Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 125126127128129 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2015 at 15:11
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ Did you buy the new one as well?
You seem to remember every detail about the Rush concerts you attended Tongue
It's a good compromise between Prog and more radio friendly Rock Smile

And finally:

I spent two hours configuring it, the instructions were very confusing, but fortunately there are videos on Youtube teaching how to do it. I only got it working after seeing a specific video that taught it for people that doesn't understand anything about it LOL
It is incredibly silent, it's like there isn't a motor running next to it, and I heard something I never heard before... static Tongue When I started playing the album the first thing I noticed was the thin sound of the needle (I know you warned me about it José Tongue), but this one has so much more sound clarity and detail. It's definitely much better than my previous TT, but there's already room for improvement Wink
By the way, it comes with two mats, felt and cork. Which one is better? Ermm

Hi Sam...sorry for late reply..Just returned from Cancun with my wife for about a week gone.....Beach, drink and good food!!

Glad you finally got the TT. Yes the 2M Red is not my fav cartridge, but what it does is get you higher up the quality chain than what you had before. It will give you upgradeitus LOL....You will want to now know what better sounds like. Believe me, what you have now will sound much better than previous and any upgrades will get you closer to analog bliss!

The Project does have a motor housing issue that sounds like you solved it, just Google it and you will see, but it is fixable. I would not use the felt mat, use the cork one, felt will give you more static.
Make sure you also pay attention to the azimuth adjustment, when dialed in perfectly you will hear great separation and sound stage. There are many ways to do that, for right now I would use the mirror method under the stylus, again google that you will find tons of information. The cartridge needs about 30 hours to fully bloom, give it time, if still sounds thin, you can try lowering the tonearm (VTA adjustment) a tiny bit to see if the bass improves. Rule is tail down more bass, tail up more treble. Normally you want the top of the cartridge level with the platter. You are only looking for about 2-3mm of up or down change.

The humming might also be the cable it came with, may not be the best at blocking out RF noises. Remember a cartridge has a very small output so any electrical disturbances will be picked up and you will hear them. I replaced my cables with really higher end ones from Morrow Audio, whatever you get make sure they are made for TT as they need to be shielded very well and don't forget the earth wire. 

Once you give the 2M Red time to break in and you listen for awhile, we can discuss what you might be looking for and I can give you some suggestions within your budget.
What a better analog deck will do is make clean new vinyl sound brilliant but yet your older flea market find vinyl sound worse, it should not hide anything.

If I was there we could go thru the setup together and I could show you all the tricks.....but I will help you either way.

Congrats on the new toy Smile
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2015 at 15:16
This is a thumbs up for me......I personally do not stream anything, home or on the go. On the go I have a media player that holds my music.
Really to each his own, but I am in the "own physical media" camp.

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2015 at 17:21
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Hi Sam...sorry for late reply..Just returned from Cancun with my wife for about a week gone.....Beach, drink and good food!!

Glad you finally got the TT. Yes the 2M Red is not my fav cartridge, but what it does is get you higher up the quality chain than what you had before. It will give you upgradeitus LOL....You will want to now know what better sounds like. Believe me, what you have now will sound much better than previous and any upgrades will get you closer to analog bliss!

The Project does have a motor housing issue that sounds like you solved it, just Google it and you will see, but it is fixable. I would not use the felt mat, use the cork one, felt will give you more static.
Make sure you also pay attention to the azimuth adjustment, when dialed in perfectly you will hear great separation and sound stage. There are many ways to do that, for right now I would use the mirror method under the stylus, again google that you will find tons of information. The cartridge needs about 30 hours to fully bloom, give it time, if still sounds thin, you can try lowering the tonearm (VTA adjustment) a tiny bit to see if the bass improves. Rule is tail down more bass, tail up more treble. Normally you want the top of the cartridge level with the platter. You are only looking for about 2-3mm of up or down change.

The humming might also be the cable it came with, may not be the best at blocking out RF noises. Remember a cartridge has a very small output so any electrical disturbances will be picked up and you will hear them. I replaced my cables with really higher end ones from Morrow Audio, whatever you get make sure they are made for TT as they need to be shielded very well and don't forget the earth wire. 

Once you give the 2M Red time to break in and you listen for awhile, we can discuss what you might be looking for and I can give you some suggestions within your budget.
What a better analog deck will do is make clean new vinyl sound brilliant but yet your older flea market find vinyl sound worse, it should not hide anything.

If I was there we could go thru the setup together and I could show you all the tricks.....but I will help you either way.

That's OK, it sounds like you had some well deserved vacations Smile

I'm enjoying the sound as it is now, I hope it will continue for a while LOL

That's what I thought about the mat, I've been using the cork one. I didn't know about the 30 hours thing but I noticed the bass improved. According to the manual, the azimuth and VTA are already adjusted to the 2M Red. I'll investigate after listening some more.

There's not much humming now but that annoying high-pitched noise I hear during the day obviously got worse with the new TT. Some good cables can probably solve it, or at least attenuate it? Ermm

Thanks for your suggestions so far Smile I think you're right about the bad quality vinyl, but I noticed even more the upgrade on old records in good condition: I listened to KC's Lizard the other day and it got so much detail and clarity out of it, I felt like I never really listened to it before. I had goose bumps the whole time Big smile

That would be an hell of a plane trip for a TT setup LOL

Thanks Thumbs Up
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2015 at 17:32

This is a thumbs up for me......I personally do not stream anything, home or on the go. On the go I have a media player that holds my music.
Really to each his own, but I am in the "own physical media" camp.

He learned something from his friend Mr. Fripp Tongue I stream at work for practical reasons, to discover new music and also for collaborator work here. It's how I listen to music most of the time, that's why I need to compensate with vinyl at home Wink
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2015 at 15:29
I would dbl check the factory install, just to be sure. That tonearm should have a white line going down the middle of the tube, it is meant for you to measure the horizontal state of the arm to the platter. Measure the line at different points and adjust if need, with the tonearm on the platter, becareful. Get a ruler and use a cheap throw away vinyl and measure the distance from the line to the top of the vinyl, should be all the same. From there you can play with the angle to suit the sound to your taste.

Azimuth is tougher and takes patience, just Google it. All cartridges need some break in time for the cantilever, when new they can be very stiff..Just keep playing vinyl.

If you have any video cables laying around, you know the yellow/red/green/blue ones, you can try those and see if it helps the humming, since those cables will be shielded well.

have fun!

Edited by Catcher10 - September 30 2015 at 15:30
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2015 at 21:55
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2015 at 00:37
Cancun eh, Jose??..........you lucky duck !!
............a well deserved break from P.A. no doubt
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2015 at 05:50
^^^ Hell yeah LOL
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2015 at 05:52

Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ Did you buy the new one as well?
You seem to remember every detail about the Rush concerts you attended Tongue
It's a good compromise between Prog and more radio friendly Rock Smile

And finally:

I spent two hours configuring it, the instructions were very confusing, but fortunately there are videos on Youtube teaching how to do it. I only got it working after seeing a specific video that taught it for people that doesn't understand anything about it LOL
It is incredibly silent, it's like there isn't a motor running next to it, and I heard something I never heard before... static Tongue When I started playing the album the first thing I noticed was the thin sound of the needle (I know you warned me about it José Tongue), but this one has so much more sound clarity and detail. It's definitely much better than my previous TT, but there's already room for improvement Wink
By the way, it comes with two mats, felt and cork. Which one is better? Ermm

Hell yess lol 
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2015 at 11:14
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Cancun eh, Jose??..........you lucky duck !!
............a well deserved break from P.A. no doubt

You know it my friend!!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2015 at 09:50
Off the Kscope website on the SW page.......Love it! Clap

Biography

PLAYING THE LONG GAME: STEVEN WILSON FLIES THE FLAG FOR THE ALBUM FORMAT

‘Would you watch a movie by starting with the end sequence and then seeing a bit in the middle? Would you begin a novel at Chapter Seven and then go to Chapter One?’
It’s a fair point. You wouldn’t. And yet in the age of the download, it’s precisely what most of us do with albums. We rarely listen to them in sequence – in fact we rarely listen to them in their *entirety*.
Which is why Steven Wilson once appeared on Sky News destroying a series of iPods in amusing and imaginative ways. He exploded one with a rifle. He set fire to another. He ran over a third with a steamroller. He wanted to point out – and did so magnificently – that once you break a narrative album into its component tracks and stick them in a database on ‘random play’, it runs a strong chance of making absolutely no sense at all. And that’s the kind of record he likes to make. 

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2015 at 20:32

This is the remastered/remixed version..much better detail to the music. The volume is a bit low but it does sound really nice, one of my better ones.

Edited by Catcher10 - October 02 2015 at 20:33
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2015 at 21:31
I'll drink to that quote from K-Scope a few posts up !! Clever find, Jose.

Edited by Tom Ozric - October 02 2015 at 21:41
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2015 at 21:31
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2015 at 22:23
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2015 at 22:36
^ Two GREAT albums in a row.............
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2015 at 22:49
I am pushing the speakers pretty hard tonight........so much fun!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2015 at 23:32
^ You always have to catch up on some serious ear-candy after a vacation to exotic places..........
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2015 at 11:02
^ Ain't that the truth brother! Will continue tonight.....
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2015 at 11:22

I would dbl check the factory install, just to be sure. That tonearm should have a white line going down the middle of the tube, it is meant for you to measure the horizontal state of the arm to the platter. Measure the line at different points and adjust if need, with the tonearm on the platter, becareful. Get a ruler and use a cheap throw away vinyl and measure the distance from the line to the top of the vinyl, should be all the same. From there you can play with the angle to suit the sound to your taste.

Azimuth is tougher and takes patience, just Google it. All cartridges need some break in time for the cantilever, when new they can be very stiff..Just keep playing vinyl.

If you have any video cables laying around, you know the yellow/red/green/blue ones, you can try those and see if it helps the humming, since those cables will be shielded well.

have fun!
I looked at it while it was playing and it didn't seem totally horizontal. I'll have to measure it another day.

I think I try one of those some months ago and it didn't change anything.

I'm having a serious problem now: I was going to play some Maiden today, but the right channel wasn't working, like if it was disconnected, with a constant buzz. It appears that the red cable isn't properly connected to the cartridge but I don't know how to fix it Ouch

Are those cables disconnectable? There's also some noise when I touch the red cable Ermm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 125126127128129 312>