Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 153154155156157 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Anaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anaon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2016 at 14:48
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Originally posted by Anaon Anaon wrote:

Yes I am Handshake 
Wow ! Your tunes sound great - any thoughts of vinyl pressings (nudge nudge, wink wink) .......

Hey thank you! I truly appreciate! Wink
Vinyl pressings of my albums? Well... I would love to release something in vinyl of course but it would only be for the visual aesthetic, it would not add anything sonically as I record "in the box", digitally unfortunately. I guess I could do a special mastering for vinyl like many artists do these days but I admit my knowledge is very limited about it...
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2016 at 16:33
Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

^  Excellent haul, Sam.  Thumbs Up
Thanks Gary Smile I'm especially happy to have Camel's debut (that's how I found the seller in the first place) and more classic RPI albums. The Astral Son and QVL are coloured by the way Wink

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Meltdowner,
Nice copy of The Nice....I found a used copy of that about a month ago at a used store that sold antiques. It was beat up with no sleeve and the dumb store owner was asking $15 for it. I told her there was no way I would play that on my table especially for $15....she looked at me like I was from Mars.
LOL
I have a similar story, an antique store owner was trying to sell me a copy of Ashes Are Burning in terrible condition and the cover was all scribbled for the modest amount of 20€... I'm not sure if he was an idiot or a crook LOL I actually got that Nice LP for free Thumbs Up

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

^^^ Outstanding Sam......That Traffic is excellent! And so is Platinum......

Sadly, I will be spinning a lot of Earth, Wind & Fire this weekend....With the passing of Maurice White this will be my mourning weekend of music Cry. An amazing musical mind, a genius at his craft.....
I started listening to Traffic a couple of years ago but never saw any copy of their albums. You also like Platinum? Shocked It has such a low rating here but I really enjoy it, it's a lot of fun Clap

Disapprove I already spun my copy of Spirit tonight.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2016 at 17:25
^ Platinum I have a digital copy Dead.....Never seen a vinyl version. I don't pay attention to ratings here or anywhere.
Anaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anaon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2016 at 10:23

Now spinning... First time I notice hands are different on these covers (UK pressing on the left and US pressing on the right). The US pressing is mint. Which one to keep?

Do you keep mint copies over original not so mint pressings? Do you keep both?

Edited by Anaon - February 07 2016 at 10:24
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2016 at 11:13
^^ I think it's the third time I came across a vinyl copy of it, but only got it now.

^ That's cool, even the angle of the frame is different Tongue My Portuguese pressing has the US cover with a darker printing (there are no details in the furniture) and image was cut around, so the hand looks bigger. I would keep both.
Anaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anaon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2016 at 11:22
It's weird how covers can change... Anyone know why?
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2016 at 12:47
^^^  There's no reason not to keep both. I have both import and domestic copies of a few albums. 
Sometimes the cover is different and sometimes it's the same.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2016 at 13:21
Originally posted by Anaon Anaon wrote:

It's weird how covers can change... Anyone know why?

I think it is licensing agreements, between say publisher in the UK vs the one in the US, they can't use the same images, without paying big time money, so it's cheaper to create a different cover image.

Keep both, probably different sounding as the pressing plants are different I am sure. It was well known in the late 60's that some UK mixes and pressings were bass thin, for some reason UK engineers pulled the bass down on mixing. I think it was Jimmy Page who brought this up in some documentary I saw, it's why early LZ albums feature Bonham with big drum sounds, Page wanted the "US" bass mix.
Anaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anaon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2016 at 13:39
Interesting Smile

Well I guess it's part of the collection to keep various covers of the same album, I wonder as well about the quality of the pressing, I didn't listen to the US pressing yet but I'll compare, the UK pressing sounds great by the way Wink
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2016 at 13:58
^  In my small group of album collector friends it was assumed that an import pressing would be better than a US pressing.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2016 at 14:51

One of the records I was looking for the most since it's one of my favourite Camel albums and because this edition was recommended to me as the best sounding one, even more than the first pressing. I don't have the first pressing to compare but this 80's German reissue (in mint condition Wink) has a really clear sound, especially the vocals and acoustic guitar, but very powerful too. It's just amazing Clap

So good to finally have some PFM in my collection and it's a really good reissue too. It's too bad they didn't reissued Per Un Amico, although I think I'm crazy enough for that album to buy a first pressing Tongue
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2016 at 15:07

^  In my small group of album collector friends it was assumed that an import pressing would be better than a US pressing.

Pretty much anything I have that is pressed in UK ie Optimal GmbH, Pallas, GZ is very good quality, surface noise is pretty low to zero, QC is very good. Don't confuse pressing with mixing....Plenty very well pressed albums are the sh^t for SQ due to bad mixing.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2016 at 15:08
Hey Sam can you share the deadwax info on that Camel also spine record number......I see that one and not sure which is best sounding.
Thanks Thumbs Up
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2016 at 15:20

Hey Sam can you share the deadwax info on that Camel also spine record number......I see that one and not sure which is best sounding.
Thanks Thumbs Up

It's this one: https://www.discogs.com/Camel-Camel/release/3049656
I think all the information is there.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2016 at 16:04

Pretty much anything I have that is pressed in UK ie Optimal GmbH, Pallas, GZ is very good quality, surface noise is pretty low to zero, QC is very good. Don't confuse pressing with mixing....Plenty very well pressed albums are the sh^t for SQ due to bad mixing.

I'm talking about the quality of the vinyl. In the mid to later 70s some labels were into mass production and when that happens sometimes the quality goes down. I have some albums that are thinner (which sometimes leads to slight warping) and the edges are rough rather than ground smooth. When the physical quality is poor it can also effect the sound no matter how well it was recorded in the studio.
I have some UK pressings that are high quality and also some German pressings that are exceptional quality.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2016 at 16:11

I'm talking about the quality of the vinyl. In the mid to later 70s some labels were into mass production and when that happens sometimes the quality goes down. I have some albums that are thinner (which sometimes leads to slight warping) and the edges are rough rather than ground smooth. When the physical quality is poor it can also effect the sound no matter how well it was recorded in the studio.
I have some UK pressings that are high quality and also some German pressings that are exceptional quality.

Yup I agree......my screw on clamp corrects any warp, for the most part everything plays flat for me.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2016 at 16:12
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Thanks Thumbs Up

It's this one: https://www.discogs.com/Camel-Camel/release/3049656
I think all the information is there.

grassyass!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2016 at 20:52
Arrived today from Radiant Records, pressed in Germany, very nice quality, zero surface noise. My only complaint is the record sleeves are cheap non printed paper, will change those. This is a 3-LP set as Snow is a loooong album, it did include the 2-CDs, this is the Clear Vinyl version.
The SQ is very nice, mastered for vinyl, sound levels are good not pushed/compressed. There is dynamics, and air around instruments vocals are not pushed either, so a good balance. Some of the synth sounds are too loud but really not bad at all.
Gatefold has all the lyrics.

Edited by Catcher10 - February 08 2016 at 20:53
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2016 at 12:40
^ That sounds (and looks) fantastic! Thumbs Up I heard the album probably four times since I bought it last year and I still can't hear it in one sitting. You have a Spock's Beard coaster now LOL
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2016 at 13:05
^^ Hopefully Greg at Syn Phonic gets some copies of Snow in. I wasn't even aware it went to wax yet
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 153154155156157 312>