Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 126127128129130 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2015 at 12:53
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I would dbl check the factory install, just to be sure. That tonearm should have a white line going down the middle of the tube, it is meant for you to measure the horizontal state of the arm to the platter. Measure the line at different points and adjust if need, with the tonearm on the platter, becareful. Get a ruler and use a cheap throw away vinyl and measure the distance from the line to the top of the vinyl, should be all the same. From there you can play with the angle to suit the sound to your taste.

Azimuth is tougher and takes patience, just Google it. All cartridges need some break in time for the cantilever, when new they can be very stiff..Just keep playing vinyl.

If you have any video cables laying around, you know the yellow/red/green/blue ones, you can try those and see if it helps the humming, since those cables will be shielded well.

have fun!
I looked at it while it was playing and it didn't seem totally horizontal. I'll have to measure it another day.

I think I try one of those some months ago and it didn't change anything.

I'm having a serious problem now: I was going to play some Maiden today, but the right channel wasn't working, like if it was disconnected, with a constant buzz. It appears that the red cable isn't properly connected to the cartridge but I don't know how to fix it Ouch

Are those cables disconnectable? There's also some noise when I touch the red cable Ermm

The cartridge headshell cables are very delicate. Do not use your fingers to remove and install them, use small tweezers and only hold onto the gold part, not the black part. If they are super tight to slide on, get a toothpick and use it to spread open the gold connector a bit. Once installed you should never have to fool with them. It sounds like you have a feedback issue or electrical loop issue, make sure the earthwire is installed, if so also try removing it and see if that helps, makes worse or no change. Check the wall plug and if you can swap to another plug.....Touching the wires and getting feedback is a normally a grounding issue. Take the toothpick and try to straighten out the wires some so they are not touching each other.

Dbl check all your connections at both ends....carefully pull on the red wire, it should not be loose, if it is that may be your problem..You can try with the tweezers to squeeze the black part and see if that tightens the crimp better. You are still under warranty so as long as you don't break anything you can try DIY fix, but I still think it might be a grounding issue.

Let me know what you find.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2015 at 17:41
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2015 at 17:44
Side 3.......27:01 minutes of prog goodness The Great Nothing

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2015 at 18:37

The cartridge headshell cables are very delicate. Do not use your fingers to remove and install them, use small tweezers and only hold onto the gold part, not the black part. If they are super tight to slide on, get a toothpick and use it to spread open the gold connector a bit. Once installed you should never have to fool with them. It sounds like you have a feedback issue or electrical loop issue, make sure the earthwire is installed, if so also try removing it and see if that helps, makes worse or no change. Check the wall plug and if you can swap to another plug.....Touching the wires and getting feedback is a normally a grounding issue. Take the toothpick and try to straighten out the wires some so they are not touching each other.

Dbl check all your connections at both ends....carefully pull on the red wire, it should not be loose, if it is that may be your problem..You can try with the tweezers to squeeze the black part and see if that tightens the crimp better. You are still under warranty so as long as you don't break anything you can try DIY fix, but I still think it might be a grounding issue.

Let me know what you find.
I tried to move it with the tweezers but it doesn't move at all, but it should, since it's necessary to change the cartridge Confused I don't know if it's feedback, It doesn't play anything on the right channel. Dammit, I'm having more trouble than fun with this TT Ouch

On another topic, great selections Thumbs Up What are those glowing lines on The Incident?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2015 at 19:01
The 2m Red is a user replaceable stylus, make sure the stylus is pushed in very good. Read the instructions on how to remove it, then pull it off and put back. If that does nothing then swap the cables on the receiver and see if the left channel has no sound, that would rule out any problem with the receiver.

Make sure the cables from the TT are fitting well. Does your table have a RCA box like this? Make sure the cables are in good shape, try another set any RCA cables. The other thing is to make sure the stylus tip is nice and clean, no dust bunnies hanging on, use the brush that came with the cartridge to carefully clean it, always wipe from back to front.

Edited by Catcher10 - October 03 2015 at 19:03
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2015 at 23:44
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2015 at 00:05

1/2 Speed Remaster by Nick Davis (Rhino Records)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2015 at 05:45

The 2m Red is a user replaceable stylus, make sure the stylus is pushed in very good. Read the instructions on how to remove it, then pull it off and put back. If that does nothing then swap the cables on the receiver and see if the left channel has no sound, that would rule out any problem with the receiver.

Make sure the cables from the TT are fitting well. Does your table have a RCA box like this? Make sure the cables are in good shape, try another set any RCA cables. The other thing is to make sure the stylus tip is nice and clean, no dust bunnies hanging on, use the brush that came with the cartridge to carefully clean it, always wipe from back to front.
I was able to remove it and tried everything you mentioned and it still doesn't work. When I swap there's no sound on the left channel. I think I'll pack it and bring it to the store, I just hope the things I tried won't cancel the warranty Confused

That must sound great! I should replace mine, it's full of pops and a bit worned out Tongue
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2015 at 09:15
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I was able to remove it and tried everything you mentioned and it still doesn't work. When I swap there's no sound on the left channel. I think I'll pack it and bring it to the store, I just hope the things I tried won't cancel the warranty Confused

That must sound great! I should replace mine, it's full of pops and a bit worned out Tongue

Don't tell them you did anything, which you did not anyways. Just tell them to fix it, it was fine then nothing.....

The best replacement/remaster album ever. Nick Davis did an amazing job of lifting the veil off these first Genesis albums, the originals were always bad, now that you have a better analog rig you will notice how bad they are, and then how brilliant the reissues are.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2015 at 10:07
Yeah, it's true. By coincidence I was listening to the first Iron Maiden album, which was the one I was listening when my other TT stopped working. I'm starting to think it's cursed Confused Already packed it, I'll probably go to the store later today. Good thing I didn't sell my old one Ermm

I could already notice it before, especially on my copy of Trespass (a Portuguese pressing, which makes it even worse LOL). I'll have to look into those Thumbs Up

Edited by Meltdowner - October 05 2015 at 11:08
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2015 at 17:24
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pastmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2015 at 18:51
^One of my favorite Dream Theater albums, that's quite the cool design on the record. Big smile
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2015 at 18:57
^ It's an excellent album, my fav will always be Train of Thought. This one sounds incredible too on vinyl, they did an outstanding job going from digital to analog. There are sounds I don't hear on the CD version, sublime sounds that make the experience really nice.....
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2015 at 06:34
I took the TT to the store last week and I'm waiting for it now. I replaced it with my older one but I was already used to the sound of the other that it was awful to listen Dead I got a bit more used to it after a few LP's though.

I heard a couple of albums for the first time this week:

A live version of Fire! Orchestra's Exit, I don't have the studio album though Tongue It's limited to 500 copies and the cover is blank, that's why I didn't take a photo of it.

This one is from an excellent Finnish Jazz trio I saw last week and it's a audiophile 200g vinyl. It sounded great, even on my current set up.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2015 at 06:49
Vinyl orders I'm waiting for...

Elephant9 with Reine Fiske - Silver Mountain  (2xLP limited 150 copies white vinyl with bonus CD)
Wo Fat - Live Juju: Wo Fat At Freak Valley  (limited 500 copies on black vinyl)
Wo Fat - The Conjuring  (limited 250 copies on red vinyl)
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2015 at 09:25
Just giving this first Jex Thoth album a spin which arrived today...

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2015 at 20:54
I have been spinning a lot of my older vinyl that I have neglected over the past 10yrs......It's been a lot of fun hearing some of these older albums.
Not many pics I have but bands like:
The Cars
The Police
Santana
ELO
Eric Clapton
AC/DC
Earth Wind & Fire
Michael Jackson

Lots of fun!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2015 at 16:46
^ Yeah, sometimes it's good to make a Prog pause and listen to plenty of music from other genres Smile

I have my TT working again and arrived soon than I expected. It seems the red wire was defective. This time I mounted it much faster and more accurately, especially the counterweight adjustment: I was able to align the tonearm more horizontally than before and now there's more bass Thumbs Up
I tested with a brand new KC album Wink

And after that, I listened to a mint US pressing of this great album from New Zealand that reminds me of Supertramp:

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2015 at 01:49
^ Mental Notes is eccentric as it gets !! Mad album. Amongst the very first Prog vinyls I acquired in the mid-80's. Love The Enz, followed them to the end (See Ya 'Round). All of their albums have some great material. Then along came Crowded House (half of Enz) and Schnell Fenster (the other half of Enz).
I never could get into Acca Dacca (AC/DC as we know them here).
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2015 at 10:22
^ I agree, it's a really eccentric album Big smile I'll have to look into their next albums sometime. I didn't know Crowded House was half of Split Enz, they were quite successful around here.

This album is on my top 10 albums of 2015, and I have a cool comic drawn by the band about the album's concept, that enhances the psychedelic experience Cool

Edited by Meltdowner - October 17 2015 at 10:22
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 126127128129130 312>