Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 120121122123124 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2015 at 21:03
All of these Rush reissues are amazing, they are done with such care and attention to detail, just like a live rush show.
The much anticipated Moving Pictures arrived today in the mailbox, like the others the album cover is a replica of the original issue. The lyric sheet is the same, other than being a separate sheet as these reissues come with a nice protective sleeve.

The mastering work at Abbey Road is impeccable, the tracks are done so nice this really rivals my copy mastered by Bob Ludwig, which is the premiere version.
I have the Deluxe Box CD set from few years ago which includes a 24bit/96kHz hi-rez album, this vinyl kills that version!

Do yourself a favor and get this classic album

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2015 at 06:01
^ Very nice! The store I ordered from, already has my copy, I'm just waiting for them to receive the other albums I bought. No rush though (pun intended), since I still don't have a TT... I miss vinyl very much, I'm so bored with CD's now Disapprove
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2015 at 06:19
http://coloredvinylrecords.com/blog/25-unusual-and-creative-records/
I didn't know most of these, there are some really stupid ones LOL
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2015 at 06:51
^ Some look cool, but do they sound any good ??
These days, plain solid colours (or translucent) and 'spatter' vinyls are just fine. Pic-Discs look good, but can be marred with tiny bubbles which may affect play. Even 'laser etched' vinyls (Styx - Paradise Theater and Split Enz - True Colours) sound really good (though I ditched the Styx album years ago - not a good album at all, though select tracks are great in concert). Anything beyond this couldn't possibly be effective.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2015 at 07:08
^ Most of them probably not, and there's also the issue of damaging the needle Ermm
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2015 at 12:10
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

All of these Rush reissues are amazing, they are done with such care and attention to detail, just like a live rush show.
The much anticipated Moving Pictures arrived today in the mailbox, like the others the album cover is a replica of the original issue. The lyric sheet is the same, other than being a separate sheet as these reissues come with a nice protective sleeve.

The mastering work at Abbey Road is impeccable, the tracks are done so nice this really rivals my copy mastered by Bob Ludwig, which is the premiere version.
I have the Deluxe Box CD set from few years ago which includes a 24bit/96kHz hi-rez album, this vinyl kills that version!

I'd be curious to hear these alongside the original 70's/80's vinyl versions. I have these and the CD remaster boxes from a couple of years back but a little reluctant to shell out for new vinyl versions.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2015 at 12:23
Just got this new Echolyn album on vinyl - lovely sound. Smile

and Chron Goblin (not played yet)

Edited by Nightfly - August 07 2015 at 12:27
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2015 at 18:32
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I'd be curious to hear these alongside the original 70's/80's vinyl versions. I have these and the CD remaster boxes from a couple of years back but a little reluctant to shell out for new vinyl versions.

That's why I wrote it rivals the Bob Ludwig mastered version I have, original issue, which is the premiere issue people look for due to Bob Ludwig. I am buying these because most of my original issues are played so much and I would prefer to put them away for safe keeping. So far all the reissues are much better than the originals. The only one that comes close to the same is Hemispheres, but having a copy with ZERO surface noise is worth it.

This vinyl also blows away my CD versions, of course on my system, YMMV.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2015 at 18:35
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

http://coloredvinylrecords.com/blog/25-unusual-and-creative-records/
I didn't know most of these, there are some really stupid ones LOL

I have seen some of these, the x-ray ones are cool. I remember those blood filled ones and liquid filled, would never buy one.....NASTY!!! GERMS!!! Dead

For collectors only, I suspect SQ wise they are just ok to not very good. I would not play most of these using a higher quality cartridge. Thumbs Down
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2015 at 22:46
Great explanation by Brett on the file types they have for the last two albums and the differences between hi-rez digital and the hi-rez vinyl versions.

He explains exactly why I prefer vinyl, usually, over hi-rez digital files......It's the mastering that makes the huge difference.

I had the pleasure last week to audition DSD digital files thru a very nice audio system, with a $1,500 DSD DAC..It was amazing!! Problem is not much is available as DSD native files, so not for me.

I love my vinyl. Hoping Greg @ Synphonic has my Echolyn vinyl copy ready to mail soon!!! 

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2015 at 22:58
^ Ditto - the new Echolyn !!
Well, judging by your analysis on the MP re-issue Jose, it must sound absolutely BRILLIANT. I have a U.K. pressing on Mercury, and I can't believe they could improve on perfection !   Rush never sounded better on any other album. 5 star MASTERPIECE.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2015 at 09:37
^ I agree with you, I have always read the UK pressings are excellent. These Abbey Road mastering's are fantastic! The space, air and sound stage you hear is tremendous, just like the Zeppelin remasters, this is the only way to hear Rush........Vinyl!!
Thumbs Up
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2015 at 10:56
^ Think I'll have to get a new vinyl version of A Farewell To Kings after your enthusiastic words, it being my favourite Rush album. My old copy has had tons of play and clicks and pops here and there. 

I understand 2112 projects a hologram when playing.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2015 at 01:23
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

^ Think I'll have to get a new vinyl version of A Farewell To Kings after your enthusiastic words, it being my favourite Rush album. My old copy has had tons of play and clicks and pops here and there. 

I understand 2112 projects a hologram when playing.

Yes it does, place a light above the label and a small hologram of a starman hovers over.....pretty cool.
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2015 at 15:25
I've done some comparisons of vinyl rips from the same rig (excellent, but not mine) of the Rush reissues and the original issues. I have to say that the reissues have come out on top every single time, from Rush to Hemispheres, even as good as the originals sound. So clean, rich, no smiley-face boosting like on so many reissues. The most dramatic differences IMO are A Farewell to Kings and Caress of Steel.
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2015 at 16:38
^ Good news Todd as A Farewell To Kings is my favourite. Thumbs Up
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2015 at 09:15
Not that CNN is all that, but nice article preparing for Vinyl Record Day, the unofficial holiday which I think is loosely based on Edison's creation of the phonograph. I am sure there will be more articles in the next 24 hours.......Spin some vinyl on Aug 12, 2015!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2015 at 09:39
^ Can you spin a record for me? Tongue
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2015 at 09:41
Seriously, how can someone read this Hawkwind CD booklet? Ouch

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2015 at 09:43
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ Can you spin a record for me? Tongue

Ur killing me.......When does that new TT arrive??
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 120121122123124 312>