Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 113114115116117 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2015 at 04:08
A copy of the 1001 Centigrades LP!  I had so many chances back in the day to pick up Magma LPs and just passed them over.  Now they're a rarity to come by.  Oh, the wide open days when CDs were all the rage; vinyl just sat in closets and sold for pennies at flea markets. Those same LPs now are fetching 50 bucks a copy!

I love those threads on the "latest trip to the record shop"......what was bought, in what condition, for what price.  I always turn any travel into a used LP hunt....find the local record store or charity shop and go bin digging. 
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2015 at 04:16
^ Travel DOES equal RECORD HUNTING !! Not a 'priority' per se, but an added bonus during odd down-time moments. New Orleans was great for this type of behaviour, and NYC too
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2015 at 14:38
^^ The original copies are really expensive but this great reissue wasn't. I'm not obsessed to have originals like some people I know, as long as it sounds good  Wink
I also do that although I don't travel much Tongue

Finished a tiresome workweek and here's my reward Thumbs Up

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2015 at 00:00
^ Very nice haul Mr Sam!! The Roxy stuff is classic.....What is the one on the bottom right?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2015 at 05:34
Thanks! Yeah, I didn't have anything from them, but I was looking for their albums Smile I also finally found a copy of Misplaced Childhood in great condition and gave it a listen (after cleaning them all) for the first time since I started liking Neo Prog and it's incredible, don't you think the drums sound really great on that one? Thumbs Up I also listened to Ricochet (the TD albums are always the ones I'm most excited to have), it sounded so good that I fell asleep on side 2 Embarrassed The one on the right is also Oldfield, it's a live album: it has a fantastic live version of Tubular Bells on the first disc (probably even better than the studio version) and a compressed performance of Incantations on the second.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2015 at 07:37
Agreed - all great albums there, but I don't have the Oldfield ones, in fact, I never could get into him. I only have, on proper cassette tape, Tubular Bells and Islands. Oh, mustn't forget Mike played on some Kevin Ayers albums too, which I have on LP's.
Roxy sound quite Prog on the Viva ! Live album. In fact, they always sounded more 'Prog' live, than in the studio, bar the first 2 masterpieces.
Yep, fallen asleep many times to TD albums, and that's not because of boredom, but because they take me away to a blissfully serene place and sometimes I give in. Some Vangelis albums do that to me too. Just magical.
Having said that, I have crashed out listening to the Messhugah album I have - when you're tired, you're tired.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2015 at 08:40
I didn't know he played with Kevin Ayers, I never listened to his solo albums. Pierre Moerlen played on those two Oldfield albums. I like his music very much, although I don't listen to Incantations often because I hate the second of the four sides... I think I'll skip it the next time I play the album.
That Roxy live album in awesome, I especially like Wetton's bass work, he really improved the songs Clap
That's why I fell asleep too Approve It never happened to me while listening to Metal Tongue
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2015 at 10:35
I only have TB on vinyl, original copy/issue and the sound is spectacular! One of the better recorded pressed albums I own. I never got into anything else he did.
Yes that Misplaced Childhood is fantastic, not just the music but also the pressing, I am a big Ian Mosley fan, I think he is not given enough credit for the Marillion sound.

I have dosed off to some of my Dream Theater vinyl before LOL
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2015 at 10:41
I am very excited for this news from Pro-ject. If you guys have ever looked into vacuum record cleaners they are NOT cheap! I have always wanted a VPI 16.5 RCM but my gosh at $650 I just can't do it. If I had 1,000 or more albums probably could justify.

So I have been looking for years and now seeing this one announced at about $400 I am pretty siked! A vacuum machine to clean vinyl does an amazing job. I took some of my used vinyl to an audio store that has one and they cleaned the vinyl for me and clean as a whistle!

This one looks well built and with really nice parts, keeping my eye on this one for sure.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2015 at 13:09
^^ I was considering getting a vinyl copy of TB on this order, but I already have a copy on CD so it wasn't prioritary Smile
He defined Marillion's sound and so many other Neo Prog bands, that also have that big drum sound.
I can think of some Dream Theater tracks that can put me to sleep LOL

^ That's cool! Can you also use a vacuum cleaner for that? LOL
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2015 at 19:18
I love the sound of Mosley's china - well, he probably uses 2 or 3, but one in particular he hits is a real cracker. Really sharp and bright. His drumming is always a joy to focus on - all the Wolf albums (Darryl Way's band after he left Curved Air) and I believe Ian was in Trace, but I only have their debut with Pierre Van Der Linden.
A very young Mike Oldfield played with Kevin Ayers on Shooting At The Moon and Whatevershebringswesing (between Kevin and Mike they share lead guitar and bass duties) - Mike's work is very detailed even here. Kevin is no slouch on bass, but he never really got into the technical side of playing the way Mike does.
I have a VHS tape of an Oldfield performance with Moerlen on drums, and I think Maggie Reilly on vocals - haven't watched it for, probably 20 years..........(my small but precious VHS collection is still well cared for and stored, any random tape I have chosen to watch has been fine).

Edited by Tom Ozric - May 30 2015 at 19:19
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2015 at 14:39
^ I didn't know he played with Trace, but I also only know the first one.
I really don't know when was the last time I watched a VHS Tongue
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2015 at 14:46
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

That's me if I ever get a copy of Mort Garson's Plantasia or Ascenção e Queda from Petrus Castrus... Youtube is a good friend though Smile

LOL

It was reissued for the first time two months ago, it was ripped from vinyl (there were two pops that didn't come from my record Tongue), but it has really good quality... much better than on Youtube, that's for sure Wink
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2015 at 16:54
^ Never heard/seen that before.......??
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2015 at 18:00
^ The original is very rare, although not as rare as the other one I mentioned Tongue
It's far from being a masterpiece, but it's the most joyful Electronic album I know and has some catchy tunes that get stuck in my head for days Tongue The album has some sentimental value to me, more than the quality of the music Smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2015 at 08:28
A short british documentary about vinyl tourism in Lisbon. I visited the store at 3:30 last December but I only bought Prog Tongue After that they show the most famous Portuguese flea market Smile

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2015 at 16:19
^ Very cool!! Thanks for sharing......later this year wife and I are taking Med cruise to several ports and I hope to carve out some time to vinyl shop. Will spend 3-4 days in Barcelona with friends too.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2015 at 17:58
It was shared by a Portuguese vinyl community and that's something I could share here as well. Most members are from Lisbon, that's really not surprising Tongue
That sounds lovely Smile If you want company to vinyl shop, let me know Thumbs Up
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2015 at 08:28
^ I will remember that and let you know as we get closer to actual trip......Thumbs Up
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2015 at 05:25
^ Ok Smile

I bought this one yesterday, even before the release date Wink

It's a very good collaboration between Franz Ferdinand and Sparks, but it seems more like a Sparks album to me, it has plenty of quirky Prog Pop that is typical of them Smile Curiously, one of the best tracks is called 'Collaborations Don't Work' LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 113114115116117 312>