Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 170171172173174 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Affek View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Affek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2016 at 07:01
Guys, I need your help. I have original Thick As a Brick issue, with CHR 1003 serial number. BUT, this issue also has MS 2072 number, which goes for Portugal release. Any ideas?
Prog Rock (1969-1977)
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2016 at 07:06
^ Several pressings can have the same number. I know the Portuguese one is not gatefold and doesn't include the newspaper.
Anaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anaon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 09:53
Hi there!

Here are my latest vinyl finds! I hunted in another part of France and all I can say is it was great! More records and cheaper!

Tongue
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 11:55
^ Oustanding haul!! 
Stevie Wonder, brilliant album...did that one come with the song book?
Dexy's Midnight Runners, great 80's stuff!
PG, Moodys, DP...great albums all.
Scorps, one of their best albums ever..Police ZM is start to finish a great album.

You did well sir.
Anaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anaon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 11:59
Ah ah thanks Catcher10! I'm listening to Scorpions "Fly To The Rainbow", awesome album!! It's not for their 80's heavy fans for sure but it's great for those who love psyche/hard/prog like me Tongue

There's a big booklet included in Songs In The Key Of Life yes Wink

The big mistake here is probably the Ange album which is one of their worst according to Progarchives ratings LOL
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 12:00
Originally posted by Affek Affek wrote:

Guys, I need your help. I have original Thick As a Brick issue, with CHR 1003 serial number. BUT, this issue also has MS 2072 number, which goes for Portugal release. Any ideas?

Best suggestion is to check on Discogs for the version you have. Best to match up the runout groove etchings, the liner notes should say where the version you have was printed too.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 12:03
Originally posted by Anaon Anaon wrote:

Ah ah thanks Catcher10! I'm listening to Scorpions "Fly To The Rainbow", awesome album!! It's not for their 80's heavy fans for sure but it's great for those who love psyche/hard/prog like me Tongue

The big mistake here is probably the Ange album which is one of their worst according to Progarchives ratings LOL

Correct, their early catalog is for the psych/kraut/hard rock fan, it is definitely not part of their 80's pop metal days.

Good, save that book, most copies do not include it as people usually pull it out and it gets lost. 
Anaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anaon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 12:09
Same goes for The Moody Blues "On The Threshold Of A Dream", nice booklet included Wink
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 12:10
Nice finds! Good to see so many Oldfield albums (I'll have to get the original Hergest Ridge too) and "Fly To The Rainbow" Thumbs Up
I really should check out "Opéra Sauvage".
"Bat Out of Hell" is one LP I'd gladly get rid of, I find it incredibly boring Sleepy
And now "Antisocial" is playing in my head LOL

Edited by Meltdowner - May 17 2016 at 12:18
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 12:22
Ha!! I have never been a Meatloaf fan. Never got the hype of Meatloaf here in the US, big theatrical singing LOL. Take it to a record store and see if they will trade you for something different.
Michael P. Dawson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael P. Dawson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 12:55
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I really should check out "Opéra Sauvage".

"L'Enfant" is one of Vangelis's most beautiful tunes. It was used in the film The Year of Living Dangerously.
Affek View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Affek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 13:07
Checker, I checked it out earlier and it is the thing that led me to my cofusion, as inner grooves say "MS 2072", which is Portugese. BUT, my cover and the sticker on the vinyl itself both say "CHR 1003", which is British. 
Prog Rock (1969-1977)
Anaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anaon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 14:12
Well, I was not sure about Meat Loaf, I always saw this artwork but to be honest I've never heard any of their tunes... If I don't like it I'll trade it for something else Wink Oldfield are for trading too, I already own them (huge fan) except the Compilation I took for the Live side Smile
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 14:39

Checker, I checked it out earlier and it is the thing that led me to my cofusion, as inner grooves say "MS 2072", which is Portugese. BUT, my cover and the sticker on the vinyl itself both say "CHR 1003", which is British. 

I can only guess the vinyl was put in a different sleeve. MS2072 is Reprise Records and CHR is Chrysalis Records......Can you post a picture of the record label.

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2016 at 02:07

Detective Prive I have the album for years - every time I listen, I just laugh. Pop-Ange does NOT work. WTF happened ??
Nice batch there for sure
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2016 at 02:08

Don't know how a dbl post got through ?? Hope Moteur ! didn't cost much....

Edited by Tom Ozric - May 18 2016 at 02:11
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2016 at 07:18
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Ha!! I have never been a Meatloaf fan. Never got the hype of Meatloaf here in the US, big theatrical singing LOL. Take it to a record store and see if they will trade you for something different.
I bought it on the first flea market I went to, and I only knew it by name. If I knew somewhere I could sell albums nearby, I'd have a bit more space in the shelf Tongue

Originally posted by Michael P. Dawson Michael P. Dawson wrote:

"L'Enfant" is one of Vangelis's most beautiful tunes. It was used in the film The Year of Living Dangerously.
I heard it this morning, very nice album Smile

Well, I was not sure about Meat Loaf, I always saw this artwork but to be honest I've never heard any of their tunes... If I don't like it I'll trade it for something else Wink Oldfield are for trading too, I already own them (huge fan) except the Compilation I took for the Live side Smile
I don't have that compilation, does it include any track that isn't on Exposed?
Michael P. Dawson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael P. Dawson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2016 at 07:46

MS 2072 was the number of the original American release (with brown Reprise label).
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2016 at 04:41

I'm quite excited about this one, the first vinyl reissue of Quarteto 1111's Psych Folk self-titled debut, released in 1970. It's a limited audiophile edition, an analog remaster from the original master tape and pressed by Pallas. It also includes a booklet with the story of the band and this album and also about the remastering and lacquer cutting. I only knew the murky CD edition so I was really surprised by the clarity of it. I'm still annoyed by the silly stereo effects though, I guess it was cool back then LOL
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2016 at 09:07
^ Nice Sam!! I have been surprised by some of these obscure bands being reissued on vinyl declaring from original master tapes. Makes sense to me as I suspect most only were released once and the tape is in very good condition. The dynamics captured on tape is pretty amazing from a studio performance and when it is mixed and mastered with care can be a thrilling experience to listen to for the consumer, and vinyl for us.

This is where I had always hoped digital would get to by now.....still a work in progress.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 170171172173174 312>