even better with a better pressing. I'm still really happy with it though, also because it comes with the EP I talked about on side B, contrarily to the original Smile

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 09:23
^ I know that Zappa track is weird.....Essentially how I feel about Zappa music in general, weird and kinda circus, comedic rock/pop/avant garde...I only own one Zappa album, due to my wife loving "Valley Girl" so we have Ship Arriving blah, blah....LOL

That album looks very cool and the vinyl looks in super nice condition....What is the music like?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 13:22
^ I don't know that Zappa album, I only heard the ones that are on the top RIO/Avant-Prog albums and they are quite good Smile

The vinyl is new so, it's in great condition Tongue I didn't show the whole gatefold cover or the poster with art related to the concept, that makes it even cooler Cool The music has Symphonic and Space Rock influences with lots of Mellotron and Moog Wink You can listen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Kttg1rXKYo

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 15:26
psychedelic-space rock......Interesting, never know I might run into a copy somewhere. What label is your copy issued on?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 15:51
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

psychedelic-space rock......Interesting, never know I might run into a copy somewhere. What label is your copy issued on?
The original LP is very rare, probably only 200 copies were pressed when it was released. The Peruvian edition was limited to 300 copies and it's not an official release, but an official release will probably never happen anytime soon. I bought mine from Discogs: http://www.discogs.com/master/view/199594 I knew about this edition from a Portuguese vinyl community on Facebook and they are raving about this, it wouldn't surprise me if all copies vanish Tongue
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Bearded Bard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 17:40
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Cool Great album, and that big cover looks wonderful! *drools* Bet it sounds wonderful on vinyl too.

Edited by The Bearded Bard - April 22 2015 at 17:40
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 19:41
Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

Cool Great album, and that big cover looks wonderful! *drools* Bet it sounds wonderful on vinyl too.

I know huh!! I hate him for having this one LOLWink
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2015 at 10:16
^^ It has some surface noise and some pops here and there, but for me that's good enough. My CD will not see the light of day now Tongue

^ Don't hate me, I'm not special like you LOL
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2015 at 10:52
LOLLOL
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Bearded Bard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2015 at 12:07
LOL
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2015 at 12:26
Don't hate the poster, hate the (record) player.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 15:30
Received the latest re-release by Rush....A Farewell to Kings. One of my all time favorite albums, every song is so well recorded and shows the power of Rush at their proggiest height.

These re-issues are fantastic, all are using the DMM process and meticulously remastered at Abbey Road Studios. It is so nice to hear these songs in all their analog glory again...The nice big sound, deep bass, my original copy is now put away for safe keeping.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 15:48
Awesome, Xanadu and Cygnus X-1 must sound so sweet Big smile I still haven't ordered 2112, I'll probably get both next month Smile
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 16:00
^ The beginning of X-1 is awesome...again! And Xanadu, well just sounds perfect.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 17:39
I can imagine the strange beginning of X-1 and then the bass and drums groovy intro in analog perfection taking my mind elsewhere. I have goose bumps already Big smile

I listened to the Omega album yesterday and it was better than I remembered. It has great guitar work, lots of synths, delayed vocals and clear influences from Eloy (even the accented vocals are an acquired taste LOL), Nektar and Pink Floyd. My problem with it is one of the tracks from side B, that sounds like some kind of Space Punk, forgetable and completely out of context, and also that the first track is the best one Tongue The last track is pretty good too though Smile

Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozark Soundscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 18:32

What's the stupidest/most inaccurate grading you've seen a store give to their records? I was at half priced books today and I picked up an original Led Zeppelin 3 (among other things) for 15 bucks. I'm listening to it now; it's fairly noisy but plays through. But on the sticker where they put it's condition it says "price reflects condition." Like, what the f**k am I supposed to take from that? Either grade it or don't. I'm not mad or anything, I'm happy with the purchase, just find it confusing.

Edited by Ozark Soundscape - April 25 2015 at 18:34
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 19:24
Usually it's just that - price reflects condition. I used to regularly haunt this chain of 2nd Hand record shops which employed a strict code-of-practice by having a grading system utilising little stickers in the top right corners of the LP cover - a gold star meant 'mint', silver star meant 'near mint', maybe odd visible scuffs etc. Then green dot was a notch below that. Yellow dot worse again. Then orange. Then blue. They also had inter-grading by placing a little 'minus' on the tiny sticker. Very pedantic, but reliable.
Otherwise, some folks at record fairs overgrade their stock - so many times their 'near mint' was a yellow dot quality. Some 'idiots' even over-price scratched records - their excuse being 'it's rare'. I don't care how rare a record is, if it's scratched, it should be minimal price
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 19:29

I can imagine the strange beginning of X-1 and then the bass and drums
groovy intro in analog perfection taking my mind elsewhere. I have goose
bumps already Big smile

I listened to the Omega album yesterday and it was better than I remembered. It has great guitar work, lots of synths, delayed vocals and clear influences from Eloy (even the accented vocals are an acquired taste LOL), Nektar and Pink Floyd. My problem with it is one of the tracks from side B, that sounds like some kind of Space Punk, forgetable and completely out of context, and also that the first track is the best one Tongue The last track is pretty good too though Smile

This could well be their strongest effort. I have several Omega records, I love this one, as well as Hall Of Floaters In The Sky, and Nem Tudom A Neved (I don't know your name - I am of Hungarian background). They lost me a bit with Gammapolis - some nice things throughout, but more 'arena/mainstream' rock, with some lush atmospheres.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 23:03
Originally posted by Ozark Soundscape Ozark Soundscape wrote:

What's the stupidest/most inaccurate grading you've seen a store give to their records? I was at half priced books today and I picked up an original Led Zeppelin 3 (among other things) for 15 bucks. I'm listening to it now; it's fairly noisy but plays through. But on the sticker where they put it's condition it says "price reflects condition." Like, what the f**k am I supposed to take from that? Either grade it or don't. I'm not mad or anything, I'm happy with the purchase, just find it confusing.

I use my eyes.....Inspect the vinyl as best I can. Most of the record stores I go to also have TT to test drive the vinyl before purchase. The cartridge is usually a very low quality one and not in best shape, so if it plays ok I know should be pretty good once I get it home and give it a good scrubbing.

Grading would be very subjective in my mind. Glad you enjoy the purchase though!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 12:58
As a kid this album cover kinda freaked me out....With PG wearing that costume, I always wondered what the music was....Now I know it is wonderful!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 109110111112113 312>