Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 171172173174175 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Anaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anaon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2016 at 10:13
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Ha!! I have never been a Meatloaf fan. Never got the hype of Meatloaf here in the US, big theatrical singing LOL. Take it to a record store and see if they will trade you for something different.

I bought it on the first flea market I went to, and I only knew it by name. If I knew somewhere I could sell albums nearby, I'd have a bit more space in the shelf Tongue

Originally posted by Anaon Anaon wrote:

Well, I was not sure about Meat Loaf, I always saw this artwork but to be honest I've never heard any of their tunes... If I don't like it I'll trade it for something else Wink Oldfield are for trading too, I already own them (huge fan) except the Compilation I took for the Live side Smile
I don't have that compilation, does it include any track that isn't on Exposed?

Here is the live side :

• The Live Side
  • D1Sheba3:30
    • D2Mirage5:12
      • D3Platinum14:28
        • D4Mount Teide (aka "Mount Teidi")4:34

So definitely not on Exposed which is great Wink

I heard the album by Meat Loaf and erm... This is not my stuff, it's always "over the top" to my ears... It goes straight away in the records for trading list Big smile
        Tom Ozric View Drop Down
        Prog Reviewer
        Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2016 at 14:56
        I HATE Meatloaf. Even if Todd R and Utopia played on Bat Out Of Hell. Pompous, OTT commercial claptrap that goes on waaaay too long.
        Catcher10 View Drop Down
        Forum Senior Member
        Forum Senior Member
        VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2016 at 09:21
        So I am breaking down and getting a vinyl record vacuum cleaning machine. Been looking at them for awhile but they are pricey, I had zero desire to spend $650 on a VPI machine, you can get them used or a demo for like $500...but still.
        I clean records using a spray solution and then wiping, also use the Discwasher brush which does a decent job....The problem is wiping just pushed the dirt around and actually can push it further into the grooves, some comes off but not all. I don't buy a lot of used but when I do it can be tough to clean them well.

Pro-Ject came out with a nice machine this year, well priced and the reviews are good. It has what I need..
        Motor to spin the record
        Powerful vacuum
        Storage tank for the used solution
        Easy disposal of solution, and best part is the motor goes in both directions, really helps to give you a dry record when done.

I heard a demo of some records cleaned by a machine once and it was really like night and day. Usually ticks, pops, clicks is simply microscopic dirt that is sitting in the groove and makes the noise when your stylus runs over the dirt, imagine the sound when you remove this debris from the groove, also a super clean record will add time to your stylus wear, getting an extra 200 hours is money in your pocket!

Here is the link for the cleaner I ordered, should have it by Friday, I paid less than $400 delvd.

Meltdowner View Drop Down
        Special Collaborator
        Special Collaborator
        Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2016 at 09:38
        ^ Fantastic! Let us know your experience with it Thumbs Up

My current cleaning solution is great but it sure takes a long time to dry. It's much better than spraying though. I used the machine the other day to clean my copy of Elektriktus' Electronic Mind Waves, which I was really unhappy with, and it did a much better job than the other solution. It still has pops and distortions in a few places but it no longer has a muffled sound and it's much easier to listen to it now. How could a brand new record be so dirty? Wacko
        Special Collaborator
        Special Collaborator
        Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2016 at 09:48
        Originally posted by Anaon Anaon wrote:

So definitely not on Exposed which is great Wink

I heard the album by Meat Loaf and erm... This is not my stuff, it's always "over the top" to my ears... It goes straight away in the records for trading list Big smile
        Not a single track in common and I love the Platinum Suite Big smile

Thumbs Up
        Catcher10 View Drop Down
        Forum Senior Member
        Forum Senior Member
        VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2016 at 10:08

My current cleaning solution is great but it sure takes a long time to dry. It's much better than spraying though. I used the machine the other day to clean my copy of Elektriktus' Electronic Mind Waves, which I was really unhappy with, and it did a much better job than the other solution. It still has pops and distortions in a few places but it no longer has a muffled sound and it's much easier to listen to it now. How could a brand new record be so dirty? Wacko

There is some "stuff" on the new records, there is a mold release agent either sprayed on the stamper or some say it is within the vinyl mix the record is stamped from.
        That release agent is what you are seeing as you pull the new vinyl out of the sleeve....It needs to be cleaned off as best you can.
        Catcher10 View Drop Down
        Forum Senior Member
        Forum Senior Member
        VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2016 at 20:13
        Catcher10 View Drop Down
        Forum Senior Member
        Forum Senior Member
        VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2016 at 21:41
        Have not spun this one in awhile.....good metal

Catcher10 View Drop Down
        Forum Senior Member
        Forum Senior Member
        VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2016 at 20:55

Arrived today, setup is very simple. I was cleaning records in 20 minutes......First up was Marillion~Script For a Jesters Tear. Original copy I always cleaned by the wipe method and found that it always left dirt on my stylus......Not only is there no dirt on the stylus but the sound is crystal clear! The only thing I hear is an occasional tick from the album being old but most of them are gone now.

I'm happy....better sound improvement! Only 599 to go LOL
        Special Collaborator
        Special Collaborator
        Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 04:13

There is some "stuff" on the new records, there is a mold release agent either sprayed on the stamper or some say it is within the vinyl mix the record is stamped from.
        That release agent is what you are seeing as you pull the new vinyl out of the sleeve....It needs to be cleaned off as best you can.
        I never noticed anything like that Ermm

Arrived today, setup is very simple. I was cleaning records in 20 minutes......First up was Marillion~Script For a Jesters Tear. Original copy I always cleaned by the wipe method and found that it always left dirt on my stylus......Not only is there no dirt on the stylus but the sound is crystal clear! The only thing I hear is an occasional tick from the album being old but most of them are gone now.

I'm happy....better sound improvement! Only 599 to go LOL
        That's awesome Thumbs Up You'll want to clean them all up now Big smile Does it also remove static?
        Catcher10 View Drop Down
        Forum Senior Member
        Forum Senior Member
        VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 10:08
        ^ It does Sam...the solution they sent me also eliminates static. Almost any liquid solution will help with static, in my summer it is dry (little humidity) so static is an issue. I keep a small bowl of water close to my TT to help keep moisture in the air.
        Here is the Pro-ject solution page
        Special Collaborator
        Special Collaborator
        Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 10:49
        That was a silly question, it's obviously the liquid that removes the static, not the vacuum cleaning Wacko Damn, that is one expensive solution Shocked The link made me laugh, wash*t LOL
        Catcher10 View Drop Down
        Forum Senior Member
        Forum Senior Member
        VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 19:33
        Yes it is......I will research another brand because it is not available here. There are plenty of brands, also a lot of people mix their own brew.
        Catcher10 View Drop Down
        Forum Senior Member
        Forum Senior Member
        VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2016 at 19:46
        Special Collaborator
        Special Collaborator
        Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2016 at 05:00
        ^ Updated photo Cool That's one album I'm glad I have on blu ray, it just seems better uninterrupted Smile
        By the way, I saw the other day Music Hall has now distribution in my country, including one store not far from me I didn't know Shocked It's too late to buy a new turntable but now I know a place to upgrade my system Thumbs Up
        Catcher10 View Drop Down
        Forum Senior Member
        Forum Senior Member
        VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2016 at 10:38
        ^ Yea some pics are getting old, the original of this one included a cartridge that is 2 removed from what I use now....Trying to update some as I go.
        I have the album on digital so I can play thru also, I agree.....but since the album is really two albums I don't play all 4 sides usually.

That's cool, MH stuff is priced good, especially for the quality and sound you get...Performs well above price point. You won't need a new table for a long time......
        Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
        Collaborator
        Collaborator
        Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2016 at 12:20
        A few vinyls I recently got:

The Blood Ceremony is actually more purple than it looks...I really needed a purple vinyl in my collection, nice surprise! Plus a "blue" BOC was kind of needed too. 

The Dreaming & Tyranny albums are both used but in great shape...from a Burlington VT store.
        Pastmaster View Drop Down
        Forum Senior Member
        Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pastmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2016 at 12:28
        Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

A few vinyls I recently got:

The Blood Ceremony is actually more purple than it looks...I really needed a purple vinyl in my collection, nice surprise! Plus a "blue" BOC was kind of needed too. 

The Dreaming & Tyranny albums are both used but in great shape...from a Burlington VT store.

Love the Blood Ceremony album and Tyranny and Mutation. Clap
        Special Collaborator
        Special Collaborator
        Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2016 at 12:31
        ^^ Nice finds! I recently got into Blood Ceremony, it's cool band. I really need purple vinyl as well Big smile
        Tom Ozric View Drop Down
        Prog Reviewer
        Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2016 at 16:13
        ^ The vinyl of Yes' Magnification album is purple. Not many releases in purple.
        Nik Turner's latest is a brilliant marble colour of swirly deep pink and green, wish I could post a pic.....
         Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 171172173174175 312>