Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 117118119120121 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 09:44
^ If these are as good as A Passion Play is, then Steven hit another homerun on remixing for vinyl. I am not a Gentle Giant fan, but has anyone heard his remix on Power/Glory vinyl?? 
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 10:08
^ I have his remix of that GG album, but it's on CD and Blu-ray. The 5.1 mix is awesome! ;)
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 14:23

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 16:03
And it's not an healthy addiction: with all the weird Prog I listen I'll become deaf... and crazy WackoLOL

Edited by Meltdowner - July 02 2015 at 16:03
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 17:16
Speaking of TAAB, I just discovered this Spanish album which is older than the Tull album and the cover is also a newspaper Cool

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 17:45
...Everytime Closer.....that looks like a great find!!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 18:40
^ It doesn't seem very difficult to find around here. I'll be looking for a copy: even if the music sucks it's a cool record LOL
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 01:45
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I've just placed my long-standing order with Syn Phonic - 19 records in total - I could've bought a new Fridge for the kitchen, but ours is still going, so............
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 01:48
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

And it's not an healthy addiction: with all the weird Prog I listen I'll become deaf... and crazy
No, just crazy (like me.....)
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 10:41
Safe to say we are all VINYL JUNKIES!!!
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2015 at 02:07
Got these two albums on vinyl yesterday:

http://fryingpanmedia.com
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2015 at 03:03
^ Civilian ain't a bad record TBH. I like it (I gave it a 3 star review years back)
I never could get into that Traffic album, it paled in comparison to Low Spark......
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2015 at 11:42
It sorta does- doesn't have as much creative aspects as Low Spark. I thought that Roll Right Stones was much more interesting than the Low Spark title track to be honest, but in the end Rainmaker still is my favorite song of theirs and Low Spark is more consistent (although much of Traffic's music is just a bag of different compositions). 
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2015 at 18:52
^ That's about right - Traffic albums were never really consistent as such. They just played whatever tickled their fancy. John Barleycorn was about the only one with a natural flow.
The Low Spark title-track is pure bliss for me - just love the total laid-back groove with Winwood fuzzing his organ in an almost Canterbury-esque fashion. Rainmaker is pure gold as well !!
So, what of the GG then ?? Poppy it may be (more convincing than Giant For A Day), it just crackles with energy, really rocking, but well thought out too. I don't care much for Number One, but the rest is fine, especially Shadows, Underground, Convenience and the longer track (which isn't too long, really.....I forget the name). Missing the amazing complexity of earlier works, though what they do here isn't that simple if you don't know your sh*t.

Edited by Tom Ozric - July 04 2015 at 18:55
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2015 at 22:19
Even though Giant went commercial after Missing Piece I think that Civilian did it right. Well, maybe not exactly right, but definitely better than Giant For A Day. Convenience and All Through the Night were some of the more surprising GG songs that I encountered, and Shadows was excellent (even though during my listening session it kept skipping towards the end). Overall the album is an enjoyable experience. It's mostly due to it just simply being different. The seventies showed GG having these sparkling compositions that showed off as much material as they possibly could, while Civilian gives off a vibe of more laid back rock. Many people would call that uninspired and lazy, but I call it a different kind of genius.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2015 at 23:57
^
Take a close look at that end but where your vinyl skips - perhaps there's something lodged in the groove ?? If so, with your pinky fingernail, GENTLY scrape over the top and see if you can remove said 'foreigner'. If not, get a damp, soft cloth and buff firmly over that section. I'd say 78 % chance it may be fixable. If the actual groove is scratched or damaged, then bummer.
Check out Ray's bass playing, so vibrant and lively. As you say, a 'different' GG.
They had commercial elements in their music as far back as Free Hand, I think.
The first 6 albums all knock my sox off, and I've bought Giant For A Day twice, and ditched it both times shortly afterwards. I just couldn't dig it. I think I frisbee'd the first copy.
Daysbetween View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daysbetween Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2015 at 04:01
I am away from home and missing my vinyl. Having to make do with FLAC files on my iBasso withe earbuds outdoors and studio quality phones indoors. Only GG I have with me is a rip of Octopus.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2015 at 10:06
Originally posted by Daysbetween Daysbetween wrote:

I am away from home and missing my vinyl. Having to make do with FLAC files on my iBasso withe earbuds outdoors and studio quality phones indoors. Only GG I have with me is a rip of Octopus.

You should have one of these........LOLLOL

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2015 at 10:28
^ LOL

^^ I know the feeling, I don't have a TT for two weeks (tried to fix it myself but ended up taking it to someone else) and it's sad, especially when I have a pile of 10 new LP's staring at me Cry
Daysbetween View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daysbetween Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2015 at 11:35
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ LOL

^^ I know the feeling, I don't have a TT for two weeks (tried to fix it myself but ended up taking it to someone else) and it's sad, especially when I have a pile of 10 new LP's staring at me Cry

What have you been buying?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 117118119120121 312>