Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 154155156157158 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2016 at 13:44
Yes 2 CD coasters....LOL. I got thru side 4 last night. It's Mardi Gras today, Ash Wed tomorrow....so I will have to wait till Friday night to finish probably.

I get emails from Radiant Records, supposedly only 300 of the clear vinyl were to be issued.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2016 at 14:04
I'm looking at getting 2 more......Day for Night and Beware of Darkness. Both released in January.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2016 at 14:22
^ Beware of Darkness too? Shocked I'll look into that as well Thumbs Up
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2016 at 14:30
^ Also the first 3 Transatlantic albums are coming out on vinyl too. Whirlwind came out on vinyl originally but did not last long, I think it came out on orange vinyl and was a 3-LP set, the new one is a 2-LP set with another coaster added in. 
Big smile

Edited by Catcher10 - February 09 2016 at 14:32
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2016 at 14:41
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I'm looking at getting 2 more......Day for Night and Beware of Darkness. Both released in January.

Ordered.......1 clear vinyl other standard black wax
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2016 at 15:01
^^ They know a thing or two about loooong albums Tongue I should give them another try someday.

This album is fantastic! Big smile A really cool reissue too. I'll have to get their second album now. Thumbs Up
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2016 at 15:21
^ What is that Sam?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2016 at 16:03
^ This: http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=1137
Contrarily to Snow, these classic RPI albums are really short Tongue
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2016 at 23:33
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ Beware of Darkness too? Shocked I'll look into that as well Thumbs Up
DITTO !!!!!! The one I've been waiting for...........
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2016 at 12:59
Arrived yesterday.......

Feedback is a great tribute to some really great songs, Rush do these songs with class and a lot of respect. It's a very fun listen, Side II is excellent. SQ is very good, Side II sounds better than I. Although a little Feedback is a good thing!

Snakes & Arrows is one of my favorite Rush albums, powerful and dark themes...I love in the liner notes how the band give credit to Lerxst Lifeson for writing/performing Hope "all by his self.." LOL.
SQ of this album you can tell came from a digital master, when you compare the sound of their older albums like Hemisphere's or AFTK which were analog tape, the depth and separation of instruments on the analog recorded albums is better to me. S&A has some compression as the volume levels on instruments are the same in places, they could have done a better job...but it's digital, what can you expect.

Insurgentes is one of my fav SW albums, dark, broody and electronic. Some songs have that "shoegaze" feel to them also raw in some places. SQ is brilliant! Mixed by SW so you know what to expect, all his albums are mastered for vinyl and this one is no exception....amazing sound!

All of these are excellent pressings, especially the Rush albums, 200g pressings by QRP, zero surface noise.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2016 at 16:28
I never heard these Rush albums. I'll get there someday Tongue

The only SWilson studio album I don't have. Was it recently reissued or you only got it now?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2016 at 17:41
^ Only got it now......Every time I go to buy, it was out of stock. When originally came out was not something I thought I wanted on vinyl, now that I have all the others I figured this one had to sound better than the CD to me, and it does.....very fluid recording.

Snakes & Arrows is a harder rock/prog rock album, very much what Rush is. Feedback is a recording of cover songs they did to pay homage to the bands that influenced them in the late 60's, they are all classic rock songs....Thank GOD the Beatles Dead are not their influence LOL. Songs on this album are by The Who, Cream, The Yardbirds and Buffalo Springfield.

Edited by Catcher10 - February 10 2016 at 17:45
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2016 at 16:12
Received both today.......Spinning this one now and WOW the sound is really nice, especially the severe lack of surface noise. The acoustic guitar in the middle of Doorway on Side II is amazing as is Chatauqua. These are outstanding pressings.

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2016 at 16:32
^ Holy crap
They both look OUT-FRIGGIN-STANDING !!
I wonder if Greg will get in any copies ??
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2016 at 16:41
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ Holy crap
They both look OUT-FRIGGIN-STANDING !!
I wonder if Greg will get in any copies ??

I don't know about Greg, I got these from Radiant direct. The clear vinyl are limited quantities......I'm on Side IV now and man these are well pressed in Germany, not sure who but I assume GZ Vinyl. Volume levels are really well done for vinyl nothing compressed like CDs, very dynamic.

Me like Thumbs Up
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2016 at 16:51
^ That sounds too good. I did just e-mail Greg, enquiringly about them. We'll see. It's just easier to go through Syn Phonic coz I usually get around 15 LP's in a batch. I have a reserve pile at the moment, just waiting for him to get in fresh copies of Transatlantic Kaleidoscope as he sold out earlier. In the meantime, I've been getting some Meshuggah LP's through e-bay. Itching to finalise my order with Greg though.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2016 at 16:52
Fantastic! Clap

I went to the local store yesterday, hoping to find the new SWilson album or a Spock's Beard LP (since I found The Light there) and no luck. I bought some thinner outter sleeves thought and since it was much cheaper, I finally sleeved all my LP's. These are also good for my Iron Maiden box set albums Thumbs Up
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2016 at 17:43
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Fantastic! Clap

I went to the local store yesterday, hoping to find the new SWilson album or a Spock's Beard LP (since I found The Light there) and no luck. I bought some thinner outter sleeves thought and since it was much cheaper, I finally sleeved all my LP's. These are also good for my Iron Maiden box set albums Thumbs Up

I think 4-1/2 sold out via the pre-order, probably waiting for a repress...try Amazon. I get my outer sleeves from SleeveCity. They make different grades and some sizes for like 12mm thick box sets.

Cheaper to buy in the 50 pack sets you are right!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2016 at 18:14
^ The store will probably get some copies in a few weeks so I'll wait... it's not like I don't have other albums to listen to LOL

There are sleeves for the whole box set? I sleeved each album individually.
The ones I usually buy are a 25 set of 4.5mm but I got 50 of 3mm for almost the same price. I think it's more than enough for used LP's and I'll use the thicker ones for the more valuable albums Thumbs Up
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2016 at 21:12
Got in the mail a couple of metal albums. I'm finding that not only do they tend to go nuts on the packaging for new releases, but they often accumulate in value pretty fast. 

The Obscura was a no-brainer since I'm quite a fan, but I wasn't initially planning on getting the Sirenia one until I discovered that their previous vinyl (which I own) recently quintupled in value from the 23 bucks I payed for it. That one came with a poster too. Love that cover but I do think the poster would've worked better in landscape format.
I almost wish I bought two, one to keep and one to sell, but I don't know; I'd feel like a scalper in a way. Maybe if my tastes change someday...

The Obscura is three sides as well, with a neat etch design for side D. I wish more new releases did that, especially those about an hour long.

Edited by Prog Sothoth - February 15 2016 at 21:13
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 154155156157158 312>