Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 166167168169170 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2016 at 03:44
^ Interesting haul
Don't often see Billy Joel and Ange in the same picture
Anaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anaon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2016 at 03:50
LOL

To be honest, I don't know Billy Joel at all, just the cover of these albums, so I wanted to give them a try Wink
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2016 at 04:41
I used to have a Billy Joel 2 record set, but came to my senses pretty quickly.......
Anaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anaon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2016 at 07:43
The interesting stuff here are the obscure rare French folk : Maripol, Sourdeline, Annkrist... Very glad to have found them!!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2016 at 18:22
Originally posted by aglasshouse aglasshouse wrote:

Got Acabab for $3 
I hope that one's better than Abacab
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2016 at 18:27
Originally posted by Anaon Anaon wrote:

LOL

To be honest, I don't know Billy Joel at all, just the cover of these albums, so I wanted to give them a try Wink
I once bought that Malicorne album for a few bucks but the inside gatefold spread was so mildew-ridden that it was practically a living and breathing entity, so I ditched it. All I recall was it reminded me of Gryphon (the krumhorns).
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2016 at 10:46
Nice eclectic haul Anaon.......Yesterday the wife and I went to antique stores, one had a ton of vinyl displays. Will post pics later but I found:

Asia and Asia Alpha, I got these because they were the Quiex II pressings, these can be hit or miss on sound. They are special vinyl mix that does not use the traditional black carbon but a black dye, you should be able to see thru the vinyl if held up to light. 

Uli Jon Roth~Beyond the Astral Skies
Phil Collins~Hello I Must Be Going
Alan Parsons Project~Pyramid

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2016 at 10:58
Originally posted by Anaon Anaon wrote:

The interesting stuff here are the obscure rare French folk : Maripol, Sourdeline, Annkrist... Very glad to have found them!!
The Malicorne album has a cool cover. How's the one with the eye and the stairs on the last picture? The cover is intriguing Cool
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2016 at 11:05
^^ I find that APP album many times but still don't have it, despite being a great album. There's always something more difficult to find.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2016 at 15:21
^ I bought it because it was in pristine condition, looks like it was played less than 10x.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2016 at 01:57
^ Love APP's Pyramid album - my favourite
There was a short-lived label in the late-70's called Affinity, later Charley. They released things like National Health, Daevid Allen etc. Also the 'Dawn' label, with bands like Fruupp and Gravy Train. All the vinyl I have of them is black , but a deep burgundy colour when held up to the light. They all sound fine.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2016 at 11:42
I've been painfully spinning some of the Jazz LP's I bought last year, they seemed OK with my previous turntable but with my current one it's easy to notice how bad they sound: unknown low quality sources and pressing by questionable "audiophile" labels Dead I want to get rid of them, especially since Jazz is a genre where the quality is crucial to enjoy it, probably more than Rock music Ermm
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2016 at 11:44
Recent purchases and arrivals.......The Prince album I cannot unbag yet, came yesterday and that was a tough box to open Cry.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2016 at 22:38

Not a bad vinyl, this one pressed in Germany. The lead-in area is pretty scratchy, after that is gets pretty quiet. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2016 at 23:17

If you enjoy Can and vinyl (duhhh) then you must get these reissues by Spoon/Mute, they are all worth every penny spent. The remix/remaster from original tapes is amazing, the pressing quality is numero uno!!!

Brilliant!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2016 at 23:28
^ I got the old United Artists 'Envelope' cover with a back shot of Damo and Jaki. It has a decent sound.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2016 at 12:58
^ Those are hard to find, any original Can releases are tough. So I figure even if I find one its probably in VG shape at best. Might as well get these new issues which are magical...
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2016 at 14:42
For what it is worth, this RTI pressing is magical....Kevin Gray mastered it for Rhino Records, reissued by Warner Bros. My original copy is now in safe keeping.

The dynamics are special, the electronic bass/drums are sweet...Vocals are well, its Prince, pretty nice!

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2016 at 17:16
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

^ Those are hard to find, any original Can releases are tough. So I figure even if I find one its probably in VG shape at best. Might as well get these new issues which are magical...
I was very fortunate to have come across this TM at a fair in the late-90's for 20 bucks. It is in VG shape, but far from pristine. I got an original UA Future Days which had a skip in it, I bought another which side 1 was slightly off centre (? Dunno how that happens) then I bought a brand spanking new version with the UA label and it's fantastic !!
Most of the other Can albums I bought are early pressings in excellent condition. They weren't too difficult to come by here in the 90's. I got sick of seeing Flow Motion and Out Of Reach cropping up often.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2016 at 18:40
Early Can is tough to find for sure......They get scooped up quickly, but most are probably not in decent shape.....I like the new ones since they are remastered from the original tapes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 166167168169170 312>